Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Day After Photos from an OMD All-Hands-Working

7 posts in this topic

(Many thanks to FDNY Battalion 2 Chief who had this fire, and shared these images to show the many challenges this job presented)

Had an all hands on Grove St and Bleecker. 11:00 pm Reports of people trapped.

Fire was 3rd floor rear of 5 story building. Lad 5 and Eng 24 got in first. All other companies couldn't get into block because of narrow streets and other obstacles. Fire was in collyer's mansion type apt. caused by overturned candle. Person trapped was in apt above with party wall type fire escape. She had heavy smoke coming up from below. Lad 9 took her into adjoining apt. A few anxious moments.

post-1020-1244726060.jpg

The roof man said he couldn't see the roof from the aerial due to heavy smoke. Look at all the obstacles.

post-1020-1244726206.jpg

There is a steep slope to the roof.

post-1020-1244726261.jpg

post-1020-1244726403.jpg

The rear of the roof had no parapet. The trees were over 60 feet tall

post-1020-1244726471.jpg

Looking down from the roof at the rear party wall type fire escape.

post-1020-1244726533.jpg

Small type landing. Fire was in and make a quick right but lots of debris blocked the way.

post-1020-1244726585.jpg

post-1020-1244726360.jpg

Thank you for sharing. Finally, some good content after a long dry spell!

Was 3 TRUCK ASSINED TO THE BOX as a F.a.s.t. or 2nd alarm? LT O'connor is a buddy of mine.

Edited by x134

Many buildings do not have parapit walls,when you get to the roof via,ladders,fire escapes or interior stairs use caution when walking around up there, i know 2 buildings in my 1st due area that when you exit the bulkhead door you can take about 5 steps toward the front of the structure and bang-down you go! Basic rule- can't see you crawl! Be safe!

Was 3 TRUCK ASSINED TO THE BOX as a F.a.s.t. or 2nd alarm? LT O'connor is a buddy of mine.

I will contact Batt. 2 to see if I can get you information regarding assignments. Stay safe.

Edited by efdcapt115

(In response to my inquiry to Batt. 2 to answer your questions, I received the following; once again thank you Chief Kearon FDNY Battalion 2)

Alarm came in around 2300 hours. Engine 24 arrived first along with Ladder 5. Smoke only was showing as fire was in apartment facing the rear of building.Engine 24 took a hydrant past the fire building freeing up the fire building to Ladder 5. Squad 18 took a hydrant at the corner of Grove St and Bedford St. Battalion 2 parked on Bedford St and I walked up Grove street to the fire building. The second due Ladder Company, Ladder 9, is a tower ladder and could not make the turn onto Grove Street from Bedford St so they parked on the corner and the members walked up the block to the fire building. I received information from the dispatcher that someone was trapped in Apartment 4C. I relayed that info to Ladder 9, even though they most likely heard the same info while responding.

From the front of the building I only saw smoke rising at the roof level. Ladder 5 had their aerial to the roof. There was a person at a front window on the second floor but they weren't in distress. Ladder 9 put a portable ladder to that person but really there was no need.

Ladder 9 was responsible for the floor above and removed a young woman from her floor above apartment out onto the party wall type fire escape. A party wall means there are no steps that lead up to the next floor or down to the lower floors. They only join up to the same floor apartment next door. The escape is only horizontally.

The lady told me she knew she shouldn't go down the interior stairs due to the heat and smoke but there was a lot of smoke coming up from below on the outside of the apartment at the rear.Only when a firefighter appeared did she go out onto the fire escape.

The fire was in a collyer's mansion type apartment. These people never throw anything out so papers, mail, books, clothing etc. pile up. When the candle fell over she threw something on top of the fire but got distracted by her cat as the fire grew larger.

Engine 24, with the assistance of Squad 18, extinguished the fire. I was glad to hear that the fire was knocked down in short time and that the trapped person was removed from the apartment above.

The fast truck was Ladder 20. I called for an additional engine and truck when I heard about the trapped person and saw the heavy smoke. Ladder 12 and Engine 3 were then special called. They later relieved Engine 24 and Ladder 5. Rescue 1 was used to search the floors above. Squad 1 from Brooklyn came as the replacement Squad for Squad 18 but wasn't used. All in all, the fire lasted about 45 minutes. Ladder 8 was special called to do salvage, staple plastic to windows etc.. but the building owners hired a fire salvage company that showed up while we were finishing operations. This salvage company subscribes to Breaking News Network and responds to fire scenes in hopes of getting the board up job. In this case they were hired on the spot by the building super and the fire department didn't have to put up plastic over windows etc. There were a few minor injuries to firefighters.

Later that night we had a call for a person in the Hudson River but it turned out to be a false alarm.

~Ed Kearon, Batt 2