Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Increase in obese patients puts strain on crews

17 posts in this topic

Increase in obese patients puts strain on crews

By Sara Shepherd

McClatchy Newspapers

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Ambulances are transporting more supersize patients than ever — several a day, including some as large as 800 pounds.

And as the number of morbidly obese Americans goes up, emergency crews are straining their backs and budgets to get them to hospitals.

FULL STORY: http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-products/e...train-on-crews/

This is a trend that many of us are seeing in our systems. We always had a few significantly morbidly obese patients and we knew them by first name and you might see them once a month or so. In the past month I have come into contact with at least 4 new patients in my system (2 of them have siblings in the same condition as well) and we are handling issues for them a couple of times a week. Of course only about one of our bari's live in a stretcher accessible residence from anywhere they are to the bus. The rest are all muscle.

Now at fast food and eating places they post the calories, you know? :D

Yes, and it just isn't right.

500lbs plus! We get them above the 7th floor in the PJs and there is never a working elevator. That's what the squad/rescue is for. Let the 12%s work for you. :P

Remember to protect yourself, your crew, and your patient. EMTs are only required to lift 125lbs. So between you and your partner, if the patient weights more than 200-225lbs (how much does YOUR stretcher weight?) you should be calling for assistance.

Any member who posts the name, address, or other identifying information of a patient in this (or any other) thread will immediately be suspended. Divulging personal information is not the role of an EMT or medic.

Thank you.

The worst is taking them down stairs with a stairchair (the older versions). Some of the new ones with movable handles & tracks make it a little better.

Can't beat a code on the third floor or higher & no elevator

Remember to protect yourself, your crew, and your patient. EMTs are only required to lift 125lbs. So between you and your partner, if the patient weights more than 200-225lbs (how much does YOUR stretcher weight?) you should be calling for assistance.

That's right. EMTs should be calling for help lifting. But why are the medics complaining? ALS means "Ain't Lifting S**t!!" :rolleyes:

Dont forget the increase in the EMT's weight as well...eating fast food in a bus parked on the corner in between runs than sucking down soda's and smoking a pack a shift...we should worry about our health as well. I see too many of us that are the same size as some of our bariatric patients...whats the load limit on most residential floor systems??

We used to have quite a few "Frequent Flyers" that were morbidly obese and bed ridden. They called for us once a week if not more, and we had systems devised for just about all of them to move them easier, including having well intentioned neighbors who always showed up to help when they saw the bus pull up, because they knew their neighbors and cared. We used the FD on several occasions for lifting, and on some calls to completely remove a wall, or take out a window and set up a 4:1 hauling system to lower the patient to the cot below. We have tried everything, but its getting worse.

In my A job as an RN I am responsible for Safe Patient Handling Program. It's my job to do hazard risk assessments, recommend appropriate equipment such as ceiling lifts floor to stand lifts, and any other transfer devices. There are a few products that are starting to come out for EMS use, however we seem to be the last their are concerned about for injuries. Healthcare workers are by OSHA standards only allowed to lift 35lbs...so why is it that we in EMS are expected to be the pack mules and risk or backs, shoulders and any other body part? Even though we may use proper body mechanics it is the repetitive force and motion on our bones and muscles that over time create problems for us....and it doesn't have to be the bariatric patient that we get hurt from....

That's right. EMTs should be calling for help lifting. But why are the medics complaining? ALS means "Ain't Lifting S**t!!" :rolleyes:

I hope your not serious. I happen to be a Medic and always do the bulk of the lifting, sometimes while carrying my gear on my back. If you think you have a problem with a Medic then speak to them directly.

It's too bad the healthcare industry is focused on treating problems and not prevention.

I hope your not serious. I happen to be a Medic and always do the bulk of the lifting, sometimes while carrying my gear on my back. If you think you have a problem with a Medic then speak to them directly.

It's too bad the healthcare industry is focused on treating problems and not prevention.

