Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Scarsdale FD Relocated Temporary Heaqurters

10 posts in this topic

Looks like Scarsdale FD is finally getting the much needed renovations they deserve!!!

The Village of Scarsdale Fire Department will be relocating their day to day operations to the Central Maintenance Facility during the renovations of the 50 Tompkins Road address [Fire Headquarters]. This will take approximately eighteen months. Operations will stop at 50 Tompkins Road on 6/26/2009

Work begins on new public safety HQ in Scarsdale

SCARSDALE - Exactly 100 years after the village hired its first police officer to arrest speeders along the newly paved Post Road, the 1922-built red brick Federal-style police headquarters is set to undergo major renovations.

Bringing the Scarsdale Public Safety Building - which houses the headquarters of both the police and fire departments - to 21st century standards has been in the works for six years.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20090720/NEWS...323/1018/NEWS02

Does anyone know if the plans drafted for the New Fire/Police Headquarters calls out for the "Bays" that house the Fire Apparatus to be facing Post Road, rather than how it has been in the past, with the Fire Apparatus Bay facing outward from the rear of the building. I would think it would make more sense to have the Apparatus Bays face Post Road, for faster response times (yes it would mean possibly only say 10 seconds or so, but in a life situation, 10 seconds is allot of time). Again, can anyone, who might have seen the blueprints for the new facility, can tell everyone if the plans call out for the bays to face Post Road?

Thanks

Although I can see the advantages of responding from bays on the Post Rd, with the terrain of the property and basement, I THINK preventing drive thru bays, and the busy intersections that are on Post Road, I figure the bays will remain in back, which would make it easier and safer for the rigs to deal with the Post Rd. traffic.

You can take a look at the proposed exterior drawings of the new facility at the architects website. Under portfolio and than under municipal

http://www.pfga.net/

Was this plan in effect before they bought the new 11ft ladder?

I had heard generically, not specific to Scarsdale, that when designing a Fire Station it is safer to have apparatus enter traffic on a side street then merge into a highway from the side street, rather than entering directly onto a highway, or major roadway, which with it's increased traffic flow would be more difficult and dangerous for apparatus to enter into. So with this idea, Scarsdale is doing the right thing.

Where's the 13 million coming from?

The taxpayers they wanted the new building to match the neighborhood despite the added cost. Much like the Scarsdale VAC quarters.

The taxpayers they wanted the new building to match the neighborhood despite the added cost. Much like the Scarsdale VAC quarters.

Amazing, peoples priorities! Let's worry abouth the aesthetics of a community and not our overall Health and Safety. Imagine how many Career guys Scarsdale FD could add to their staffing with that 13 million.