Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mt. Kisco stores: Parades hurt business

10 posts in this topic

Ridiculous!

Mt. Kisco stores: Parades hurt business

By Sean Gorman • The Journal News • April 3, 2009

MOUNT KISCO - Not everybody loves a parade.

The Mount Kisco Chamber of Commerce recently sent a letter to village officials saying a lot of customers steer clear of many Main Street stores on parade days as roads are closed and the village is clogged with spectators.

FULL STORY: http://www.lohud.com/article/2009904030360

Its a valid complaint. Every restaurant I've worked at knew it was going to be dead during certain events. The smart ones found a way to capitalize on it. Besides, if those two days are the difference between success and failure you're issues are much greater.

Let's see.....when I have been to parades - there have generally been MORE people around, waiting for the parade to start, going in/out of shops......actually creating business.......after the parade, people who do not have family in the parade visit shops after the parade too.....

So there may be a few hours of quieter business while the parade is actually getting set up and being held.......but from my experience it is actually busier around those hours.

In one community I go to for Memorial Day, residents set up lawn sales, businesses have sidewalk sales - and guess what? People SHOP!

I did get a kick out of reading some of the comments too that people left....some people have no clue!

The complaints of these Mt. Kisco store owners are ridiculous. You know why? Because most of the items in their shops are expensive and not of the highest quality. Even the Asian grocer along the parade route charges literally double for produce as compared to the Asian grocer next to my office here in foofy high-priced Bronxville.

These merchants are whining about the fact that business and revenues are down. They found a scapegoat to blame-- the parades and those who provide them to the town. The reality is that they need to lower their prices to entice more shoppers the other 363 days of the year when parades are NOT marching through their town.

If there is one thing a Mount Kisco Parade is notorious for IMHO is whenever it occurs it shuts down the entire town and creates huge hassles for everyone trying to get around the area. With Main Street closed from 172 to the American Legion and 133 shut down, no parking in the entire town and some of the worst traffic imaginable the complaints of the shop owners is legitimate.

That being said Mt Kisco parades are always among my favorite of the year and I have had the pleasure of marching in the Firemans parade for the past three years.

So if you own a gas station and your along a parade route, and they shut the road down for 2 hours your business is not gonna suffer? Come on at least see both sides of the story. Im on the outside of a our parade route so if anything I get the traffic going to and away so it helps us out. But as for it being "Ridiculous" I guess a docking of your paycheck for 2-3 hours may be nothing.

I can undestand the merchants concerns given the times however a parad is once a year and is a part of what little of old town traditions that are left. I have a suggestion..do away with the judging. Who cares who's truck gets best pumper or 2nd bess dress uniform. I think it would speed up the route and bring things back to normal quicker.

Why don't the business have incentives for those attending the parades???? They'll still make money and everyone would be happy.

HEY HERE I GO THINKING AGAIN!!!!!