Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

On Censorship

10 posts in this topic

Today I was accused of censoring members on this site. I've previously expressed my belief that objectivity is important for the staff and I always try to promote that - here and behind the scenes with other staff members.

The focal point of the issue today is the below described forum rules.

Personal And Departmental Attacks

Attacks, Bashing, Name Calling Or Any Type Of Negative Comments Or Activity Towards Any Person Or Department Will Not Be Tolerated

No flaming of other members to incite or perpetuate a conflict or argument. ANY personal attacks or name calling will get you banned.

If you don't like an agency or person, this WILL NOT be the board to take up those issues. Period.

Member Behavior

There are going to be topics and discussions that will have heated debates. Please think before you post and re-read what you type before you post it. Keep your comments limited to the debate at hand and not make this a personal issue between you and another reader. There is tremendous diversity in age, race, gender, education, location and more here and there will be a lot of varying opinions on different subjects. We're all human beings and we we're all drawn to this site because we have a common bond

Members should interact respectively,pleasantly, and constructively with one another, and if they cannot do so, they should not post on this board. We ask that if anybody tries and incite you, that you ignore it until it can be deleted or dealt with.

If you have a gripe, try to make it constructive and objective.

We may also impose limits on certain features of the forums or restrict access to part or all of the forums without notice or penalty if we believe you are in breach of the guidelines as set forth.

In a passionate discussion, one member could not seem to post without specifically bashing certain members who disagreed with him in violation of the foregoing policy. As a result, the statements in violation were redacted, leaving the members remaining comments (the non-inflammatory ones) intact. This is not censorship, this is adherence to policy.

Another site policy prohibits the tired old paid vs. volunteer arguments. At least one recent thread brings this back to the forefront. We don't all have to hold hands and sing Kumbya but we should be able to agree to disagree and to respect each ohter's viewpoints without resorting to mud slinging.

None of the staff on this site wants to edit or delete any posts but without the forum rules and moderation there would be few, if any, real discussions on substantive topics.

Asking the members to abide by a few simple rules really shouldn't be that big a deal. Let's try to remember that the next time someone cries censorship.

We've been down this road before and I suspect things have been much better since the last time the subject came up.

Today I was accused of censoring members on this site. I've previously expressed my belief that objectivity is important for the staff and I always try to promote that - here and behind the scenes with other staff members.

The focal point of the issue today is the below described forum rules.

In a passionate discussion, one member could not seem to post without specifically bashing certain members who disagreed with him in violation of the foregoing policy. As a result, the statements in violation were redacted, leaving the members remaining comments (the non-inflammatory ones) intact. This is not censorship, this is adherence to policy.

None of the staff on this site wants to edit or delete any posts but without the forum rules and moderation there would be few, if any, real discussions on substantive topics.

Asking the members to abide by a few simple rules really shouldn't be that big a deal. Let's try to remember that the next time someone cries censorship.

So, in a nutshell, you can accuse me of many things but please don't accuse me of censorship.

What CAN we accuse you of Chris?? :rolleyes:

The shame is, sometimes when you "redact" the statements of certain members, you are actually saving them from themselves but I guess it is necessary sometimes....

Have you noticed though that a lot of people on here seem to be getting the whole qtip thing lately? That's good.

Repetition breeds Retention....

BTW, I'm typing this as I crawl down the longest, smokiest hallway in the world, in my Carharts, with a stogie in my mouth no less....

BTW, I'm typing this as I crawl down the longest, smokiest hallway in the world, in my Carharts, with a stogie in my mouth no less....

**groan**

:rolleyes:

Well said but unfortunately there will always be someone to stir the pot. Keep up the good work!

What CAN we accuse you of Chris?? :rolleyes:

Have you noticed though that a lot of people on here seem to be getting the whole qtip thing lately? That's good

QTIP?? I think I missed that discussion!

To clarify, I took the administrative decision to ban one NEW member who was causing a lot of problems, and also deleted his posts due to the content in them.

We will not tolerate members who purposely seek to incite conflict between members. We also won't tolerate disrespect for other forum members and the forum rules, especially a new member who comes out of nowhere and creates trouble. This creates a hostile posting enviroment, and tension between members, and that's a problem that plagues forums across the internet, and we don't want it to get out of control here.

This IS NOT censorship, it is a matter of member behavior. If you can't follow the rules or be respectful towards other members, especially after you've been warned several times, it's not our fault. You are responsible for knowing the rules and the content of your posts. Your actions have consquences, whether they be good or bad, and whether they be on the internet or on the street- or both.

Also to note, WE WILL NOT TOLERATE "taunting" of the staff, or disrespect shown towards the staff. They work hard, for free, to keep this forum open and running smooth for all the members that appreciate it and use it properly. If it wasn't for them, this forum wouldn't be here. Any such comments will be deleted, as they also often breed tension and spread false and inaccurate information. Any questions regarding the operation of this forum should be addressed via the PM or email system.

Short and sweet, if you're a troublemaker, you don't belong here. All posts and interactions should be positive, constructive, and respectful.

Chris, you work hard to keep the moderation of this forum in check, and I truly appreciate it. Members, you don't see how he stands up for a lot of you, and is the "voice of reason" in many situations. We have an awesome staff, and each one of them plays an important role in keeping the moderation (NOT censorship) as limited as possible.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY, I HOPE YOUR WAIST STRAP IS SECURED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOLOLOL! :lol:

QUOTE(JFLYNN @ Jun 29 2009, 08:11 PM)

1. I hope your Borks are down.

2. It's about time you got that shiny white helmet dirty.

3. There's no way you could have a stogie in your mouth with a cheater on.

Careful JFLYNN, you get lip cancer smoking those things. :)

People need to follow the rules, a moderators work is thankless and difficult. Being a moderator on another site I know what problems can arise and I know that pleasing people in these instances is nearly impossible. If someone is banned oh well their loss not the sites. Plus I think it is important to remember the fact that you can't say anything you want if it is inflammatory and hurts peoples feelings.

I think the Mods here need a pat on the back for the great job they do. They do it well and they are very fair.