Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Nationally Registered Firefighter I Exam

17 posts in this topic

I am trying to find out what is required of someone taking the Nationally Registered Firefighter I Exam, specifically the practical portion. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

The flyer for this date at Orange County has the pre-requisites. Each examinee will have to demostrate their skills performing several practical evolutions.

You can also find this info on the NYS OFPC website under National certifications.

I will get you a copy, so you have it for future reference.

Could either of you post it around the houses in town?

I would also appreciate any further info on this as well. To be honest I've never heard of a nationally registered FF I. It has always been my understanding that there is no such thing since each state sets it's own standards and use differing accrediting agencies.

Thanks

Cogs

From OFPC: it doesn't give the practial information, just the requirements

NATIONAL CERTIFICATION EXAMINATIONS

The New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control has been accredited by the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications. National certification is now available in the following disciplines: Firefighter I, Firefighter II, Fire Service Instructor I, and Fire Service Instructor II. Additional certification levels are anticipated.

Receiving this national certification means that a candidate has successfully completed a comprehensive examination process of both written and performance-based evaluations. This examination, while closely connected to, is completely independent of the training a fire service member receives.

Certification is an excellent means by which individuals may measure their knowledge, skills, and abilities against a national standard and those of their peers throughout the country. Certification provides for recognition, credibility, and documentation of the tremendous commitment one has made in training as a fire service professional.

Certification examinations are available at the Academy of Fire Science (see the schedule) and at regional examination centers. Regional examinations are conducted upon request of a county fire coordinator once a sufficient number of candidates exists. Announcements and advertisements for these regional exams are provided through the County Fire Coordinators' offices.

The Office of Fire Prevention and Control is excited about this venture and hopes that fire service members across the state take advantage of this valuable program. Questions regarding this program can be directed to your County Fire Coordinator or the Academy at (607) 535-7136.

Requirements for Certification:

• A candidate shall be a member of a duly organized fire department, fire district, or industrial fire brigade as specified by New York State law.
  • The requirements for various levels of certification shall be in accordance with the specific parts of the National Certification Procedures Section of the New York State Outreach Training Program Administrative Guide.

Firefighter I

Designed For:
All fire service personnel

Prerequisite:
Students must be physically capable of wearing SCBA and possess current medical clearance for SCBA use. Students not possessing this prerequisite will not be allowed to participate for their own safety. A completed
"Training Authorization Letter"
mailed with your application will meet this requirement.
(40KB TYPEABLE PDF form) (1 pg)

Required Fire Service Training:

• Any nationally recognized first aid course including CPR and AED training, and meeting requirements of NFPA 1001.
and any one
of the following combinations:
  • Firefighter I (1S) course,
or
  • Basic Firefighter (91),
  • Intermediate Firefighter (92), and
  • Hazardous Materials First Responder Operations (31)
or
  • Firefighting Essentials (02),
  • Initial Fire Attack (10),
  • Firefighter Safety and Survival (28),
  • Fire Behavior and Arson Awareness (03), and
  • Hazardous Materials First Responder Operations (31)

OK this is NSPQ (ProBoard) certification. There is also IFSAC and DOD certification. All this does is state that you have met the requirements as set forth by the accrediting agency for your state in this case NSPQ. While you can get reciprocity for your certifications in another NSPQ state, this only allows you to challenge that state's certifcation tests without retaking the classes. Your state certification will not be valid in any other states that are NSPQ until you successfully pass that state's certification test. For any states that use IFSAC or DOD as their accreiting agency your certification will be invalid and you will have to retake the entire courses. Unfortunately there is no universal standard of FF certifications that are accepted nationally.

Good luck and Stay Safe

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

The flyer for this date at Orange County has the pre-requisites. Each examinee will have to demostrate their skills performing several practical evolutions.

You can also find this info on the NYS OFPC website under National certifications.

I will get you a copy, so you have it for future reference.

I looked at the website and found nothing other then the training requirements. I'm looking for a breakdown of the actual practical stuff that needs to be done. The announcement I got from Dutchess doesn't say anything about it.

Edited by Remember585

^

Actually, IFSAC and NFPA test to the same standards, so their certifications can be viewed as somewhat interchangeable.

Could either of you post it around the houses in town?

I will be, Mike, just as soon as I have all the info....

The whole issue of state cerrtifications was a huge cluster when I went over to Iraq. The degree of difference between states in terms of what is required to complete even the FF I level of certs is staggering. It only gets worse from there. Luckily I am from CT which has some of the toughest standards, but let me assure you those standards are not the same everywhere. In the end we all had to retake FF I, FF II and HAZ MAT Awareness and Ops. After our first year group all other incoming FFs had to take the classes in country before being assigned to a base.

Cogs

I will get the info and give it to you Chief and Mike.

The practical evolutions are you basics, ropes/knots, hose line advancement, mask confidence, using a saw to make a cut, making your way out following a hose line, and I know there a few other stations to do. But will get all the info for you.

Edited by FDVA356

Trying a quick google search, there are some examples. One good one is http://www.mnfirecert.org/pdfs/FIREFIGHTER_ONE.pdf

When I took it at Montour, I did a ladder raise, hit the hydrant, PPE donning, hose stretch / pack. There were a couple others that I forget (maybe knots??).

Are there any details of the test / flyer? The Orange County site only has September 2008 training classes listed on it :(

Are they doing testing for FF2?

I believe NFPA 1001 spells out the tasks that have to be preformed.

585:

The practical exams are chosen at random as to which will be tested on the test day. I apologize but I cannot recall how many stations are tested. For some reason I recall 5 out of 7 possible stations, but please don't quote me on that. As someone stated for FF 1 it can be ground ladders, ventilation, ropes and knots, pulling and packing a preconnect, etc. As proctors we actually do not know which will be done until the morning of the skills and as someone also stated the skill testing sheets are the NFPA 1001 skill sheets that are used.

A couple of FF 2 testing stations that I remember are hydrant testing and extrication but they stand out because I've proctored them often.

I took it two weeks ago....

Our test consisted of: the ERG handbook, advancing a flat lay, ground ladder raise and rescuing a victim from that ladder, hydrant hook-up, ropes/knots, inspecting your SCBA, donning your gear and SCBA (remember to report your air pressure prior to putting your pack on) in a time limit.

Very simple guys.... don't sweat it.

Any ?'s PM.

There is also a vehicle extracation station and a foam station in FF2.

I know that Montour (sp) Falls is doing a FF1 this summer. Does anyone know of one any closer during the summer?