Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EMT-I

15 posts in this topic

I'm just finishing up my Massachusetts EMT-Intermediate program, and apparently there's direct reciprocity into NY. I was happy to learn that, but does anyone actually hire EMT-Intermediates in Westchester county??? Should I have just gone for my medic? :P

I just finished my Basic. Im a student at Springfield College and to be honest with you i probably would have just gone to medic. Thats what I am doing at least. There has to be someone that hires EMT-I's. I find it hard to believe that there wouldnt be. I have my NY EMT card there is charge for it I know that getting my basic in NY was $25 but I think EMT-I and Paramedic where $50. Good luck with everything

The only agency that I personally know of who uses EMT-I around this region is Mobile Life Support Services, but they are in the HVREMAC. I cannot speak for Westchester.

You can obviously still get hired anywhere but you'll be working at the basic level more then likely. Best advice I can give you is to get your medic. EMT-I in the area I work was a flash in the pan hot thing not to long ago but in our ALS driven systems where medics are plentiful it really didn't allow many to maintain proficiency or much need. And to be honest..the skills allowed are not anything that I find to be generally that critical to make major changes.

With the exception of intubation an pressure infusion.

The medic was/is just too difficult while I'm balancing a full pre-med course load at school. They hire Intermediates all over the place here... it's interesting that they're so widely used here and hardly at all in NY.

The only agency that I personally know of who uses EMT-I around this region is Mobile Life Support Services, but they are in the HVREMAC. I cannot speak for Westchester.

Or Shandaken... have fun with that commute LOL..

With the exception of intubation an pressure infusion.

The medic was/is just too difficult while I'm balancing a full pre-med course load at school. They hire Intermediates all over the place here... it's interesting that they're so widely used here and hardly at all in NY.

I'm not sure what the protocols where you concern or deal with. I'm not nitpicking with you but again...I'd rather have a Paramedic over me in an emergency then an I for the pure form of medication and skill admin ability. I'm not sure what you mean by the "exception of intubation an pressure infustion," but they are not exceptions to me. I don't need to get into the debate about the intubation studies..but simply tubing something is not always critical and normal saline isn't the magic wonder drug.

I was an "I" for a few years. Couldn't do much other than sticks under supervision of a medic. Only tubes done were in the OR during rotations. When I worked per-diem ems I was paid as a basic.

It's not that EMT-Is are not used widely in New York, in this particular area they aren't used. If you go up north there are tons of agencies certified at the EMT-I level. I can think of one in Sullivan County that is, and sometimes BLS units up north would even get an AEMT-I as their BLS intercept. Yeah they may not be able to do nearly as much as a Paramedic but sometimes it makes a difference. For instance you have a pt who is requiring medications... If it's a bad call at least once you get the medic intercept there is already an IV Established, takes one more step away and quicker patient care.

So it really depends where you are, and what your region allows. I'm in AEMT-I Class now and we learn how to do IO, Decompress, and other skills not allowed by the local REMACs.

Up here in the far Northeast corner EMT-I's are probably utilized more than any other license level. Due to the shortage of medics and the rural nature of the state overall, most smaller communities cannot afford medics for their call volume. So as a result our EMT-I's have a more skills they can practice. A few highlights: IV access, 12 lead EKG, intubation, EPI, Narcan, D50, aspirin, Nitro, and Albuterol. Basically they wanted EMT-I's to be able to handle 90% of the calls for service. Most of the drugs must be given with OLMC permission and having requested a medic intercept (don't need to verify they will intercept though).

I agree with ALS, I'd always want the medic if I could have them, but of course the system must be designed to fit the needs and the resources. We have two medics per shift plus a day medic 0700-1900 every day, and all our other personnel are EMT-I's.

As stated above MLSS does use EMT-I's. 90% of the time if not more they are with a Medic, as all of our ambulances are ALS with with the exception of a few that are contracted. On occasion with bangins or w.e. an EMT-I may be put with an EMT, and a medic goes into a flycar if available. I dont disagree with ALS at all, but again seeing that our I's are used as assistance to the medic, and generally not normally made into a BLS bus.

Forget I, just get your medic. Honestly, its a waste of time and money around here. The mechanical skills I introduces are just that, mechanical skills that you could probably teach a chimp. A solid EMT-B does the job just fine. The medic program is just more well rounded - mechanical skills, anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, cardiology, pediatrics, etc, etc, etc.

Edited by Goose

The last I heard, Empress EMS is the only ILS agency authorized in Westchester but it is not used nor do you make more that an EMT-B. Based on this, if you want to do advanced skills in Westchester County go and take the medic class.

Quite honestly, if your not interested in becoming a Medic just yet.. It can offer some chances to practice some basic ALS skills and get a little acquainted for them. I work full time in EMS, and I don't have time at the moment with other things in life to do Medic School. My EMT card was also going to expire... so I took a FREE class to go up a level and keep current with my card. Plus, I learned a lot of new stuff and I'll be a better EMT for it whether I'm just helping out a medic or working on my own even as a Basic.

Just because you feel it's a waste of time, doesn't mean to someone else it is.

(NYS will pay for your AEMT-I if you work or volunteer for an ALS Agency.)

Try looking at CT. In the greater Danbury area there are agency's that Hire EMT-I. Danbury hospital is one they handle 911 calls for Danbury. They are a good company with little turn over. Contact me if you have any further questions. You can go to the CT DOH website to see if they will accept your cert. They should if NY is. As far as taking your medic I know what you are saying. I am currently in an I class myself. This is what I am getting out of the class, good PT assessment skills and being able to understand things as an EMT on a more advanced level. You might not be able to do as much as the PARAGODS can but you will be able to deliver better PT care. Just because you can deliver meds doesn't mean your a provider. If you are a bad EMT you will be a really bad medic. Alot of pepole say EMT i is a waist of time, but I have seen some medic students recently who couldn't even function as a CFR. JK