Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Northeast Regional Law Enforcement Explorer Association "SWAT Team"

14 posts in this topic

Victory! My first successful photo post Attached are some of the pictures from the Northeast Regional Law Enforcement Explorer Association (NERLEEA) Travel Team. We are training for the Federal Way Tactical Explorer Challenge this weekend (2/21-2/22.) This event is a SWAT team based competition which focuses mainly on teamwork and communication skills, but tactics, priority of life and safety are also very important portions. Thanks to members of the Fairfield PD, CT State Police Troop K/Emergency Services Unit, and Seacoast SRT (Regional SRT from the Portsmouth, NH area) for their invaluable training and assistance. Also the Manchester Police Department and NH Air National Guard for use of buildings to practice in. As a note, I didn't take all these pictures, but alot were taken with my camera. John Visone, the director of NERLEEA took a lot of them, so thanks also to him.

More Pictures are at www.nerleea.org under the photos section, click the links that have "Travel Team Training"

www.nerleea.org

Original Event post:

Federal Way Police Explorer Tactical Challenge 2009

Team making entry during practice at Manchester, CT PD

post-5878-1234876805.jpg

Team entering a dark room in an active shooter response.

post-5878-1234876816.jpg

Captain Brake (Portsmouth Police Explorers) slows the team down, as the suspect has stopped firing.

post-5878-1234876825.jpg

Assault team takes down the hostage takers and secures the hostages in bus assault training.

post-5878-1234876831.jpg

LT Paul Fitzmaurice from CSP K and myself approach a suspect to be handcuffed.

post-5878-1234876839.jpg

I go hands-on as the Contact Officer, while "Fitz" covers with his long gun.

post-5878-1234876847.jpg

There will be more pictures coming as I get the better quality ones the Portsmouth guys took. Many more of the bus assault, which was my favorite part.

Oh, also, thanks to the Portsmouth and Manchester Police Explorer Posts for providing roleplayers for our hostages and suspects. A couple of them took some good hits here and there... they were all troopers about it.

great stuff, thanks for sharing and best of luck this weekend

Sage...if you might ever need some input from the tactical medic side..PM me and I'll try to help you out anyway I can.

On a side note...and just food for thought...besides video games...does anyone else wonder about teaching "explorers" tactical maneuvers, tactics and stances somewhat concerning? I'm not poking...I like to see young jedi in a positive role doing something they enjoy...but percentage wise 1 or 2 could end up becoming problem children rather quickly or in the future and now have tactical training in a sense which could make them more efficient if they go off and become an active shooter somewhere. Just thought I put my thoughts out there besides the positives (explorers re-read that word again...I see the positives in it and I am not questioning your or threatening your interest so don't get defensive in posting) that came to mind along with a couple of ehhhh...hmmmm....

like to see young jedi in a positive role doing something they enjoy...but percentage wise 1 or 2 could end up becoming problem children rather quickly or in the future and now have tactical training in a sense which could make them more efficient if they go off and become an active shooter somewhere.

I see your point, However, the kids at Columbine and the guy at Virginia Tech, they had no training and did major damage. We shouldn't punish those who want to do right because of the 0.0000001 percent chance one might do wrong. And, the same thing could be said for adult SWAT members, who have also used their training to hurt people.

As pointed out, I don't think that this excercise is taught from a typical "SWAT" curriculum. Rather, I think these excercises are designed to build teamwork and leadership, and keep explorer post activities exciting.

Great photos, and great job, guys! I love to see an active explorer post such as yours!

On a side note...and just food for thought...besides video games...does anyone else wonder about teaching "explorers" tactical maneuvers, tactics and stances somewhat concerning? I'm not poking...I like to see young jedi in a positive role doing something they enjoy...but percentage wise 1 or 2 could end up becoming problem children rather quickly or in the future and now have tactical training in a sense which could make them more efficient if they go off and become an active shooter somewhere. Just thought I put my thoughts out there besides the positives (explorers re-read that word again...I see the positives in it and I am not questioning your or threatening your interest so don't get defensive in posting) that came to mind along with a couple of ehhhh...hmmmm....

