Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Do MDT's Distract Officers While Driving?

16 posts in this topic

I recently read an article that highlight officer-involved collisions due to the officer being distracted by the MDT, texting other officers or reading call notes.

I know our agency relies heavily on the MDT, and we all read it enroute.....and use it to communicate while driving......is this a safe practice?

I don't think it is, but I don't see a solution to the problem.

I recently read an article that highlight officer-involved collisions due to the officer being distracted by the MDT, texting other officers or reading call notes.

I know our agency relies heavily on the MDT, and we all read it enroute.....and use it to communicate while driving......is this a safe practice?

Maybe a year or so ago I remember listening to a local police agency up here pull a sears van over cause the driver had the lid to the laptop opened and issued him a citation...

Can that be considered texting while driving?

Even so, aren't emergency personel exempt during the course of their duty?

Might be far fetched, but i know my brothers new car uses the "Sync" technology that uses bluetooth to his phone and when he receives a text message, it reads it off to him through the cars speakers, then he can talk back to the car, and the car will write out his text message back to the phone. It might be possible to incorporate this technology into MDT for officers use, but who knows.

Might be far fetched, but i know my brothers new car uses the "Sync" technology that uses bluetooth to his phone and when he receives a text message, it reads it off to him through the cars speakers, then he can talk back to the car, and the car will write out his text message back to the phone. It might be possible to incorporate this technology into MDT for officers use, but who knows.

Ramsey or Mahwah - one of the DEEP NORTH Bergen agencies is testing a FULLY voice activated police package. I don't remember if News12 or Bergen Record ran the article. If I come across it, I will re-post it.

How come this isn't as such a hot topic listening to music??

Quite an interesting question. I know that our apparatus are equipped back up cameras and we require the screens be shut-off until backing up on those that are not "automatic" as we found the lighted screen at night was distracting for the operator.

The mdt verbally tells you the call, where it is, type of call. plates you have to run yourself. but they do have voice commands on certain programs, not mine. And yes its distracting if your trying to run a plate and drive!

I had been in a ambulance that had an MDT. I think it depends on the type of MDT. This one was touch screen and had the top 10 used commands for the ambulance. I liked that it has a red square in the bottom right hand corner for the pucker moments when you need help and need it fast.

I believe that according to the Law of Copology, LEO's are immune to or unaffected by the things that would be harmful to the rest of the general population, such as speeding, not using a hands free cell phone, not wearing seatbelts, etc. Of course there is no financial incentive for them to do so and their actions do not generate revenue for their respective jurisdictions, thereby enhancing their immune systems.

I believe that according to the Law of Copology, LEO's are immune to or unaffected by the things that would be harmful to the rest of the general population, such as speeding, not using a hands free cell phone, not wearing seatbelts, etc. Of course there is no financial incentive for them to do so and their actions do not generate revenue for their respective jurisdictions, thereby enhancing their immune systems.

Sarcastic comments aside, the MDT's do have the potential to be distracting when your forced to multitask.

Can you post a link to the article? It would be interesting to see a study, and not just conjecture, about whether or not this is accurate.

I believe that many agencies discourage use of the MDT while driving for this very reason. Of course, police work being police work, it is difficult to elminate use while moving.

Whelen was pushing a voice operated system a while back, but I never heard of anyone using it.

And I believe the law of ignorace fails to reflect on some of the need for some of the things mentioned above. First, a police car is visible and under more scrutiny. Sometimes, they speed because they're understaffed and need to get to the next call, or going to back up or go into the area of another offficer in case he needs assistance, yet can't respond Code 3. Using a cell phone sometimes to communicate with dispatch because the radio doesn't work, or making callback to the complainant.

And, I've never seen a cop who doesn't wear a seatbelt. I've seen way more EMT's and FF's not wear seatbelts.

And I believe the law of ignorace fails to reflect on some of the need for some of the things mentioned above. First, a police car is visible and under more scrutiny. Sometimes, they speed because they're understaffed and need to get to the next call, or going to back up or go into the area of another offficer in case he needs assistance, yet can't respond Code 3. Using a cell phone sometimes to communicate with dispatch because the radio doesn't work, or making callback to the complainant.

And, I've never seen a cop who doesn't wear a seatbelt. I've seen way more EMT's and FF's not wear seatbelts.

AMEN!

I'm glad you LE guys took care of responding to that nonsense. I had to reread it 5 or 6 times to try and figure out what the h@ll that post was about. I'm still waiting as well for the link to the article by the way.