Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Police Officers With Shaved Heads-Any Difference in Perception?

10 posts in this topic

I was watching "Cops" today, and the officer remarked that often people make assumption about his personality based on his shaved head, thinking he is more militaristic and I guess more "intimidating. The officer remarked it was more because he was going bald anyways/

I agree, I clean shaven Police Officer can look very intimiadting, but in my eyes, professional as well.

Have any of you encountered such an issue?

I shave my head because I'm folically challenged. B) I think the perception is more directed toward the officers that have the military hair cut (Jar Head). Plus, the short hair cut is easy to manage so you don't look like a mess.

I was watching "Cops" today, and the officer remarked that often people make assumption about his personality based on his shaved head, thinking he is more militaristic and I guess more "intimidating. The officer remarked it was more because he was going bald anyways/

I agree, I clean shaven Police Officer can look very intimiadting, but in my eyes, professional as well.

Have any of you encountered such an issue?

I think it makes them look more aerodynamic!

Doesn't change anything for me, even before I've worked next and with them.

If anything with a few of them it serves to remind me how happy I am that I'm not losing my hair. Getting a few more gray's here and there..yes...but not falling out!

The only thing that I've ever seen that I didn't think was appropriate and this was during my time "on the other side" was a neighboring dept. kept their bike patrol going for extended periods of time even if the temps dipped. Some of the guys would wear a neoprene face cover to help with the cold (which I can't blame them when they were still stuck on a bike when it was in the upper 30's...then again even the 40's or 50's with wind sucks). But when you threw in the oakley (best sunglasses on earth) or other full frame like sunglasses you couldn't see an ounce of their face. If I couldn't identify guys that I knew personally, how would the public?

I also always found it hilarious to see narco's or other guys with long hair or facial hair like goatees in uniform.

If anything i feel bad for them during the winter months a naked head has gotta be cold! During the summer too...gotta watch out for sunburn!

In EMS I've seen people react differently to me based upon my hair, but the reactions last for seconds. As soon as you open your mouth and make eye contact people figure out what you're about. Body language and intent are so much more important that what is or isn't on your head. But then again when the police are involved some people are just looking for an excuse to complain.

In EMS I've seen people react differently to me based upon my hair, but the reactions last for seconds. As soon as you open your mouth and make eye contact people figure out what you're about. Body language and intent are so much more important that what is or isn't on your head. But then again when the police are involved some people are just looking for an excuse to complain.

agreed.

It's not the hair, or lack thereof, that makes the officer. It's the whole package. How you carry yourself, how you speak and how you deal with the public, is what will form their perception. I work with Officer's who look like they sleep in their uniform. How can you take care of the public, if you can't take care of yourself???

I shaved my head for 5 years until recently. I think it does make people think twice ( at times) before challenging you but i also agree with the fact that its the whole package... you can have a shaved head and still not command respect, it's how you are as a professional

I have had this conversation with a few local cops I know as well as some of my peers.

What I think it comes down to is attitude over hair. If a cop comes in with a military style haircut giving orders, taking names, kicking butt. Then the public is going to have some problems with the police. We do not live in a military state, the people who protect us should not be trying to make themselves feel/look like they are anyway involved in anything like the military even if they were previously. There is no reason for that kind of intimidation and attitude.

Officers that I see that a rough and tumble with terrible attitudes regarding how they handle situations and their treatment of John Q Public are the ones that always get terrible reputations and end up creating hostility between law enforcement and the community. When I see an officer barking orders looking like he just stepped into his police uniform from a military uniform it does not make me think highly with the officer nor does it create an environment of cooperation and respect. Respect is not given it is earned, and officers who intimidate via how they care themselves and look do not foster this sense. When I have an encounter with an officer who does not handle themselves in a manner I believe to be appropriate I make sure not only do I make sure the officer knows that he is not giving off the right attitude and I make sure his superiors know as well. Officers that insist on breaking balls contribute the most to this problem. I am/we are not to be intimidated or threatened by police officers, it is the attitude and performance of the officer dictates the extent in which one is going to find problems.

That being said, I know officers who are bald that I can trust to do the right thing and have a great attitude and I know officers who are bald that I know I never want to deal with while they are working because I know there high and mighty attitude will do much more harm than good.