Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R1SmokeEater

Yonkers - Promotions in PD, Demotions stand in FD

10 posts in this topic

Yonkers PD promotes 29 members

By Rob Ryser

The Journal News • February 27, 2009

YONKERS - Twenty-nine city police officers were promotions or received detective designations at a ceremony today at the Grinton I. Will Library branch.

FULL STORY: http://www.lohud.com/article/20090227/NEWS02/902270404

What about our 11-Demotees, Mr. Mayor ??

Edited by Chris192
Topic split for separate discussion.

What about our 11-Demotees, Mr. Mayor ??

And the -50+ police officer vacant positions due to retirement or promotion.

Edited by TOYBUFF911

Well then put the fire number around 35. And at this point the 11 are actually 13 due to attrition.I think the point to be made is the 11 Lt.s had their positions taken away.The jobs are still there to be done yet they are not back.To me that is not the same as "vacant " positions that will eventually be filled.

Edited by gss131

BUT, Police officers need direct supervision, so wouldn't these be "essential" positions?

Well then put the fire number around 35. And at this point the 11 are actually 13 due to attrition.I think the point to be made is the 11 Lt.s had their positions taken away.The jobs are still there to be done yet they are not back.To me that is not the same as "vacant " positions that will eventually be filled.

Don't assume that vacant lines will be filled. Years ago my job had a similar crisis and a hiring freeze. The next year the budget office eliminated the open lines - reducing our authorized strength dramatically - so there were no positions to fill. It stayed that way for years!

BUT, Police officers need direct supervision, so wouldn't these be "essential" positions?

and firefighters don't?

Mr. Mayor has commented that he will in fact be hiring in the next budget. He has not stated exactly how many. This includes both fire and police.

Oh, the fire supervision is there.......ON OVERTIME! The fact is the demotions created more overtime as there are not enough Lt.s to cover.Just wait another month when vacation picks are at full capacity.

I would say that cops have more freedom when it comes to making decisions. Many of the choices that cops make, they make without supervisors. On the other hand, where I work there is a boss on every rig calling the shots.

As far as the promotions go, didn't the Yonkers PD stand up to the mayor and refused to open up their contracts for any givebacks? Didn't Yonkers fire open their contract up and agreed to some givebacks in order to save a few brothers from getting laid off?

So how is it that the PD is now promoting and that the brothers are still reduced to FFs? Makes no sense to me. Can anyone from Yonkers advise?

Not positive but I believe that they were replacing officers that retired.