Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
38ff

I Am Responding.com SOP needed

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a good SOP for using the I Am Responding.com system? My dept is going to evaluate it for possible use, but I need to get an SOP ready for the 2 month evaluation? I have talked to several people who have used it, but none have written SOP's for it. Any comments on the system in general? Good, bad, or ugly?

Thanks in advance.

Shoot a pm to snkbtn here - he will be back Wednesday...he is all about IMR

I saw those threads, talk to the IAR.com people at the Chiefs show in Mass, all thats holding us up from testing it out is I need to write an SOP.. If someone has one already done that they wouldnt mind me using and molding to our needs, that would be great. I hear great things about the system from everyone.

We use this system but do not have an SOP. What are you trying to accomplish with the SOP? Mandatory use? Generally IAR is used in volunteer or combination FD's (like mine) so getting responders to "buy in" is key. It shouldn't be hard for most FFer's to see the value in knowing who or how many are responding. The only thing we had to be careful of was to warn personnel not to use the system while driving as per city policy employees are not to text or use cellphones while operating vehicles "on duty". Most of us still do it, but any training or policy cannot require you violate safe practices.

Im just looking for something that has an "overview" of what the system does, how it works, and what the member needs to do, and how the info should be "read and interpreted" in the station. I know it sounds crazy, but I need to have this SOP done before the system is implimented. My members and line/chief officers who have been given a "sneak peek" at it think it will help solve some issues we have had in the past, as do I.. I know this whole thing is a "cart before the horse" but thats just how it is for us right now. I have written some of it up, and am looking to see what others have done/written to add to it. It's not a huge deal, but if I dont have to reinvent the wheel, thats a little less work for me.

Edited by 38ff

My volunteer department uses it primarily for posting on duty crews. We started rostering an engine during the day and the members can go online and look to see if there is room to sign up or who the crew of the day will be. I personally use it to schedule when I am on the ambulance, it has a setting where it sends you a text message reminder an hour before your shift. You can also send out a mass text message from the system. My department uses it to notify when apparatus will be out of service, important weather announcements, if meetings or events are rescheduled or canceled, or when one of the district chiefs will be out of service. Not all the members have opted to fill out the paperwork to be put into the system which can kind of makes complete mass communication ineffective, but there are enough people on it that its uses have been continually expanding. When responding to a call not everyone will call the number and push the appropriate button as to if they are going to the station or scene, this makes the response part of the system not very effective for our department. Certain people have access to controls, fire officers and rescue lieutenants have access to put members on duty and to send out messages when they are looking for help on engine or ambulance. Hope this helps you out.