Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TAPSJ

Iowa 911 Via Text

7 posts in this topic

Iowa 911 became the first to start recieving emergancy text messageing. I think this is a really good idea. Especially in hostage situations. Vital information can get out that us as emergancy personal need to know. How do the rest of you feel???

Info Was Found On PoJo.com

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article...NEWS03/90806003

Thomas

IOWA rules!

I am trying to convince my wife we should move there!

My understanding is that various agencies have done studies on the feasibility of txt dispatching. Does anyone know the findings? Any places that currently use this? Does it work?

I second what Tom said, also makes it easy with people who are deaf, or people who are mute, or even in cases where you want to be discrete.

NYPD was looking into being able to receive video and picture texts for crime reporting, but I never heard anything about it being implemented.

Texting to 911 PSAP's is a major part of the Next-Gen E-911 systems currently being planned at the Federal and State levels. Some states are further along with Next Gen E-911 than others. There have been many hurdles to overcome. Ultimately, rather than piggy back new technology onto the existing E-911 systems, E-911 is being redesigned from the ground up. The present E-911 systems were designed around the wired phone system. the new technology is being designed around the mobile phone system. Text messaging and mobile video will be a part of Next-Gen E-911. Text messaging is becoming vital for E-911 because so many of the hearing impaired have migrated to texting from the old TDY/TTY systems. The major obstacles have been accurate location technology for wireless systems and how to accurately interface dozens of different wireless technologies from multiple vendors into the wired E-911 system so a 911 call ends up at the correct 911 PSAP. Cost is a major factor particularly for states where every local jurisdiction has to have its own PSAP.

For states like New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont with a single or a half dozen PSAP's the cost of Next Gen E-911 is far less.

I believe we will be seeing it here in Texas soon. You can already text crime tips in, but not to 911. Also, sending photos to 911 is the major benefit of this technology in my eyes.