Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

East Fishkill- Rollover Tractor Trailer 1-23-09

18 posts in this topic

East Fishkill FD, Mobile Life, and the NYSP Thruway were dispatched for a reported tractor-trailer accident with entrapment on I-84 I/A/O Lime Kiln Rd. As EFFD/ML/ and NYSP were in route, they were advised by DC 911 that their accident involved a tandem tractor-trailer with its driver trapped and also that the vehicle was carrying 500 lbs of a flammable liquid which was leaking from one of the trailers...... Here's a few photo's of what they had...... I have many more and I will post more later as well as a link to some video...... Trust me - I really had to work to get these shots...... Thanks to EFFD for their hospitality and cooperation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

460048791_25vtc-X2-1.jpg

East Fishkill Firefighters work to free the trapped driver.....

460048774_jbHbH-X2-1.jpg

EFFD Rescue personnel and Mobile Life medics stand-by as firefighters continue with their extrication.....

460049310_pbsSx-X2-1.jpg

A NYSP Thruway officer checks on the progress of the extrication.......

460049590_Zaf66-X2-1.jpg

Getting ready for patient removal.......

460050276_e6TKA-X2-1.jpg

Still working........

More later..........

Edited by Truck4

Couldn't have been much of a haz-mat given the pictures... :)

It wasn't....... That's what it was reported as....If you listened to the play-by-play over the radio (Updates from DC911 via a cellular caller on scene I believe), it didn't sound so benign....... Once they got their, got the bill of laden, and checked everything it wasn't what it started out to be... I was going to add more to the narritive but I've been up for almost 24 hrs for the second time in three days and I'M BEAT.....

Edited by Photounit

Here is a link to a video of the scene......

http://www.vimeo.com/2931145

The video will be active at about ~7:50 am.......

Ps...... If this post turns into another SCBA strap post then this will be it for me.......

I love seeing East Fishkill in action. For an all volunteer agency they act as if they train every day like setting up tarps to put tools on and usualy have a decent turnout of manpower from what I have seen.

Was the truck laying across the median thus closing 84 in both directions?

Great photos as usual.

I love seeing East Fishkill in action. For an all volunteer agency they act as if they train every day like setting up tarps to put tools on and usualy have a decent turnout of manpower from what I have seen.

Great photos as usual.

Thanks for the EFFD kudos. The truck was laying on its side blocking both travel lanes in the eastbound direction along with a section of the median. Westbound was unaffected as the median in that area is about 100' wide. Upon arrival, we were immediately notified by Thruway DOT that the patient was pinned beneath the steering wheel and that an undetermined amount of explosives were on the bill of lading. My IC immediately ordered 84 Eastbound shut down completely (on our arrival, traffic was inching past the scene on the shoulder). Patient was extricated and transported via medivac which also landed in the eastbound lanes. We were eventually able to partially reopen the road after verifying the actual contents and ensuring it was safe to do so.

Thanks again Bill for the great shots you manage to get :)

Just some clarification on the trailer contents;

5000lbs of paint and non-regulated solvents

20lbs of propanol

500lbs of CO2

We were originally told 5000lbs of highly flammable explosives.

The appropiate resources were requested and once the correct information was verified the response was downgraded.

Thanks Bill, once again!

Nice pics as usaual bill . Job well done EFFD. I 84 can be scary enough just driving on it :D

East Fishkill trains on a regular basis, especially for MVAs. Not saying they can't handle fire, but MVAs are their bread and butter operations. With having I-84 and the TSP, the gamut of what they might run into on a daily basis is vast, and this is just one example.

This is the reason 3 years in a row, EFFD sent a competition team to the Dover (Dutchess NY) FD Extrication Competition, and walked away 3 years in a row with 1st place. The third year, in fact, EFFD sent their "rookie" crew of extrication techs, with the average age being 21-22, and still walked away with 1st place. I still have my T-shirt from that day!

East Fishkill trains on a regular basis, especially for MVAs. Not saying they can't handle fire, but MVAs are their bread and butter operations. With having I-84 and the TSP, the gamut of what they might run into on a daily basis is vast, and this is just one example.

This is the reason 3 years in a row, EFFD sent a competition team to the Dover (Dutchess NY) FD Extrication Competition, and walked away 3 years in a row with 1st place. The third year, in fact, EFFD sent their "rookie" crew of extrication techs, with the average age being 21-22, and still walked away with 1st place. I still have my T-shirt from that day!

Do you send Ricky Bobby to those competitions to stand there, get in all the pictures, and do nothing more than hold the lieutenant's lid? Just kidding Ant. :P

Yeah, that was a 3-4 years ago, your still a rookie! lol :D

Great photos as usual.

Thank you for the compliment!

It wasn't....... That's what it was reported as....If you listened to the play-by-play over the radio (Updates from DC911 via a cellular caller on scene I believe), it didn't sound so benign....... Once they got their, got the bill of laden, and checked everything it wasn't what it started out to be... I was going to add more to the narritive but I've been up for almost 24 hrs for the second time in three days and I'M BEAT.....

Bill, that was in no way a 'dis on you! I was just commenting on the lack of anything "haz-mat" in any of the pictures. I'm GLAD it wasn't a haz-mat job and I'm glad that the outcome was positive.

Great photos!

Again Bill great shots, thanks for getting out in the field so we get to see the action, up close and personal.