Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBE

Out and about, the Putnam County DEATH MARCH!

22 posts in this topic

I drove up to Middletown to check out the Fire Expo, and after some skillful maneuvering of the Rock Box, dodging soccer Moms on Route 211, I strolled on up and did a little shooting. However, those rigs inside the building will be the subject of an out an about somewhere along the way. It was good to see some friends (HI JEEPER!!!!) and network a little.

Here's what I shot there.

Chief.jpg

Middletown Chief

Franklin.jpg

Now, I'm not really big on rigs from the 50's. I've been more fond of rigs from the years from like 1965 to present. But, this rig is sharp looking. Major respect to the Fire Cats.

Ward.jpg

On my way to lunch with an old friend, I spotted Middletown Engines 4 and 5. Did a U turn and off I went.

ME-4.jpg

ME-5.jpg

Today's festivities to come...

Last week, while on our Lazy Sunday excursion, Bronx Fire Radio and I discussed heading up to my old stomping grounds. I hadn't shot Put Lake and wanted to get a few rigs I hadn't shot on the east side. Fret Not Mahopac Falls and Put Valley, you're coming up. So after getting up, and meeting up, we headed up the Saw Mill, 684, and 84 at Ludicrous Speed. I had an 0900 appointment, but if anyone knows me, I kinda operate on Jimmy time. It's like Daylight Savings time, but you just add a half hour to my ETA. First stop Brewster Station 1. I hadn't shot 11-4-1 and 11-2-3, so that was my goal. Unfortunately 11-2-3 was OOS, so I was happy with 11-4-1.

11-4-1.jpg

After saying our thank you's and discussing Brewsters new firehouse, it was off to the North Brewster Deli for a little grub(Anyone want the Boars Head Card??), then we hit the Lime Green Jackpot!!!

23-6-1

23-6-1.jpg

23-4-1, Good Lord, is this thing big!!!

23-4-1-2.jpg

23-2-3 BFR was liking the LaFrance..

23-2-3.jpg

23-2-4 and 2-5 were out on hydrants, and we went to catch up to 2-5. Granted it is a different color and few years younger, but I see this rig and it reminds me of the old 17-2-3, and teary eyes at 40 miles an hour with Robbie Shannon on the backstep in 1992.

23-2-5.jpg

Still more up ahead..

Edited by JBE

I dont kno much about orange county fds, does middletown have any career staff?

While shooting 23-2-5, 23-3-1 showed up..

23-3-1.jpg

LCFD968 had filled me in on some training they were doing up in East Fishkill and we worked our way there. But, not before I stopped into Patterson to get 22-6-1 before it gets retired. 22-2-1 was an added bonus.

22-6-1.jpg

22-2-1.jpg

After going up to East Fishkill, and seeing absolutely nothing, we went over to LCFD station 2 and got told to look a little closer(Thanx, Craig!!!!), like in the back.

Ta Daaa!!!!

Now for some strange reason, Lake Carmel had this rig for almost 6 years before I left in 1998, and up until last summer, I had never gotten a picture of it.

Here's one with better lighting than the parade.

17-4-1-2.jpg

More coming..

Edited by JBE

Chiefs car..

17-1-1-3.jpg

My old rig, 17-4-4. I miss riding in that thing, because I stunk at driving it.

17-4-4-2.jpg

Yes, it's a bus. Sorry, I'm a born again city boy..

17-7-1-3.jpg

I'm starting to like this rig, it's an interesting set up..Although the old 17-2-2(1986 Ford) has a special place in my heart.

17-3-1-3.jpg

A few more coming...

Edited by JBE

Another nostalgia shot...Since I understand this is going to be replaced soon..

17-6-1-2.jpg

After some more thank yous, we headed over to Carmel to shoot 12-2-2. I had been griping about shooting this for a while. Finally got around to it.

Extra added bonus for the chiefs car.

12-2-2-3.jpg

Chief2.jpg

Took a crapshoot with Mahopac, and got the privately owned former 18-2-1.

18antique.jpg

With a little bit of luck, we ran into a friendly face at the firehouse, and got some shots of 18-6-1.

18-6-1.jpg

And with this, and a trip to Putnam 911, we bid Putnam a fond farewell. Lessons learned, set the alarm clock for 7 next time, look a little harder, it's no fun driving up there on an empty stomach. UNBUNCH!!!!!

Big thanx to the following people, Mr. and Mrs. FF274, LCFD968, the gang at Put Lake, EJS1810, Fitzjr11, Ex-Chief Drew in Mahopac, and Chief Earle from Carmel.

Enjoy!!!!

I dont kno much about orange county fds, does middletown have any career staff?

Middletown's drivers ("chauffeurs") are career. Officers and manpower are volunteer.

Engine 4 is about to be replaced. The new one was on display at the Expo. Twin to E-5, basically, but all red. The white 1957 Ward LaFrance pictured above is a recent acquisition into the Andy Leider collection. The ex-Franklin, NJ 1981 Hahn is co-owned by a couple of our members.

nice pics thanks for sharing!! Ever think of doing an out and about in Dutchess???

Next time you're in the area give a shout, New Fairfield has plenty of rigs for you to shoot.

I did Rombout and Glenham about a year and a half ago. I want to do East Fishkill and Pawling. However, I have a friend or two up in Dover, and I think one of them is one of your new probies and town supervisor. He was my little brothers best man and one of his closest friends. I could be persuaded to head up that way. I remember the old Cadillac ambulance you guys had back in the 80's when I was a Boy Scout going to Camp Siwanoy.

I did Rombout and Glenham about a year and a half ago. I want to do East Fishkill and Pawling. However, I have a friend or two up in Dover, and I think one of them is one of your new probies and town supervisor. He was my little brothers best man and one of his closest friends. I could be persuaded to head up that way. I remember the old Cadillac ambulance you guys had back in the 80's when I was a Boy Scout going to Camp Siwanoy.

this would be the caddy, Dover sold it to us.

post-16297-1237198067.jpg

Well if you make it up to Dover, please head alittle further North to Wassaic, we would love to have you, thanks for sharing.

Nice, i want that Mack tanker!

Nice pictures Jim maybe I will see you next time

this would be the caddy, Dover sold it to us.

post-16297-1237198067.jpg

Well if you make it up to Dover, please head alittle further North to Wassaic, we would love to have you, thanks for sharing.

that was only one of them we had a red and white one too

Great cant wait and like Mark said Wassaic just up the road. Maybe i can persuade some one to pull the 1927 seagrave out for you

Don't forget about us here in the Valley--LOL

... And the Falls- kill 2 birds with one stone...

But great shots...

Hey, Next time you might be swinging up to East Fishkill give one of us a shout, I'm sure we can wrangle up a driver to pull out some apparatus for ya, but be prepared and pack some snacks, you might be here a while!! HAHA

Due to circumstances beyond my control, the next few weekends are pretty much out for me. I will be planning one in the next few months. I will be in touch.