Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TAPSJ

The Historic John J. Harvey Fireboat

36 posts in this topic

The Historic Fireboat will be in Poughkeepsie Pier at Waryas Park, doing boat rides. I know I will be riding the waves on it. Will be thier today and tommorrow.

Thomas

I went out on it at 1400 today with my family. very cool and I highly recomend going. I have a ton of pics, but no cable to read them here at work.

I was able to go out on it a couple years ago when it was in Albany......we had a 'private' cruise up and down the river.......also a tour of the boat....it was pretty cool!

More information on http://www.fireboat.org/

Check upcoming events on the home page for details.

I went there today also, and got to go for the 2nd cruise. If you ask nicely, the will take you below decks and you can see the 5 engines and the 4 each 4000GPM pumps.. A litttle hot and cramped down there, but I guess most engine rooms on ships are.

They have a one way trip from Dutchess Co to NYC when they leave. They said to get to the dock at 9AM Sunday, and they are leaving at 10AM. They get to NYC atbout 4PM, and you can take the train back.

post-17848-1246667647.jpg

post-17848-1246667659.jpg

post-17848-1246667669.jpg

post-17848-1246667677.jpg

Edited by 38ff

LOL...in your first pic I can spy my lovely wife, my shoulder, a Mini-Porkchop, and a Support Fairview Firefighters shirt...........my son was the little guy in the turnout gear.

What time did you get there to get the 2:00 tickets? I got there at 1:00, and they were all gone.. I did score tickets for the 2nd cruise though..

A tad past noon.....they even took us on and gave us a very thorough personal tour....so good in fact that during the cruise, my son was telling other passengers about the boat and it's operations....he was wayyyy into it...

Hopefully I get a chance to swing by and check it out!!

I am amazed at how these boats are managed. It served for 63 years with FDNY, and has been in the water since it started 78 YEARS AGO, AMAZING!!!!! For ANY boat, that is a feat, let alone a front line piece, is mind blowing!!!

Question for anyone that went already. They say life jackets are required for children under 12. Do they provide them? I'm considering going later today.

Life jackets are provided and they are not as skeezy as I had anticipated.

Was quite disappointed to find out that all the tickets were given out at 1PM, and I didn't even get to get a tour of the boat!!!

Was quite disappointed to find out that all the tickets were given out at 1PM, and I didn't even get to get a tour of the boat!!!

Did you drop my name?

Not gonna lie....was hoping to see this on the way!

post-2837-1246925994.jpg