Followers 0
RWC130

Croton's Cops dominate list of Top Earners

6 posts in this topic

Croton's cops dominate list of top earners

By Robert Marchant

rmarchan@lohud.com

July 26, 2009

CROTON-ON-HUDSON - A total of 14 police officers and sergeants in the village Police Department earned more than $100,000 in salary and overtime last year, while the retiring police chief departed with some $300,000.

Dennis Coxen, the village's biggest municipal earner in 2008, retired as police chief after a 40-year career with the village, including 22 years as chief, and was paid $300,175 in salary and other compensation.

http://lohud.com/article/20090726/NEWS02/907260328/-1/NEWS

I am posting not because this article is about my former co-workers but in general these articles (which the public has the right to know) are pointing out the big money makers in every city/town/village in the county. If you look at these articles almost all of these people are in the public service sectors of their respective communities, fire, police, ems and dpw's. These services are vital to each of these communities and I personally don't begrudge any of these people (except for one in Croton) for the money they make, they aren't sitting at home or having a family outing they are at work away from their families providing all of us with the services we expect from our local governments. I only wish I hadn't retired almost 9 years ago I could have been #2.

EXACTLY! These "top earners" don't just have a cushy job where wheelbarrows of money roll in - THEY ARE LIKE ME - WORKING THEIR ASSES OFF!

I work like a dog to make what I make so my family can live comfortably....I, and in turn, my family, sacrifice alot so I can be here at work...but you do what you have to do....

People not only in Croton, but in many Westchester communities, EXPECT low crime and a high level of service, and these departments give that to them. These officers work holidays, nights, and weekends to keep these people safe, and sometimes don't get to go home. In reality, the money they are making really isn't that much, given the cost of living in Westchester.

The figures sound like a lot, but if you have a wife (or husband), two kids, a mortgage, taxes, etc.....it's a comfortable salary but definetly no where near over the top.

Everyone I know works OT just to make ends meet. Most people only see the big money for public servants, and fail to understand the long hours and personal sacrifices made to earn those wages. I make NOTHING compard to many of the people I see riding the train to and from Manhattan.

I've said it before and ill say it again; if people b**** and moan about these salaries, then let them take the highly competitive exams to get on! Let them make all the sacrifices that these men and women make on a daily basis.

As Seth said, these salaries are NOT that high when taking into account cost of living. Most of this $ comes from overtime, working doubles, extra shifts or details.

Good for these officers, Dets, Sgts, etc that are making the money they are. They're out there 24/7/365 keeping us all safe.