Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Sign Language

12 posts in this topic

In reference to the article on the deaf fire chief

Question for all services

How many people know sign Language? What other methods do you use to communicate with people with certain disabilities (hearing, sight, etc)

One of my first run in's with a deaf patient many years ago had stumped my partner on how to communicate, that's when I grabbed the clip board and wrote my questions out and the person understood what I was asking and wrote his reply

another issue is dealing with people who do not speak or understand English

I can't answer to the first part of your question, but I have heard of courses on Spanish Language for First Responders (particularly EMS personnel) being offered in the area (CT). I'm not quite sure where to look to find them though.

Kwikpoint has some good tools...

post-5594-1233811707.jpg

Edited by nycemt728

Our county has a language line and a lot of police officers in the area can speak spanish and a few other languages i know of. As far as the deaf most can read lips at least the ones i have dealt with

Edited by JHK3605

Kwikpoint has some good tools...

Those picture things are helpful, but I find they take forever to find the relevant photo and they are a pain to use.

The small EMS BLS field guide I carry has a basic Spanish translation section, luckily haven't had to use it yet, but it is nice to have. I have heard some interesting stories about calls and the language barrier.

I know sign lang, a paper and pen have worked well or maying a yes/no board and having patients point works very well. The vital signs offered a sign lang ems course many years ago, and it was great. Def a good topic to have at a drill, we have had speakers in on how to work w/ the Autistic population. Just an FYI- many deaf people can read lips, so speak slowly and clearly at them.

I am in the process of learning it with my 10 year old daughter.

Edited by hilltophunter

We are also learning a little bit, my Wife actually knows a goob bit...but we taught our children when they were infants (one still is) so they can communicate before they talk. It is amazing how fast they pick up on it.

Granted I don't imagine we could use the same words to communicate with a deaf adult, but..it's a start.

Sign language is a pretty easy thing to learn at least the basics. When my wife and I had our daughter, we learned that babies can pick up sign language before they develop their vocal skills so we picked up enough to be able to communicate with her. I've only had to use it once on a call but it did make the difference.

Sign language is an awesome tool but as with any language you have to practice it to remain proficient.

As far as other languages...you have to take a structured class and again be comfortable with using it to learn proper phonics and be continually proficient at its use. I am constantly picking up more and more of spanish from being on the streets in addition to the college level courses I took which is often a requirement for some degree programs when you transfer to 4 year schools. Quick fix programs as I call them often do not give you enough of the language to be proficient. I've seen this with spanish for medical providers and PD programs where there isn't enough verb conjugation and other details of the spanish language. Its one thing to be able to ask things...its completely different to be able to get and understand an answer.

I also developed a system of 5 x 8 index cards that were laminated and then kept together by a large ring that asked many of the simple questions that we need to get information and treatment. It has the question in english on the back and spanish on the front and involve sample questions, pedigree information and general complaint info to at least get a start. I've also thought about changing it to a form that has the questions in spanish with the english portion under it in italics so the person can write out detailed information or circle yes or no. It for some reason to me and to many others I've talked to, to be able to read and understand spanish, then it is to speak and interpret.

The way I learnd to communicate with my cousin was by learning the alphabet first.

post-17023-1233849409.jpg

We would just spell out the words and as I advanced he taught me the actual signs. I am no where near a pro, but 99% of the time he can understand what I am trying to say and I can understand him. It realy comes down to using it on a regular basis. Most departments that I know of have some type of SOP's when it comes to sign aswell... such as directional signs for ground guiding vehicles, and in situations where noise is an issue, such as roof ventalation, and interior attack. It all comes down to training so that you can get your point across when you realy need to and to keep everyone safe.

Edited by FF31-126