Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hess1075

Montour Falls Fire Academy

13 posts in this topic

Is the Recruit Firefighter 11 week academy class an option for Volunteers, or is it strictly a proby class for career firefighters. If it is open to volunteers, anyone have any knowledge or suggestions on this academy. Would it be worth taken it to possibly give myself an advantage on any future Lists. This thought has been scrambling around in my mind lately. I have a couple friends who went threw it in the past as volunteers, and there on the Job now. so, any info or suggestions positive or negative, whatever, would be helpfull.

Thanks

Randy H.

Edited by Hess1075

Follow the link provided by 67-1 and you will see that the academy teaches several different classes, I have been there over 20 times and I have enjoyed every visit.

Is the Recruit Firefighter 11 week academy class an option for Volunteers, or is it strictly a proby class for career firefighters. If it is open to volunteers, anyone have any knowledge or suggestions on this academy. Would it be worth taken it to possibly give myself an advantage on any future Lists. This thought has been scrambling around in my mind lately. I have a couple friends who went threw it in the past as volunteers, and there on the Job now. so, any info or suggestions positive or negative, whatever, would be helpfull.

Thanks

Randy H.

The Recruit class is an option for a volunteer. You do need to have a fire department to sponsor you. The cost is about $3000 when everything is paid for, but it is a very small amount for what you get out of it. The instructors that are teaching you are literally the ones that wrote the books, and developed the classes. You need to contact the academy and put your name on a waiting list for the next class which begins in July. Career departments have preference for the spots, but any additional spots can be filled by volunteers. If you are serious about it, I would contact the academy as soon as possible to get on the waiting list.

Follow the link provided by 67-1 and you will see that the academy teaches several different classes, I have been there over 20 times and I have enjoyed every visit.

Mark we have been there so many times, we could declare residence

Mark we have been there so many times, we could declare residence

Yes sir, don't miss that long drive, it's been a few years now since my last trip though.

WOuld it benefit you getting on the job somewhere though?

If you get hired you may be required to go through it all again, either the Westchester or Utica Acadamy.

Edited by x134

The instructors that are teaching you are literally the ones that wrote the books, and developed the classes.

I think thats an overstatement. I know a number of instructors from around the state that have travelled to Montour falls to as a group develop the books 7 classes and most of them do not teach at montour, at least 6 that I can think of teach (or tought) at Westchester.

Also, I have seen students from Montour not know standpipe ops. and hydrant ops...but they were very good at drafting.

Edited by Bnechis

Would it be worth taken it to possibly give myself an advantage on any future Lists.

It will not help you on MVFD, NRFD, WPFD or YFD's list (a total of 75% of the career jobs in Westchester). It may help you on the towns and village list. If you have your certificate they do not have to send you and it saves them $3,000 plus 11 weeks of salary/benefits. But they get the final say. I know many give residence or their own vollies 1st crack, so it may or may not help.

Good luck.

I think thats an overstatement. I know a number of instructors from around the state that have travelled to Montour falls to as a group develop the books 7 classes and most of them do not teach at montour, at least 6 that I can think of teach (or tought) at Westchester.

Also, I have seen students from Montour not know standpipe ops. and hydrant ops...but they were very good at drafting.

Sorry, I should have said a majority of the classes. Maybe not every single one, but for the most part the instructor standing in front of you had something to do with the development of the classes that are covered in the recruit program. I was just trying to help out the person that was asking about the academy, nothing more.

Thanks

Randy H.

Have you singed up for the Dutchess County Firefighters exam yet? Deadline is 5-27-09. Test is 6-27-09.

I would take every test possible.

Here is the link.

http://www.dutchessny.gov/CountyGov/Depart...nouncements.htm

Edited by x134

I believe the law in New York states that firefighters must have their training(229) within 18 months OF EMPLOYMENT not prior to employment so attending the academy for employment reasons willnot work.but taking the course will certinly make you a better all around firefighter.