Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ny10570

NYS training restrictions (out of state travel)

11 posts in this topic

After the LI volunteer gluttony was exposed by Newday NYS passed legislation restricting depts from sending members for training outside their home area or state unless said training was only available elsewhere. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of that bill?

After the LI volunteer gluttony was exposed by Newday NYS passed legislation restricting depts from sending members for training outside their home area or state unless said training was only available elsewhere. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of that bill?

Laws of NY 2006, Chapter 236 Section 72-g of the GML

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/fdrefo...tm#affecttravel

Fire district commissioners, other fire district officers, fire district employees, and the chief and assistant chief of a fire district can continue to attend conferences at fire district expense, but a recent amendment requires that conference travel must be for official business, using a “cost-effective and reasonable method of travel.” Conference travel still requires the prior approval of the board of fire commissioners.

The new laws also limit the mileage allowance that a fire district may provide to its officers and employees, paid employees, and all paid and volunteer officers of the fire district, for the use of a personal automobile in the performance of official duties. In determining the amount of the mileage allowance, the board of fire commissioners may consider the cost of gasoline, but in no event may the mileage allowance exceed the standard mileage allowance for business-related travel adopted or prescribed for federal income tax purposes.

Volunteer firefighters of a fire district may continue to attend training schools and courses of instruction, with the fire district paying most of the expenses incurred by attendance at the school or course. Attendance continues to require authorization by the chief of the department and, if the school or course is located or given outside the county in which the fire district is located, the authorization to attend continues to be subject to the prior approval of the board of fire commissioners.

Effective October 24, 2006, if a training school or course of instruction is located or given outside New York State, the authorization to attend must be granted by the board of fire commissioners if they find that the school or course is necessary and in the public interest, and is not available within a reasonable distance and time period in the State. If a volunteer travels to a training school or course of instruction using his or her personal automobile, the mileage allowance that the district may provide must not exceed the standard travel allowance for mileage adopted or prescribed for federal income tax purposes. In addition, the chief of the fire district must provide to the State Office of Fire Prevention and Control notice and proof of attendance at any out-of-state training school.

Laws of NY 2006, Chapter 236 Section 72-g of the GML

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/fdrefo...tm#affecttravel

Fire district commissioners, other fire district officers, fire district employees, and the chief and assistant chief of a fire district can continue to attend conferences at fire district expense, but a recent amendment requires that conference travel must be for official business, using a “cost-effective and reasonable method of travel.” Conference travel still requires the prior approval of the board of fire commissioners.

The new laws also limit the mileage allowance that a fire district may provide to its officers and employees, paid employees, and all paid and volunteer officers of the fire district, for the use of a personal automobile in the performance of official duties. In determining the amount of the mileage allowance, the board of fire commissioners may consider the cost of gasoline, but in no event may the mileage allowance exceed the standard mileage allowance for business-related travel adopted or prescribed for federal income tax purposes.

Volunteer firefighters of a fire district may continue to attend training schools and courses of instruction, with the fire district paying most of the expenses incurred by attendance at the school or course. Attendance continues to require authorization by the chief of the department and, if the school or course is located or given outside the county in which the fire district is located, the authorization to attend continues to be subject to the prior approval of the board of fire commissioners.

Effective October 24, 2006, if a training school or course of instruction is located or given outside New York State, the authorization to attend must be granted by the board of fire commissioners if they find that the school or course is necessary and in the public interest, and is not available within a reasonable distance and time period in the State. If a volunteer travels to a training school or course of instruction using his or her personal automobile, the mileage allowance that the district may provide must not exceed the standard travel allowance for mileage adopted or prescribed for federal income tax purposes. In addition, the chief of the fire district must provide to the State Office of Fire Prevention and Control notice and proof of attendance at any out-of-state training school.

So unless they hire their spouses as employees of the district, they can no longer pay for the family jaunts to the islands for winter "conferences"?

Unfortunately, how would one get caught violating this policy? What are the penalties?

In other words, nothing has changed. Just notify OFPC after the fact or it will come out in a State audit or Newsday article and the District will be discredited. You do not request permission from OFPC to go out of state. Home rule. Besides there are good reasons for going out of state including FDIC, Firehouse Expo, Springfield, Mass. and more.

In other words, nothing has changed. Just notify OFPC after the fact or it will come out in a State audit or Newsday article and the Disrict will be discredited. You do not request permission from OFPC to go out of state. Home rule. Besides there are good reasons for going out of state including FDIC, Firehouse Expo, Springfield, Mass. and more.

Could a taxpayer F.O.I.L a districts records and then sue the board of commissoners for misuse of public funds? Could a DA, looking for PR go after them? Both are unlikely, but I wonder if it could happen?

In other words, nothing has changed. Just notify OFPC after the fact or it will come out in a State audit or Newsday article and the District will be discredited. You do not request permission from OFPC to go out of state. Home rule. Besides there are good reasons for going out of state including FDIC, Firehouse Expo, Springfield, Mass. and more.

It will come out in an audit anyway. I don't think this has anything to do with FDIC or Firehouse EXPO but rather the Congressional-like junkets to the Caribbean for officers and significant others at the taxpayers expense.

You should be able to FOIL a districts financial records. They are public records for use of public funds. I think the taxpayers have a right to review them and provide feedback to the district/department.

I was asking about the out of state restriction just the other day. I was reading through firehouse magazine and saw all of the hands-on training and lectures and felt it would be a good opportunity. Because I am a member of a fire district does that mean I cannot attend at the districts expense? How do I show that the course is not offered somewhere closer? What if I was unable to attend the closer course and this is the next available? I can play the “what if” game on this all day… The whole thing is very gray to me...

JBJ

Thanks Capt, thats waht I was looking for. Much appreciated.

I was asking about the out of state restriction just the other day. I was reading through firehouse magazine and saw all of the hands-on training and lectures and felt it would be a good opportunity. Because I am a member of a fire district does that mean I cannot attend at the districts expense? How do I show that the course is not offered somewhere closer? What if I was unable to attend the closer course and this is the next available? I can play the “what if” game on this all day… The whole thing is very gray to me...

JBJ

Basically you need to ask your dept. officer(s) what the district policies are. As a FF you should not have to worry about it, the commissioners (and chiefs) need to set policy as to how the district will comply with the law.

It will come out in an audit anyway. I don't think this has anything to do with FDIC or Firehouse EXPO but rather the Congressional-like junkets to the Caribbean for officers and significant others at the taxpayers expense.

You should be able to FOIL a districts financial records. They are public records for use of public funds. I think the taxpayers have a right to review them and provide feedback to the district/department.

Assuming of course that a proper audit is undertaken.

What about a fire company within a fire district. Can you FOIL thier financial records if they recieve donations from the public?