Good point ALS, the Officers who run the Federal Way Challenge address that issue in their website. The tactics are not the most important part of this competition, its the teamwork, planning and communications. That being said, we have received tactical training from the units I mentioned, but they are really crash-courses designed to make us able to react and think as a unit. The stances, maneuvers and formations are all very basic stuff, we're not doing complex simultaneous assaults They provided us with different possible formations so that myself and the other Captain on the team could decide what worked best for our needs and what fit within our (limited) scope of training and abilities. I definitely understand your point, there is a possibility that somebody could use this to harmful ends, but I can speak for my post when I say there is a background check to even be a MEMBER of the post much less a member of the Travel Team. In order to be approved for the NERLEEA team our post advisory staff must say so, and we are very selective. "Rookie" Explorers wanting to get on the team must undergo an interview process from the senior members and we always interview their advisors. Still, a fair question and good food for thought, but I vouch for my team.

Also, thanks for the tactical-medic offer, but at this point I'm not an EMT. Maybe next year.. Thanks bud.

Edited by SageVigiles

Sorry, but I really don't think Kid's should be learning Police/Swat tactics.

Most kid's today can't even start a lawn mower, change oil in a car,

or even know Basic American History.

So before they put on tactical gear, get a plastic gun, and storm into a

building, maybe step back and really think this is out.

Maybe even talking to some Police Officers, or Military people

who have been shot/injured, or have had to shoot somebody,

and explain this is no joke.

No intentions on insulting any of these young people who are explorers.

Just dont think its the BEST thing they should be learning right now.

Nice pics thanks for sharing

Nice pics, i'll stick to playing Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 on xbox though haha

And who's fault is that? How many kids grow up in homes where rather than a lawnmower in the garage there's a guy and his crew taking care of the lawn? Cars are more complicated, making trial and error mistakes expensive (I found that one out myself). Should explorer posts and VFD's start having PoliSci and American History classes? These kids are interested in it and there are people who want to share the knowledge with them. Seems like a win.

Entry tactics are far from the biggest concern when you start talking about the threat of these kids using their knowledge to do harm. I'd be much more concerned with average citizens practicing target selection and fire control. Oh thats right, thats part of responsible gun ownership. Unless you can remove every gun from this country you will never stop gun violence and as long as you have people gathering in an enclosed location there is the potential for another Columbine, Virginia Tech, Henderson Kentucy, West Nickle Mines, LIRR, etc.

So before they put on tactical gear, get a plastic gun, and storm into a

building, maybe step back and really think this is out.

Maybe even talking to some Police Officers, or Military people

who have been shot/injured, or have had to shoot somebody,

and explain this is no joke.

No intentions on insulting any of these young people who are explorers.

Just dont think its the BEST thing they should be learning right now.

Alot of adults get in car wrecks and can't help but start fires, but we still let people go inside burning buildings to put them out or use hydraulic tools to cut other adults out of wrecked cars.

As promised, the rest of the pictures from the competition, as taken by John Visone, the NERLEEA Director, with his permission. I just found out we placed 5th Overall out of the 17 teams that competed, a great position for a multi-jurisdictional team that has only been working together for a few months, and has never done a competition like this before.

The team deploying for an Active Shooter response

post-5878-1235525554.jpg

The team stacked along the Lenco Bearcat from Valley SRT

post-5878-1235525575.jpg

Beginning the bus assault

post-5878-1235525589.jpg

Entry team making the bus

post-5878-1235525602.jpg

Group photo of all 17 teams that competed from WA, CA, CT/NH

post-5878-1235525671.jpg

Danbury Explorer Captain Alex Cardella (Me, on the left) and Danbury Explorer Sergeant Nick Galer (Right) posing with a Federal Way Police Charger

post-5878-1235525688.jpg

Felony Stop

post-5878-1235525705.jpg

Myself, handcuffing the suspect in the Felony Stop

post-5878-1235525731.jpg

LT Fitz from CSP K and Explorer Neilson from East Lyme PD detaining a suspect in the Marijuana Field Raid

post-5878-1235525755.jpg

Taking fire from the front right, returning it with interest.

post-5878-1235525768.jpg

Sniper Team (Shooter: LT Fitz from CSP K, Spotter: Sgt. Nick Galer from DPD)

post-5878-1235525784.jpg

More pictures available on my Facebook page or at NERLEEAI

Edited by DOC22
Set Link Active

Great job it nice to todays youth wanting to learn the right thing to do