Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

'Supergraphics' anger tenants in L.A. office buildings

11 posts in this topic

'Supergraphics' anger tenants in L.A. office buildings

Ben Blauner, an asset manager for Cambra, said he did not know the reason for his company's decision. But Councilman Jack Weiss said the Los Angeles Fire Department had notified the building's owner that the sign violates safety laws.

"It just seems to me that these supergraphics can make it harder for people to get out in a fire, harder for the firefighters to get in, and can themselves catch on fire," Weiss said. "So it's egregious that a landlord would put his tenants in any of those situations."

FULL STORY: http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/f...0,6970964.story

I wonder in someone could elaborate on how exactly it is a fire safety hazard. I can understand the "supergraphic" catching on fire and I can understand that it "might" pose a risk to firefighters when venting the window in that one might not be able to vent the window correctly but what fire hazards are they talking about specifically.

I wonder in someone could elaborate on how exactly it is a fire safety hazard. I can understand the "supergraphic" catching on fire and I can understand that it "might" pose a risk to firefighters when venting the window in that one might not be able to vent the window correctly but what fire hazards are they talking about specifically.

Ummmm....you JUST mentioned three in which you stated you understand...pretty clear cut.

I could see a problem with aerials and ground ladders if they are low enough. The graphic could probabally cause interference with placement.

I am looking for more than just my musing.....I am looking for industry specifics, reasons, examples and things like that.

I just listed what I thought could be a problem but I have no first hand knowledge on High Rise Firefighter I would like some information regarding the supergraphic and its potential as a fire hazard.

I am looking for information from say an officer or firefighter from one of the bigger cities (NYC, Yonkers and White Plains come to mind), regarding tactics and need to knows for these signs for my own information and for posterity purposes.

I miss the old days when advertisers just painted stuff on the bare brick sides of buildings.

Not sure about California building Codes, but the placement of such signs may decrease the glazing requirements for buildings - they are effectively blocking the windows.....

Umm....if any of the windows are low enough for escape - that would probably be an issue too. I don't have my Code books with me to look up an specifics right now though.

Having been in L.A. City numerous times, especially on the "Sunset Strip" where several of these signs are, they are made from material only meant for short term use, to promote a movie to boost the egos of directors driving home to Beverly Hills, etc.

One issue I could see is this gigantic vinyl based supergraphic catching fire and raining down on those below, especially on a windy day....which could also set off brush fires easily.....not good in that area.

I am looking for more than just my musing.....I am looking for industry specifics, reasons, examples and things like that.

I just listed what I thought could be a problem but I have no first hand knowledge on High Rise Firefighter I would like some information regarding the supergraphic and its potential as a fire hazard.

I am looking for information from say an officer or firefighter from one of the bigger cities (NYC, Yonkers and White Plains come to mind), regarding tactics and need to knows for these signs for my own information and for posterity purposes.

As discussed this type of sign can inhibit and potentially block any entry into or out of a building.

Anything that is combustible poses itself as a fire hazard. If the sign were to catch fire, I would think that it could reach high enough temperatures to cause a window to fail and then allow the fire and products of combustion to enter the structure. Also on fire or not I'm willing to bet it wouldn't feel all that great to have that sign come down on top you.

In NY State I know that there is a restriction on how much combustible material can be used for wall and ceiling covering. I wonder if this would fall under that being its exterior?

California follows the ICC as far as Codes (as does NYS)...I jsut did a quick search, and did not find anything specific to this application.....

I do not see the Property Maintenance Code listed however, which would probably have bearing if this was in NY.

I ahve seen these types of displays here - in fact in Albany there is a huge sign on a parking garage - however that is just what the structure is.....a parking garage....no office space impacted.

I think the greatest fire risk is going to to be to the people on the ground, but its probably less of a risk than tar off a roof. This material is fairly thin and with the perforations there isn't a whole lot of mass to it. I don't see it sustaining a flame long enough for it to commute the fire to the floor or floors above. Its also very easy to cut or tear. Shatter the glass, make a hole, and you should be able to tear out a nice big sheet of broken glass. A similar product thats more common is the vinyl car wraps. Same thing except smaller holes on the cars (I don't remember if its thicker or the same on the cars).