Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY EMS Including Rescue/Haz-Tac Ambulances (Photos)

12 posts in this topic

Once again, many special thanks to Joe Pinto for submitting these photos!!

(Reposted with permission)

FDNY*EMS Ambulance #575

2008 Ford F-450/Horton (Haz-Tac Edition)

post-11-1237489650.jpg

FDNY*EMS LSU

Fleet #696

2006 Ford/Reading

post-11-1237489791.jpg

FDNY*EMS MERV 2

2006 Thomas Bus/Medicmaster (ALF) Conversion

Fleet # 653

post-11-1237489945.jpg

FDNY*EMS

Fleet #655

Mobile Repiratory Treatment Unit (MRTU) 1

post-11-1237490086.jpg

FDNY*EMS Ambulance #559

2008 Ford F-450/Horton (Rescue Medic Edition)

post-11-1237490192.jpg

Photos By And © Of Joe Pinto, Reposted here with permission

What does the LSU do?

LSU stands Logistical Support Unit. The unit(s) respond to MCI to provide equipment i.e backboards etc. The members of the department that work these units also go to the hospital in the areas of the stations that they turn out of to retrieve the equipment that this there to be returned to the station or stations.

I love those rescue medic vehicles, would make a great support or utility.

I am not a fan of those Haz Tac and Rescue Medic busses. I am sure they serve their purpose, but I don't like being that separated from my partner, and the turning radius on those things must be insanely huge.

I am a fan of ambulances being ambulances. Have someone else bring all that extra stuff. I understand the thinking behind it, just not my bag.

I am not a fan of those Haz Tac and Rescue Medic busses. I am sure they serve their purpose, but I don't like being that separated from my partner, and the turning radius on those things must be insanely huge.

I am a fan of ambulances being ambulances. Have someone else bring all that extra stuff. I understand the thinking behind it, just not my bag.

I agree, they are probably not the best ambulances but would make a good Fire support vehicle...

The larger chassis actually has a pretty good turning radius. I've only driven one a few times, but it seems pretty close the regular buses on the 350 chassis.

Being blocked from your partner is a valid point. To address it there is speaker/mic in the back that is always on and even with the volume all the way down still clearly audible in front. From the back if you have to talk, its actually easier than through the opening of the standard type 1. From the front there's a push button to talk to the back. Downside is, no more badmouthing your partner when you're in back. They will hear you.

As far as wether this set-up was the best idea is a different issue.

No more arm rests either!

But really the extra space was needed. They never had the proper strorage for the equipment they carry before these new rigs came out. I agree with ny10570 about the turning radius. At first sight I thought these things didn't have a chance, but it isn't an issue once you make the adjustment.

JBJ

any chance of getting interior or cabenet shots or the rescue trucks...the next time someone is out and about

I can get some tomorrow night when I go into work...

Nice pics thanks for sharing