Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tapout

EMTBravo & Google Privacy

13 posts in this topic

I honestly and naively thought we had a bit of privacy posting here on EMTBravo- at least among only verified members like me. Turns out if you Google any of our screen names and EMTBravo, you get to where I'm typing right now. Or to my member profile. You even get my latest posts to the forums. That means media can read this stuff, family of both good and bad guys, EDP's, etc.

In the interest of protecting the privacy of my LE family and myself as well, I think I'm going to become another lurker now (never posting but always reading).

Stay well and safe, all.

Tapout B)

Edited by x635
Topic Title Changed

I'm sorry you feel you have to retreat to the sidelines simply because all pages here are essentially in the public domain, visible and accessible to everyone.

There is nothing in your member profile that identifies who you are, or where you work. You can limit or remove additional personal information from your public profile, such as affiliation, past experience, etc.

Let me clear things up. You can only read what Google "caches". This is a public forum, where anyone can register for an account, read topics, etc.

NO PERSONAL INFORMATION OTHER THEN WHAT YOU POST is divulged by a Google search. In fact, that's how a lot of people find us.

Just to clarify: if I go to a topic when NOT logged-in, I only see the first post in the thread; it says I should login or register to see further posts. So they're safe from googlebots, right? If you post follow-ups, rather than starting a topic, google doesn't see those posts?

Just to clarify: if I go to a topic when NOT logged-in, I only see the first post in the thread; it says I should login or register to see further posts. So they're safe from googlebots, right? If you post follow-ups, rather than starting a topic, google doesn't see those posts?

A "Google" bot (web crawler) is in the "Members" group. It can only see what a member can see. The reason for logging in to see posts has nothing to do with privacy whatsoever.

A "Google" bot (web crawler) is in the "Members" group. It can only see what a member can see. The reason for logging in to see posts has nothing to do with privacy whatsoever.

That's a bit of an eye-opener. So you've made it a deliberate policy to allow google to see and index material that a human would need to log-in to see? Not complaining, just a bit surprised. How about archive.org?

That's a bit of an eye-opener. So you've made it a deliberate policy to allow google to see and index material that a human would need to log-in to see? Not complaining, just a bit surprised. How about archive.org?

What's an "eye-opener"?? Google can see the content in order to add it to their search results when people are searching for something that may attract people to this site. A lot of people find this site through Google search keywords. Those people then have to register to view the topics. This is to increase vested membership and try to grow our daily readship and get more people to post.

I'm sorry you feel you have to retreat to the sidelines simply because all pages here are essentially in the public domain, visible and accessible to everyone.

There is nothing in your member profile that identifies who you are, or where you work. You can limit or remove additional personal information from your public profile, such as affiliation, past experience, etc.

Hi, Jack. Anonymous, here. Wink... I feel this way based on a literal lifetime of fear of bad guys finding my law enforcement family members.

I will revise any member profile info I have put out there, but more importantly, I want anyone who puts their actual name in their signatures or member profiles to know that what I, as good guy, can see... as lurking and potentially stalking bad guy. Thanks for the input. I had no idea anyone would even post about this or give a rat's heiny. I just wanted the fact that it's accessible out there. Thanks, Seth, for helping me to let everyone on Bravo know they need to be a bit more careful and self-protective.

I just wanted the fact that it's accessible out there. Thanks, Seth, for helping me to let everyone on Bravo know they need to be a bit more careful and self-protective.

That goes with any information you put out on the internet. You're not forced on this site to put any public information that would make you identifiable in your public profile. It's you that puts the info in your profile, not us.

That goes with any information you put out on the internet. You're not forced on this site to put any public information that would make you identifiable in your public profile. It's you that puts the info in your profile, not us.

I agree 100%. I own up to anything I've put out there till now. But I will now only put info out there that I'd want good, BAD, or indifferent guy to know about me and/or my family. That's all.

If you or any other members need assistance on how to modify their profile page, just PM myself or any other staff member. We'll be glad to help.

Remember that any personal information or e-mail address submitted during registration is used only for confirming your registration details, password, and to provide members information and updates regarding the website. (and for sending new passwords should you forget your current one). This information is accessible only to the site administrator and select staff, and is strictly limited for use only as described above.

You haven't noticed the Google.com user that lurks down at the bottom of the emtbravo.net page?

Also, I would be surprised if local news outlets don't already have accounts here. There is no law segregating them from here.

Edited by Slayer61