Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest problEMS

Multiple Tone Outs For North Western Westchester EMS

36 posts in this topic

Or how about the other day, while riding the train, a fellow passenger had an issue, I stated I was an emt, this issue did need more medical attention, and when we got to GCT we also waited 10-20 minutes for an ambulance so that I could properly transfer care.

Was it 10 or was it 20 minutes? usually notifications are made once the pt reaches their destination. What was the priority of the job? Basic sick job and you're average response time is 6 to 8 minutes. That just gets the crew outside GCT. Now they've got to find the right track and get down to you. Lets say it were a volunteer service in North Westchester during the period this whole thread started. You have to add another 10 to 15 minutes because this whole thread is about getting a unit in service and responding. How many volunteer agencies advertise the time it takes them to assemble and the time it takes to respond?

I think it shoud be mentionedI don't think that the volunteers on the front line want the service to be like this......but they are stretched thin and it's usually the select few members that keep a corps going. Unfortunely, the powers that govern over them are more into politics and egos then making sure there is adequate EMS coverage is out there.

Hire a consulting firm, and do a study on how to improve EMS in Westchester using both career and volunteer elements. Then, implement the study. ALL of EMS in Westchester needs to band together and get bhind something like this.

ALS - Wake County North Carolina is a perfect example of one of the best third services in the country. In fact, a starting paramedic makes close to 10 grand more than a city of raleigh probie with county benefits (no 20 and out though). My understanding is that the FD EMS relationship is absolutely amazing - EMS is treated as equal professionals and FD is consistently looking to do/learn more in terms of patient care. So, the whole benefits and compensation package is possible - especially here. But you and i will never agree about that :)

Besides, if we were to sell off some of the useless/replicated fire apparatus throughout the county we should have more than enough start up capital for Westchester County EMS. :P

Goose, I have to agree with you on this. I was lucky enough to go down and ride with Wake County EMS for a long weekend while in Paramedic school. Their relationship with FD is amazing and while their system could totally work here there is alot that needs to change in our goverment to get rid of the jurisdictional beefs between organizations. The idea of a county run EMS system, full compensated ambulance, with the addition of "voluntaries"(also fully compensated) is one that doesnt fall far from a beginning in Westchester. One of the Med. Directors for Wake County is originally from Westchester and worked the EMS system here for quite a while. It took NC changing its laws to make the counties responsible for EMS coverage and cities and towns responsible for FD coverage. This same kind of legislation could be what turns NY around as far as EMS is concerned.

Goose unless you can find a way to fund a totally career EMS force without taking money out of taxpayers wallets, the volunteers will win hands down. So in that aspect you are correct; just forget it and let it go because it isn't going to happen.

There are a slew of ways. Sell off all the duplicated fire equipment - that should bring in a few million. Add a few dollars in surcharges to certain official business (you know, when filing for permits, etc.) or create one massive ambulance district. It would probably end up costing a few cups of starbucks a month per household. I'm not a lawmaker but having a pretty good understanding of the political process - anything is possible. The issue just needs to be given the proper attention and followthrough. That is the hard part.

Was it 10 or was it 20 minutes? usually notifications are made once the pt reaches their destination. What was the priority of the job? Basic sick job and you're average response time is 6 to 8 minutes. That just gets the crew outside GCT. Now they've got to find the right track and get down to you. Lets say it were a volunteer service in North Westchester during the period this whole thread started. You have to add another 10 to 15 minutes because this whole thread is about getting a unit in service and responding. How many volunteer agencies advertise the time it takes them to assemble and the time it takes to respond?

Bingo. It may take 6 minutes from the station to the location of the run but no one ever factors in the 10 - 20+ minute lead time it takes to get the crew assembled.

Goose, I have to agree with you on this. I was lucky enough to go down and ride with Wake County EMS for a long weekend while in Paramedic school. Their relationship with FD is amazing and while their system could totally work here there is alot that needs to change in our goverment to get rid of the jurisdictional beefs between organizations. The idea of a county run EMS system, full compensated ambulance, with the addition of "voluntaries"(also fully compensated) is one that doesnt fall far from a beginning in Westchester. One of the Med. Directors for Wake County is originally from Westchester and worked the EMS system here for quite a while. It took NC changing its laws to make the counties responsible for EMS coverage and cities and towns responsible for FD coverage. This same kind of legislation could be what turns NY around as far as EMS is concerned.

Yeah man. Momentum needs to be built and getting those laws changed/amended is the biggest hurdle - that will be straight up, unadulterated, political trench warfare.

Tommy quoted Hannah Montana..............END THREAD! LOL!

Seriously though - Goose's vision is not too far fetched - sure, a fully career FD based EMS system would be tits...then we would all get to be career guys...the amount of jobs opening up would be significant at first...but...

What about the $$$$$ that goes to Rescue Squads and VACS? How can departments justify buying a new ambulance every 5 years when the one they have has low miles from not being able to get out? Keep that old ambulance if you must, and put that $$$$ into funding a career staff to actually get that unit off the floor!

As a taxpayer, I would GLADLY pay more in taxes to fund a career staff; for all 3, Police Fire, and PARAMEDICS....however, I am BLESSED to have a fire department who responds rapidly, consistantly. In case of a fire at my home, I can count on my Brothers to get there fast.

Now as the husband of a diabetic, I KNOW how important it is to have a paramedic at my door quick, and having called them a few times in the past few years, I would put the emphasis on getting a career EMS (read PARAMEDICS!) before a career FD.

Yes - in a perfect world, we would all be career Firefighter/Paramedics.....in every firehouse in the tri-county area.....that would be great....maybe my son will have that chance...

It took NC changing its laws to make the counties responsible for EMS coverage and cities and towns responsible for FD coverage. This same kind of legislation could be what turns NY around as far as EMS is concerned.

Don't hold your breath. If you think our system is bad, I urge you to go to Albany and visit the state capital. Meet your local representative and see what it takes to get legislation enacted or a law changed. To say an act of God is needed is an understatement. Also, there are groups out there who tell the politicians that there is no problem with our services, and that having 100% volunteer agencies saves lots of taxpayer money. With that, I doubt any state or county level politician has any clue that there is actually any sort of problem with responses. I have nothing agianst volunteer agencies, just a few lobbying groups or individuals who can't admit that issues truly exist. I am indifferent to pay status (carrer/vollunteer)so long as the people showing up are properly trained, conduct themselves in a professional manner, and show up promptly upon the first dispatch.

It was mentioned before that volunteer agencies should roster. I wholeheartedly agree. With the rostering, should also come reasonable training standards. Standards that both the volunteer and any potential paid staff both have to meet. Thankfully, EMS certifications in NY are universal across the board. Our elected officials, commissioners, etc. Need to determine a county or state wide level of service, complete with an initaial and continuing training, and field training standard. There should also be a standard for supervising officers' and chief officers' qualifications, just as Police and Fire have. Having a whole bunch of different standards due to the authority having jurisdiction is not going to be helpful. AHJ, in my opinion allows weak organizations to continue to get weaker, and justify sub-standard service. Determine a minimum that can be applied across the board, and meet or exceed that.