Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eckyphats

Long Ridge (Fairfield) - Working Fire - 01/27/09

39 posts in this topic

It comes down to preparing for the big one before it happens by training and developing tactics to handle the situations we can expect to encounter based on our response areas. Lets stop making excuses as to why fires have gone bad, man up and make some positive change so we perform better in the future.

Very true PJ.

Having all the specialized training under the sun is great, but useless if members can't effectively put lines in operation and keep them operating in conjunction with the other basics, such as searches, forcible entry, ventilation, and overhaul.

Effective training emphasising the standard operations for your particular response area are what will best serve any department. In other words train as you will work.

Cogs

These are great short trainning videos I look foward to them each tuesday, also good is USFA coffee break trainning you can have both of these emailed to you weekly

Edited by jd783

Just one correction, there was not a 45 minute ETA for an on scene cascade. There was a 45 minute ETA for the on call mechanic who was coming back to fill bottles. Due to the distance to the fire garage, he ended up shuttling them between the scene and Long Ridge Station 1, which was the closest cascade.

Just one correction, there was not a 45 minute ETA for an on scene cascade. There was a 45 minute ETA for the on call mechanic who was coming back to fill bottles. Due to the distance to the fire garage, he ended up shuttling them between the scene and Long Ridge Station 1, which was the closest cascade.

Thanks for the correction, didn't mean to spread wrong information.

Speaking of water supply problems... to anyone who was there, is it true that the homeowner was on scene telling or as I heard it screaming about the dry hydrant that they had installed on their property? And a very large pond on the property in close proximity? Like I said, it is rumor, I wasn't there, and until someone that was there clarifies it, will stay just that.

From the Google map view, there is as pond either directly adjacent or on the property, only a few yards from the structure. You can't tell if it was accessible or tenable from the view though.

Edited by Slayer61

When discussing ponds in the area remember the time of year, snow and ice conditions. You may not have been able to access and the pond may have been frozen to the point of being useless. I was not there but I have seen that before.