Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markmets415

Rosenbauer Apparatus

12 posts in this topic

We recently started to work on specs for a new engine and a few of our committee members took a trip to look at a Rosenbauer pumper yersterday. I have been asked to see if anyone on the forum may have a Rosenbauer apparatus or is familiar with the product. We have visited the website http://www.rosenbaueramerica.com/apparatus/trucks/wildland (click on the video at the bottom of the page). If you may have something to share about them you can send myself or the Signman a PM.

Thanks,

Mark

We are spec-ing a rescue and Rosenbauer is one of two vendors we are dealing with. We would like to get a look and some feedback on their product also- so if I find anything out I'll let you know

Derby, CT Company No. 1 is getting a Rosenbaur in thenext few months.

We have 3 Engines and 1 Ladder and now we are buying Seagrave! I don't want to cast blame but... Two of the engines are twins, one is fine the other bounces so bad you get nauseated riding in it. The ladder had a host of issues. The main was the steering axle being oveloaded, cracked cross members, loose frame bolts & the tie rod ends rubbing on the tires. They installed a shorter tie rod and added counter weight to the rear of the truck. Just what a 78,000 lb truck needs is more weight added to it! They finally replaced the front axle and springs to meet the load on the axle with the truck being out of service for a few months (as I recall). All the trucks have Sparten chassis. The scale sheets for the engines show a weight balance of 50% front & rear. I'm no engineer but I would think the rear axle should carry more weight than the front, could be why the truck rides so bad.

We are spec'ing a Rosenbauer tanker. One of the guys came down with basically the exact same thing we'd be getting and we were impressed. The swivel dump in the rear that is featured will be very nice.

By most accounts, there are two Rosenbauers, the Central States Rosie or the General Safety Rosie. Both were independent builders before Rosenbauer bought them. Almost to a man, those that own General Rosie's are happy, and those with Central States got junk. We own a Central Mistakes Pre-Rosie and it is junk. We have had many issues and Rosenbauer after buying Central States laughed at our chief when he asked if they'd help us with some of the outstanding issues. Fine by us, we've moved on and found there are plenty of better builders that are smaller, but build better quality and stand behind their work.

Those who own the General Safety Rosenbauers tend to be big fans and repeat customers though. I think if you dig deep enough you'll find any big fleet FD's that buy Rosenbauer, demand Generals. It seems Rosenbauer bids the Central States where money is tighter and General when they want to compete with Peirce, Seagrave, Marion, etc.

The FD next to us failed to heed many warnings and ordered a Central States Rosie Commercial Cab pumper with foam and have had nothing but trouble for the past 8 months. They're convinced they have to live with a truck that may go into "limp mode" and will not go over 20 mph to a call! The workmanship is poor and the engineering is a joke! If you are thinking Rosenbauer at all, demand a General Safety Rosie!!

I've not seen or spoken to anyone specific, but if I was in the NY-CT area I'd look hard at Gowans Knight. Again, I have no experience with their apparatus over time, but the workmanship looks good and they seem to be very accessible.

By most accounts, there are two Rosenbauers, the Central States Rosie or the General Safety Rosie. Both were independent builders before Rosenbauer bought them. Almost to a man, those that own General Rosie's are happy, and those with Central States got junk. We own a Central Mistakes Pre-Rosie and it is junk. We have had many issues and Rosenbauer after buying Central States laughed at our chief when he asked if they'd help us with some of the outstanding issues. Fine by us, we've moved on and found there are plenty of better builders that are smaller, but build better quality and stand behind their work.

Those who own the General Safety Rosenbauers tend to be big fans and repeat customers though. I think if you dig deep enough you'll find any big fleet FD's that buy Rosenbauer, demand Generals. It seems Rosenbauer bids the Central States where money is tighter and General when they want to compete with Peirce, Seagrave, Marion, etc.

The FD next to us failed to heed many warnings and ordered a Central States Rosie Commercial Cab pumper with foam and have had nothing but trouble for the past 8 months. They're convinced they have to live with a truck that may go into "limp mode" and will not go over 20 mph to a call! The workmanship is poor and the engineering is a joke! If you are thinking Rosenbauer at all, demand a General Safety Rosie!!

I've not seen or spoken to anyone specific, but if I was in the NY-CT area I'd look hard at Gowans Knight. Again, I have no experience with their apparatus over time, but the workmanship looks good and they seem to be very accessible.

Gowans Knight makes a great product.....I can not think of a manufacturer that I would want to make my fire apparatus more than gowans knight, well maybe 4 guys, from what I read, see and hear they built a good prodoct........

A friend of mine is a career FF just south of Denver. They have a Central States Rosie and it is out of service more than it is in. If you are going other than Seagrave or Pierce, try anything with a Spartan cab. In Port Chester we have a Smeal Ladder with a Spartan cab and love it.

We currently have three Pierce apparatus, one Rescue 1 rescue and our tanker is a Smeal, all are excellent pieces and well built with excellent workmanship. We are just looking to see what else is out there with newer apparatus.

Thanks for all the feedback.

We have a rosenbauer NH30 pump which we love, although i wouldn't get the auto governer if i had the choice, i prefer the hand throttle.

post-1161-1236952910.jpg

I had the chance last summer to work with some California Office of Emergency Service (OES) Type 3 Engines Rosenbauer built on International chassis from San Diego area fire departments. There were new trucks on there first deployment, all the firefighters and officers talked highly of the units. After two weeks of use in the mountains on dirt roads protect homes and holding fire line, they had no brake downs. This is photo I took the first day these engines arrived at the fire, they were not so clean the next day. From the Basin Fire July 6 2008. 500gpm pump/500 gallon water/25 class A foam