Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Burning Truck Rolls Down Interstate 81 in PA: Video

8 posts in this topic

It is also not yet clear why the truck started rolling down the road. It had been parked, but several minutes after the fire had been raging, the truck started to move. It picked up speed and veered off the road, crashing into a swale.

It seems that the truck's brakes may have been melted in the fire.

VIDEO: http://www.wgal.com/video/19693775/index.html

Yet another thing to be concious of, although I've never heard of this happening before....any of our more experienced members seen something like this??

I have once. It was on the exit ramp of a highway and guy jumped out quick though he set the parking break.

Many times, thats why we always block the wheels for fire, mva, anything,but as you can see looks like the F.D. didn't show up yet!

If my memory serves me this happened in Ardsely on the thruway maybe 1988 or 89 with a box truck identical to the one in the video. It rolled into traffic that was stopped and ended up hitting an 18 wheeler.

We had a vehicle fire yrs. ago and it began to roll prior to getting the wheels chocked but fortunately we're able to stop it in time. Chock Early! Especially on Hills!

Edited by FirNaTine

Another case for roll and pump capabilities! LOL!

It can happen. The air lines probably burned away but it is surprising the rear tires didn't lock up due to lack of air.

My guess is that the brakes were never set. The article quoted mentioned that maybe the brakes melted, but the fire was clearly in the cab area and nowhere near the brakes.

Also, if the air lines burned through, the loss of air pressure would cause the brakes to come on.

However, it is possible that the valve behind the dash could have melted in such a way as to allow air to pressurize the brake system and allow the brakes to release. I have had bad air valves on trucks before that allow that to happen.