Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

NYPD Field Testing 2009 Nissan Altima "Hybrids" for Patrol

26 posts in this topic

NYPD Field Testing 2009 Nissan Altima "Hybrids" for Patrol

NEW NYPD RMPs to be GREEN!

No, they are not returning to the old color scheme.

These RMPs will be green as in environmentally friendly.

The department is field testing a number of

new 2009 Nissan Altima "hybrids" for patrol duty.

STORY:

http://www.policeny.com/

post-3-1233998156.jpg

Photo Credit: Chris McSweeney

Wait till the first tie one of our parts changers has to fix on of these things. You'd have a batter chance of decyphering a cryptic message from Mars.

I think we should be buying american made, no?

Amen to that.

While I realize that Nissan itself is based over-seas, the Hybrid Altimas are built in Smyrna, Tennessee. Also keep in mind that NYC Sanitation already has a huge fleet of Toyota Prius... "The Big 3" are just way behind on "green" technology.

While I realize that Nissan itself is based over-seas, the Hybrid Altimas are built in Smyrna, Tennessee. Also keep in mind that NYC Sanitation already has a huge fleet of Toyota Prius... "The Big 3" are just way behind on "green" technology.

We've had this discussion here before. When you buy a foreign car, the wealth associated with the sale goes overseas. Yeah it's nice that we get some jobs when the care is manufactured here, the profit is going overseas and making us a poorer nation.

While I realize that Nissan itself is based over-seas, the Hybrid Altimas are built in Smyrna, Tennessee.

How true. I'd rather buy from a foreign company that provides jobs to Americans than buy from an American company that closes US plants to send them overseas while asking the government for bailouts

first the impalas, now this...great :rolleyes:

I really can't see them holding up in the conditions that they are going to be put through. There is not the best acceleration in the world, and you hop one curb and trash the electric motor, that will be an expensive fix.

I think they are just looking at the options to see what's out there. They also have the Escape hybrids. Central park Pct has/had a Prius before and i

IIRC. An Accord hybrid. Just look at the Dodge Charger, we bought a few when they were all the rage, and that was it. Still mostly Impalas.

Reminds me more of an impala than a charger or crown vic.....

Looks good to me, as long as it gets the job done and has no issues.

Does the hybrid model get better gas mileage or something to justify the increase in price or is it for P.R. purposes.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Since when are they putting the model year on the license plate?

I really can't see them holding up in the conditions that they are going to be put through. There is not the best acceleration in the world, and you hop one curb and trash the electric motor, that will be an expensive fix.

Agreed. There's also the issue of collision repair - a minor accident may take one of these out of service for some time. And, if the information I've been given is corrrect, they're great until the batteries need to be replaced and then you're paying big bucks.

Apparently since this year. :P

As for the whole "made in America" argument. Even "American" made vehicles have parts, etc. from Mexico, Canada, and overseas. Some are even assembled in Mexico. "Foreign" vehicles are much the same so what is really "American" anymore?

It sounds like the NYPD is at least making an effort to be more environmentally friendly - I'm sure there will still be plenty of conventional vehicles in the fleet too.

Are these becoming patrol vehicles or are they going to traffic enforcement? The newest traffic cars now look identical to real police cars except on the back beneath NYPD it also says traffic. I'm not sure about the sides or front.

the other thing that I don't think many people will think about is the effect of the lights and equipment on the alternator and batteries since that light bar has the highest draw in amps of any bar on the market. I think that it is a nice idea but wouldn't it be more of a benifit to the environment to convert the FDNY fleet to run on biodeisel than to put a handfull of "token" hybrids on the road?

NYPD started doing that in about July of last year.

The really important question is whether or not anyone will actually save any money from all this. From what I've heard, hybrids offer no financial benefits right now. (Yes, they do offer environmental benefits)

If i had to guess, i would agree with whoever said these would go to Traffic. Maybe even Auxilary. They now all have the same paint scheme.

If they really must insist on going hybrid... They really should explore the Escape.. I feel it could handle the abuse much better than a sedan in this scenario. Those patrols are asked to do alot, and a vehicle with 0 history of patrol operations doesn't have a bright future in the field. Nissan's are decent vehicles, but they are complex and not intended for this kind of severe abuse.

NYPD Traffic currently runs new Toyota Prius' and Ford Escapes that are marked very similiar to a regular patrol RMP.

Those Hybrids will 'see' patrol duty much the same way the Tahoe Hybrids do. They will only be operated by Captains and Deputy Inspectors, the patrol guy will never, ever see them.

just like the impalas, with all the equitment and a possible partner in the car too - I just can't see doing a whole tour in one of these.

Who is going to bring back the caprice? As much as you may like the way they look, much like the Mack Engine they are gone. So tonight I had a few beers with an NYOD Capt and he claims these cars ar enot for severe service. They will not be used for regular patrol. The toyota hybrids have proven cost effective for traffic and Nissan is offering a comparable price for a larger vehicle with similar performance as the Prius. It looks like a win win for NYPD. Good job.

Edited by ny10570