Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Status Of American LaFrance?

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the status of American LaFrance? I know they are starting to deliver again, but are they accepting new orders?

I know Yonkers FD has two ALF pumpers on order, but their dealer, Campbell Supply, dropped ALF for Crimson. Garrison dropped ALF for Ferrara. ALF is no longer affiliated with Freightliner. So, who's Yonkers FD's (and White Plains) dealer and service provider now?

I don't know if Campbell dropped ALF altogether, or if they just added Crimson to get themselves some work. Last time I visited Campbell's site, they still had the ALF logo among those that they sell. (EDIT: Campbell's new delivery page updated as of June 18, showing new ALF products for Newark (engine) and Plainfield (mid-mount tower)).

ALF supposedly had emerged from the bankruptcy protection, and was in the process of consolidating everything back into the South Carolina facility. That was the last I'd heard.

Little Ferry, NJ has an ALF tower on order, and people are saying it'll be a Christmas present, if they're lucky.

Edited by AndyC3J

Aren't they manufacturing REFUSE TRUCKS down at the Summerville plant now? How fitting, they've been pumping out garbage for years now. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that was the plan. They moved the fire vehicle production to Hamburg, NY (RDMurray plant) for engines and Ephrata, PA (LTI plant) for ladders. But, earlier this year, they closed both of those and moved everything back to SC.

I assume they're still making the "garbage" trucks there, too. Insert own joke here. :lol::D

Does anyone know the status of American LaFrance? I know they are starting to deliver again, but are they accepting new orders?

I know Yonkers FD has two ALF pumpers on order, but their dealer, Campbell Supply, dropped ALF for Crimson. Garrison dropped ALF for Ferrara. ALF is no longer affiliated with Freightliner. So, who's Yonkers FD's (and White Plains) dealer and service provider now?

You must be NUTS to order an ALF,.......... unless you have your own shop.

Aren't they manufacturing REFUSE TRUCKS down at the Summerville plant now? How fitting, they've been pumping out garbage for years now. :rolleyes:

Not the entire truck, just the chassis aka the old "Condor" just like Figgie did with the old CTC back in the 80's. Rememebr old FDNY Rescue 2?

You must be NUTS to order an ALF,.......... unless you have your own shop.

I could not agree with you more. The Summerville plant could never build an aerial, would you trust some building an aerial that has never built one before? Truth be told when they shut down the Hamburg, NY plant (RD Murray) and the LTI plant, that was the last straw for ALF. Along with doing chassis and Condor chassis's at the Summerville plant I think they are toying with building a millitary type vehicle, or components for one. In my opinion I think they will finish building what is currently in production, and stop building fire apparatus and focusing on other projects.

I'd really like the American LaFrance name and legacy (what's left of it, at least) to finally be retired with some dignity. And to think, back in 1985 when they moved from Elmira to Bluefield, I thought those rigs were tarnishing the legacy of the once proud ALF name. Turns out, compared to what they've been putting out for the past decade, the Century 2000 rigs were jewels (the Patriots were junk, however). This sad sage just keeps getting worse and worse, and while some might disagree with me and like the early Eagle chassis, I never have.

Waterbury Tower Ladder 2, 2004 ALF will be OOS for at least a month.

Waterbury Tower Ladder 2, 2004 ALF will be OOS for at least a month.

Let me guess ladder issues?

I believe all the recent ALF deliveries were previous ALF dealers finishing up their pending orders......someone must know more....

Yes, I understand that the 2 ALF Eagle Pumper Engines are scheduled to arrive in Yonkers in December 2009 (1 will go to replace E308 and the other "now" being assigned to E306 [originally the 2nd was going to be assigned to E309]). I also believe that a 2008 bid was award for the replacement of Ladder 72 with a Smeal/HME Rearmount, that is due in 2009. HOWEVER, it is interesting to note that in late 2008, YFD also went out to bid for 2 additional pieces of fire apparatus. Although I understand that ALF did bid last year on these 2 additional contracts, based on reviewing the 2008 Bid Requests that were awarded, YFD has decided to go with purchasing Smeals with a Spartan Cab for the recent contract for a New Pumper/Engine (New Engine 309) and a New Rescue/Pumper/Engine (New Squad 11). The Smeal Dealer came in as the lowest bidder, with ALF in second and Pierce being the highest.

Since Yonkers already has Smeal Rigs (Their Rearmount are Smeal/HME's and their Spare Engines are Smeal/HME's), it appears to make sense that if Yonkers is going to go away from ALF (not only the price issue but given the recent economic condition of ALF), they would go back to a Smeal Rig (interestin though that Yonkers chose to have these 2 New Smeal Rigs (new E309 and new Squad 11) mounted on Spartan Chassis rather than HME's?)

Doe anyone within YFD know why they went with Spartan?

Thanks