Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50-65

Another Car Hauler, Another Low Bridge

14 posts in this topic

HAHAHAHA thats great. I like the second photo, "maybe if I stand the car on end it will fit?"

His license should be taken away...I used to drive a car carrier for a living and he must have been going pretty fast for thr roof car to come completely off...I'd had to be the one to call the dispatcher.....

We had that happen in Stamford a car carrier hauling new Volvo's.

Not even close! Must have made a bang when he hit the bridge. Looks like a rail bridge, is it active?

Not even close! Must have made a bang when he hit the bridge. Looks like a rail bridge, is it active?

Yes, it's an active rail bridge. I'm not sure of ownership (either Norfolk Southern or Metro North) but the Metro North Port Jervis Line(operated by New Jersey Transit) runs on it. Harriman Station is to the south and Salisbury Mills to the north.

EPIC FAIL!! LMAO

so i guess reading doesnt apply in this case?? :unsure:

GPS perhaps.. Relying on the 3in screen instead of the big one in front of you... GPS wont mention to you that the bridge is too low... :o

This was Fleetcarrier, a non union transporter. Odds are it was a new driver. I asked a friend who has been doing this for 30 years. His take was it was a new driver who did not know his route, new to the area. The non union carriers hire and fire drivers constantly so there is no one who drives the same route for a time. The union shops use the same drivers for the same routes, they are thought to know their deliveries, how to get their and alternate ways around. When you get guys who either quit or get fired after or less than a year, well thye have no clue on the routes. Also he said that most of the regular drivers would not use GPS as they know where they are going.

Regardless if it's union/non union, new driver/seasoned driver, gps/no gps, how hard is it when you see a sign that says 10 foot clearance and you're driving a 13 foot truck that it's not going to fit?!?!?!

There are important concepts that you need to know when driving a truck. One of them is the height of what you're driving! These idiots should get there CDLs revoked for the level of stupidity involved.

TRUCK this just shows you the quality of the drivers they are getting. My friend says most of these guys last less than a year.

For the Facebook savvy people out there... my friend who lives within eye/ear-shot of the Mamaroneck Avenue RR Bridge just started a group to chronicle the semi-weekly truck-into-bridge incidents at that location, but he also encourages people to add stories and photos of other locations/incidents too!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=74969213640