VERY SERIOUS! When working BLS 911 and the double medic truck comes, one medic ALWAYS runs for the Med radio in the truck, and the other carries the lifepack 12. This is common place where I work in NJ. Been told myself and to all the EMT's at our hospital, "want to stop lifting, become a medic." At XYZ company in the Hudson Valley where I used to work, (don't want to start another company bashing thread) it was the complete opposite. But then again, it was just the two of us. The worst there was when the medic "forgot" his equipment and expected the EMT to carry it as they made a bee-line to the door. But we always had the BLS bag!! :P

We have tried everything, but its getting worse.

OK, so what is the answer? rehabs feel that they cannot limit the food intake of these patients because it would violate their basic rights, BUT the patient is often on a 6000 + calerie a day diet. All too many are on public assistanc because they cannot work. Eating $40 a meal of Cardiac Arrest Burger (as my fav delhi now calls one sandwitch!) while on the dole, then calling 9-1-1 because ... .

So we go out the wherever, pick them up in a unit that has more stress because it is used soley for the bari pt., a cot that has metal fatuge for the same reason, and a 2 person crew, one of whom has a bad back from that crash way back when with Henry Ford, and the company get paid $80 to $150 + $2.00 per mile. The company can't afford a new specialty unit because of this, they can't afford more crew. So ... what do we do?

There is no quick answer. But we need to do something. I just read that they hope tohave government healthcare by the end of next wek, and healthcare still hasn't come up with an answer for the bari or the person who wants a taxi cab from Fishkill to Poughkeepsie & calls 9-1-1 & then books out of the ER. :angry:

VERY SERIOUS! When working BLS 911 and the double medic truck comes, one medic ALWAYS runs for the Med radio in the truck, and the other carries the lifepack 12. This is common place where I work in NJ. Been told myself and to all the EMT's at our hospital, "want to stop lifting, become a medic." At XYZ company in the Hudson Valley where I used to work, (don't want to start another company bashing thread) it was the complete opposite. But then again, it was just the two of us. The worst there was when the medic "forgot" his equipment and expected the EMT to carry it as they made a bee-line to the door. But we always had the BLS bag!! :P

That's pathetic and if it's one medic you should talk to him or her. If it's an agency problem you should talk to your boss and have him/her talk to their boss. There's no excuse for anyone dumping on anyone in the system. If the medic can't or is too lazy to carry his/her own equipment, leave it there. Let him go back for it - it's not your job!

This is supposed to be about teamwork and collaboration but that's just abusive and they're the one's that give all others a bad name.

Another story on the subject...

The cost of an ambulance ride has become a weighty issue in Shawnee County, Kansas. Beginning today overweight patients will have a heavier price to pay for an ambulance ride.

Monday Shawnee County Commissioners approved the rate increase for the county's ambulance provider A-M-R (American Medical Response).

People, who weigh more than 350 pounds will have to pay $1,172.00 for a ride to the hospital, almost double the current rate of $629.00. The rate per mile is also going up, from $11.09 per mile to $16.00 per mile.

The increased rates will help pay for additional equipment and manpower. Special gurneys for larger patients are six inches wider and can hold 200 pounds more than the standard ones, up to 850 pounds. They also have an attachment that helps EMT's move the patient safely into the ambulance.

Operations Manager Ken Keller says the goal is safety and not a matter or discrimination. Rates will also go up the same amount for "critical care" patients who need expensive, specialized equipment.

Have we been checking our own scales, guys? Some days it looks like 'bariatric ambulance' refers to the crews, not the equipment. Let us lead by example on this one.

Have we been checking our own scales, guys? Some days it looks like 'bariatric ambulance' refers to the crews, not the equipment. Let us lead by example on this one.

LOL. I wont mention those who once called out as XYZ 'Heavy' 1234 responding. I nearly bust a gut laughing. Don't know what county thought, but it was funny. Of course, the guilty in this case HAVE dropped a lot of weight. As, <cough. cough> have others who didn't like the mirror. ;)