Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY's New Battalion Cars

22 posts in this topic

Word is that FDNY has ordered 80 GMC Sierra 2500's crew cab with the DuraMax diesel engines with 6.5 foot bed, which will be equipped with a cap and a slide-out "Extendo-Bed" for equipment and a command center.

These will be assigned to Battalion Chiefs and EMS Supervisors.

I don't know when delivery will start, or who will be equipping them. Any member more knowledgable about this, please feel free to chime in.

This is 100% true and accurate. The bid for 80 GMC vehicles over a three year period. They will be used for Battalion, Division and EMS supervisors.

M' Ave likes this

Prety Cool! They have 2 different setups, one for EMS another for Fire. These are being put together at Odyssey Emergency Vehicles in NJ. Will these be replacing the excursion?

Photos

YouTube Video

Specs-

Charge protection

emergency start system

ignition override

2 15amp 120V shoreline connections

Front LED light bar with grille lights

headlight flasher

LED headlights

rear LED flashers

taillight LED flashers

intersection lights

rear arrows

Siren and siren speakers

Utility cap

running boards

tow hooks

trailer towing package

Graphics by Odyssey

Edited by firedude

My understanding is that these are to replace the Fords as there is no diesel SUV available right now.

Wow. Those are really nice vehicles and will be a great edition to the FDNY. Im glad to see the FDNY opening to new vehicles and Apparatus instead of keeping the same things. Personally I really like what the GMC Truck looks like in an FDNY Scheme. I can't wait to see those Dodge Ambulances.

My VAC has a FORD E-450 4 door 8ft bed with a cap and an extendo-bed for a first response vehicle and two tow our Spec Ops Trailer and our MCI trailer. We decided to not get the diesel cause of the extra cost (additional $6000 for the motor & tranny). So far its holding well. One thing that we did add cause of all of GD deal around here was a grill guard. Also helps god forbid we get into a front end collision.

Looks too large to me.

Word from the shops is, "there will be clearance issues in some firehouses".

ny10570 likes this

Nothing the truck can't fix in an afternoon with the K12.

Nothing the truck can't fix in an afternoon with the K12.

That would involve the truck "doing" something ;)

That would involve the truck "doing" something ;)

Does stepping off the rig count as doing something?

Does stepping off the rig count as doing something?

Haha, ZING. Very good, very good.....

Here are a couple of photos I took real quick with my blackberry on my way to work yesterday morning on the Deegan I guess they were delivering a couple to Randalls Island and out to Fleet Service in Queens.

post-3846-126160712149.jpg

post-3846-126160714657.jpg

post-3846-12616072688.jpg

Hey! Two hands on the wheel! And just because you aren't talking on the phone, you are using it while driving, those cops are sticklers for that! j/k

Due to the city's budge problems, these expensive vehicles will be bringing these older models back:

post-2605-038001000 1276878145.jpg

bad box and batt2 like this

Pictured with the NEW pumpers too.post-2605-096720300 1276884855.jpg

Love the Picture with 220 as they are my first due company and the ones I buff the most!

Got a chance to poke around one of the new GMC's the other night. They are not drawing rave reviews. They ride very rough compared to the excursions, although the interior is nice. They are FAR less visible at night, mostly because they did away with the white/red scheme. Stupid.... The slide out tray in the back is really heavy. If you're facing down hill, it's a tough pull out, if you're facing up hill it'll knock you over as it comes out. Also, since the rear is a cap on a pick-up bed, it requires a separate key, one more to carry around. Lastly, when the back is open, there is not enough/any decent rear lighting as it's blocked by the caps rear door. They did away with the highway risers, so that's an issue.

M'Ave, I can appreciate what you are saying. The fire dept in the city I live has had one for awhile. The slide out rear tray is really heavy to roll out. And as you point out, being on a hill just presents more problems. The added stripping is missing too. And not having those highway lights will make a difference while operating on those busy expressways. Some very good points that you have presented.

M'Ave, I can appreciate what you are saying. The fire dept in the city I live has had one for awhile. The slide out rear tray is really heavy to roll out. And as you point out, being on a hill just presents more problems. The added stripping is missing too. And not having those highway lights will make a difference while operating on those busy expressways. Some very good points that you have presented.

What exactly are highway risers? For the lightbar?

For many years, F.D.N.Y. used the 'Multi-Level Lights' manufactured by Julian McDermott Corp. of L.I.C., N.Y.. At the time, they used 'barrell type' sealed beams that faced front and rear and produced an alternating flash pattern of red and amber:

My link

They were very effective.

It appears that he now also manufactures the unit using LED's:

My link

At one time, most of the mechanical flasher units (Large 'can type')as well as the front and rear flashing lights on F.D.N.Y. apparatus were manufactured by Julian Mc Dermott:

My link

Edited by bad box