Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MJP399

Radio Ad For Volunteer FD And EMS

20 posts in this topic

Hey,

I was just listen to my old radio station when i lived upstate, WEQX 102.7 based out of Manchester, VT, and was shocked to hear during this commercial which called people to volunteer to the two emergency services, EMS and FD. It gave a few instances when vollies came to the aid of their neighbors, both firematically and medically. It gave first hand accounts from the the citizens and the responders, set with inspirational music in the background and tone in the voice, calling the neighborhoods of VT to come out and volunteer.

It went further to give a state wide toll free number for people to call to gain information on where to volunteer. I thought it was a great idea. I know that VT is a much smaller state and far fewer citizens, but if there were a Lower Hudson Valley Branch with an AD on a popular station it could be a helpful idea, to help boost membership drive.

Any opinions?

A similar ad runs on 107.7 WGNA FM with a theme of the recent ice storms. Some folks in Northern Dutchess have probably heard it because the signal fades just past Amenia. But I think something like that focused at the HV would be a good idea.

I heard one on a NYC station that was from Suffolk County in Long Island. It was an unusually long ad too. The big question is what would something like this cost and will it actually be effective?

I have heard the ad multiple times here in the Capitol Region - but does anyone know who is sponsoring these ads?

I heard one on a NYC station that was from Suffolk County in Long Island. It was an unusually long ad too. The big question is what would something like this cost and will it actually be effective?

Well nothing ventured nothing gained, that's for sure. What is to be considered effective, one new member or ten or a hundred. For many departments it may be well worth the money spent if in the end they get even one quality member. I say give it a shot.

Cogs

Probably got SAFER funds to run the ads, under the volunteer recruitment and retention portion of the Act.

I believe it is 10% of the total monies assigned to the Act can be used for this purpose.

I remember a few years ago Roosevelt(Dutchess) ran a commercial on local cable looking for volunteers. Not sure the cost or how succesful it was. Maybe some of the members from Roosevelt could give some info on that as well.

I have seen in on Channel 10 which for me is the ABC station out of Albany, it was sponsored by the Massachusetts Call/Volunteer Firefighters Association. I think it is a great ad and would love to see one sponsored by FASNY do something like that.

A Senator from Vermont, Bernie Sanders has started a new program in Vermont to attract new members for the volunteer fire and EMS departments here.

Here is the article: http://search.burlingtonfreepress.com/sp?a...amp;x=0&y=0

The volunteer ranks in Vermont, especially in the Burlington area are especially thin. Burlington has an all career fire department with 4-5 staffed engines and 2 ladders (One is a giant E-one/Aerochief Tower ladder quint that you has the most distinct Q I have ever heard) and a command officer 24/7. However, the communities of Shelburne and Winooksi are volunteer but are also huge in size but low in population so it is much harder for them to get many people. South Burlington is a combination department that runs a two man engine and an ALS bus 24/7 but is also assisted by volunteers.

I have heard the ad multiple times here in the Capitol Region - but does anyone know who is sponsoring these ads?

The answer to your question is: most likely nothing; Most radio and television stations provide free public service announcements (PSA) to public agencies or not-for-profit organizations. It can range from the announcer simply reading a scripted PSA or playing back a pre-produced one.

WPDH was running ads like this last summer It starts out like this I think what if you called and no one came.

Suffolk County, Im guessing the VFA has/had numerous radio and print ads over the past year or so advertising for volunteers. I have seen them on the sides of bus shelters and busses and also on LIRR platforms. I have also seen a semi professional ad on TV for the Brentwood LI FD.

Suffolk County, Im guessing the VFA has/had numerous radio and print ads over the past year or so advertising for volunteers. I have seen them on the sides of bus shelters and busses and also on LIRR platforms. I have also seen a semi professional ad on TV for the Brentwood LI FD.

There usted to be on on K Rock a lot and Opie and Anthony usted to do a live read in the morning about volunteering .Opie even has realtives who volunteer somewhere in NY

So would a county wide, or regional ad be more effective, Or even just a specific town?

I would think a regional add would be better, if for no other reason, radio stations are heard regionally.

So would a county wide, or regional ad be more effective, Or even just a specific town?

I believe the "Ad Council" has generic Public Service Announcement copy/pre-produced spots available for radio stations in their media kits which can be easily customized for local/regional used and may be obtained by either a phone call or on line.

This one I saw on YouTube.

This is one that one the guys from EFFD Sta 1 put together.

The answer to your question is: most likely nothing; Most radio and television stations provide free public service announcements (PSA) to public agencies or not-for-profit organizations. It can range from the announcer simply reading a scripted PSA or playing back a pre-produced one.

The cost of running these ads is far from nothing. I was treasurer of a VAC that produced and ran and ad with the help of Time-Warner Cable back earlier this decade. Radio would probably be more inviting for PSA's, but your cable company isn't going to be, except maybe on the local access channel. Honestly, the effectiveness of these commercials IMO is next to none but someone must think differently, because I know they can use SAFER funds to do them.

Honestly, the effectiveness of these commercials IMO is next to none but someone must think differently, because I know they can use SAFER funds to do them.

I agree as to the lack of effectiveness. The reason safer funds can be used is not because someone thinks its effective it is because the NVFC wanted a "piece of the action" for volunteers or they would not politically support the initial passage of SAFER. That was well documented by Chief Brennon in Fire Engineering.

The cost of running these ads is far from nothing. I was treasurer of a VAC that produced and ran and ad with the help of Time-Warner Cable back earlier this decade. Radio would probably be more inviting for PSA's, but your cable company isn't going to be, except maybe on the local access channel. Honestly, the effectiveness of these commercials IMO is next to none but someone must think differently, because I know they can use SAFER funds to do them.

I don't think you read my post correctly or perhaps you mis-interpeted what I posted. Public Service Announcements (PSA's) are done at no cost for not-for-profit organizations. Certainly you can buy time on the air and put on whatever you want to but PSA's are always done at no charge to the organization. Most volunteer fire departments probably don't realize this is available to them. Please understand that there is no legal obligation for radio/TV/Cable stations to offer them, but almost everyone of them do.