Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Has Anyone Taken Metro North To Yankee Stadium Yet?

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone taken Metro North to the new Yankee Stadium yet? Just wondering what the experience was like, since it'll be a while before I get to ride MNRR for fun again.....

I took it down this past Saturday for Mets-Yankees. I went with my Father in Law & another frined . My Father in Law is a retired Metro North employee so we rode down on his pass. The train rusn in between trains to Grand Central so at every stop they had to announce that it was the Yankee Stadium Express. A lot of people got on and right back off when they heard that (as iff all the people in T-Shirts & Jerseys wern't a clue).

The train follows the normal Harlem line till it gets to the Mott Haven yard then it is shunted onto a spur that ends at the Stadium. I assume the Hudson line follows a similar route.

When we got to the stadium we found out that you had to show your ticket to leave the station. My FIL got through on his pass again but they made me and my friend buy an "exit ticket" for $2.00 ( I asked the ticket agent how much was a ticket to get off the ride). The cops there told us that everyone has to have a ticket (cops with the MTA pass & firefighters riding on the badge included). I guess thay have to pay for the new station somehow.

Total ride from Southeast Station (Brewster North ) to the Stadium was about 1.5hrs. They have 4 trains before & after each game with designated departure times based on if it is a 1, 4, or 7pm game. The schedule does say they will delay the departure if the games runs long.

Here is the lijnk fo rthe Harlem Line Schedule. http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/sche...kees_harlem.pdf

I too took the train in to the game Saturday. Took it in from Darien.

Went smoothly, wasn't too crowded coming down (I took the last local train north of Stamford).

New station at yankee stadium is pretty nice, I was laughing that they had numerous automated announcements that you cannot bring open containers outside of the station and they must be discarded before you left.

It's about a 5-10 min walk (depending on pedestrian traffic) to the stadium -- cops keep the flow of people controlled pretty well.

Coming back, train was waiting right at the station - pretty packed solid, standing room only.

Only downside to the train... is you're forced to stay the entire game since the trains run along with the game progress. They didn't really tell you either what would happen if there were a rain delay or cancellation, I wonder if they'd have us waiting for potential hours if they were to delay the game? No idea.

Overall though, good experience. Much better than fighting parking and traffic and the subway!

Tonight I took the train home from the new station. i would have taken the train to the new station also but i was meeting a friend in the city before hand. It took about 5-10 minutes to get from the stadium to the new station as said before. The only problem that I had was there were limited seats available on the train north and there were between 20-40 people standing in the aisles because the train was full and i left the game with 1 out in the 9th to try and beat the rush of people. overall it was a very pleasant experience being able to enjoy almost an entire game and then being able to walk to a train and no have to deal with all the traffic leaving the stadium. I would give it an A+

Only downside to the train... is you're forced to stay the entire game since the trains run along with the game progress. They didn't really tell you either what would happen if there were a rain delay or cancellation, I wonder if they'd have us waiting for potential hours if they were to delay the game? No idea.

In the future, should you want to leave before the game ends you can take a local Hudson Line train to Harlem-125th and then transfer to a New Haven Line Train to your destination. If you bought your round trip already there may be a small step up charge, but I'm not positive. I'll try to find out later at work from one of the ticket agents.

In the event of a rain delay or cancellation all the "game train" schedules are adjusted accordingly. If you don't want to wait out a rain delay the game trains will not be running to get you home but once again, take the short ride to Harlem - 125th and transfer to a New Haven train.

The train rusn in between trains to Grand Central so at every stop they had to announce that it was the Yankee Stadium Express. A lot of people got on and right back off when they heard that (as iff all the people in T-Shirts & Jerseys wern't a clue).

Every time I'm on a platform when a train comes through this happens. The other clue is when the display on the train says "Grand Central", it is not the game train.

Coming from New Haven I still think getting off at 125th street, hoping the sub up to 161st Street, dropping you off right at the stadium is better and quicker than taking the Metro-North train to the 153rd St. Plus the train to 153rd St doesn't run all the time and when they are it is limited runs.

A little confused, so any help is appreciated. Attending a WEEKDAY - DAYGAME with the family and could board in either Harrison or White Plains. Looking at the attached schedules nothing addresses WEEKDAY games ?? Thanks

A little confused, so any help is appreciated. Attending a WEEKDAY - DAYGAME with the family and could board in either Harrison or White Plains. Looking at the attached schedules nothing addresses WEEKDAY games ?? Thanks

The game trains only run off peak hours. PERIOD! There is no special service to the stadium on the NH or Harlem lines (Harrison or WP) for week day games. Different options include transfer @ 125th St to the Hudson line, get off @ Melrose on the Harlem Line and walk to the stadium or possibly take a subway from Fordham although I'm not familiar with the subway runs.

The only reason you will see weekday games address on the Hudson Line schedule is because the trains run past there anyway so there is just an extra stop added in on game days. During peak hours it is next to impossible to coordinate the NH and Harlem trains through the Mott Haven Interlock loop onto the Hudson Line with out disrupting the other trains.

I didn't (Mets Fan - No reason to go!) But my son-in-law just took the kids down from Poughkeepsie for a Saturday game and he said it was fantastic. Easy walk from station to Stadium. To get a jump at end of game they started walking down to the Exit in the 9th inning and watched on the monitors on the way, so when it was over he was quick to get to the station and jumpped right on a train heading north. He said it was great!