Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
emp305

Empress EMS Drill and Training Photos

99 posts in this topic

post-4451-1235359235.jpgpost-4451-1235358832.jpg

Trying out the Zumro, just a bit nicer than the blue tarps with PVC showers......lol

I know you have more and better pictures than these. Come on unload the labtop.. :lol:

post-4451-1235877258.jpgpost-4451-1235876967.jpgpost-4451-1235873979.jpg

Empress SOD Medics at a Drill in NYC. MA units were staged at the Javits center and then responded into Grand Central Terminal.

post-4451-1236388343.jpg

Training with the supplied air cart, escape bottles, and masks with the NBC shroud. The NBC shroud seems to make sense for us. It takes much less time when dressing in level B, than it might to tape the mask edges and secure the neck area. This type of set-up would be used primarily by personnel working in the decon tent, eliminated the need for cumbersome air paks and freeing them up for other uses.

again nice pics thanks for sharing !!! How many ambulances were involved in the drill?

again nice pics thanks for sharing !!! How many ambulances were involved in the drill?

The Yonkers / MTA drill used about 15 ambulances, our SMRT (MCC / HM Decon vehicle), and 3 Supervisors units. All the units where properly staffed, as was the SMRT, additional SOD members were used for Decon functions.

Just a few new pics from the recent MTA PD / MV Exercisepost-4451-1243148305.jpg

Personnel in the staging area prior to the exercise start time

May 16 2009 MV Exercise

post-4451-1243150045.jpg

SOD Medical Monitoring Team, Prior to doning any PPE all SOD members have a complete set of V/S taken, including Pulse, BP, Resp rate, O2 sat, weight, temp, and an EKG strip. The process is repeated after doffing the PPE.

A few pics from outside the 2nd Annual Greater Westchester EMS Conference

post-4451-1243154799.jpg

Edited by emp305

Outside the MCC during the May 16 Exercise

post-4451-1243155009.jpg

Edited by emp305

A typical training evolution, including deployment of an inflatable Zumro decon. shelter and the use Ska-Paks (Scott Escape Bottles) and a mobile air supply cart.

post-4451-1245814514.jpg

post-4451-1235248732.jpg

Not really training, but a good shot of the SMRT and the Zumro. From Fleet Day..

That's a slick looking decon unit...

post-4451-1248529807.jpgpost-4451-1248532541.jpg

SOD Medics becomming familiar with working in PPE

All training is good training

Real quick question, don't mean to sound like a idiot, but I never seen them before, what is that yellow equipment that they are wearing on their belts?

Is Empress a decent place to work? And what are the requirements to get on their SOD team?

post-4451-1248918507.jpg

Real quick question, don't mean to sound like a idiot, but I never seen them before, what is that yellow equipment that they are wearing on their belts?

I'm not sure which photo your referencing, but the only yellow item which is worn on a members belt is a Radiation dosimeter. (Mini-Radiac)

Is Empress a decent place to work? And what are the requirements to get on their SOD team?

It is a GREAT place to work...I sometimes get the urge to go back...even more so seeing some of these pics..(MINUS the ESU'ish uniforms of course! LOL!)

305 - when can I do a ride along...Robin pulled my 129 uniform pullover out of the attic yesterday....pants might not fit anymore, but the shirt does!

305- yes that is what I was talking, thanks for answering my question.

post-4451-1256266044.gifMore to come soon...

I'm working on a new batch of photos to be posted soon, thanks for looking please let us know what you think of the pics posted so far, and check back soon..

-Empress SOD

305 - when can I do a ride along...Robin pulled my 129 uniform pullover out of the attic yesterday....pants might not fit anymore, but the shirt does!

Ohhhh Please tell me when, I will pick up overtime.. Only if you wear the Cowboy hat too.. ;):D

Empress is a great place to work, especially if you are a new EMT or new Medic. The experience you will get is very valuable and you will see and do things in Yonkers that you would never see or do in a rural/suburban EMS agency.

Over the years, I have thought about going back to work there again, but there is always something going on that keeps me too busy to go back.

I have a question for anyone who works for Empress, are they still using the same old UHF radio system from years ago or have they changed to a trunked or digital radio system??

Are the crews still issued the alpha-numeric pagers along with their equipment? I know that pagers are kind of outdated, but I figured I would ask anyway. Are the Nextel phones still used to contact dispatch as a backup to the radios?