Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Extremely Technical Technical Rescue - Slot Canyon, UT - 08/19/09

14 posts in this topic

Be sure to check out the photos associated with this story.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=7587144

In a dramatic rescue, a helicopter had to balance on the top of a rock to pull Williamson to safety. Crews used a litter and ropes to remove Williamson from the slot canyon and was then flown to the hospital.

Williamson apparently fell off a ledge in the Red Mountain area while he was hiking Sunday.

Wow! Chris how hard is that to do? Is it as hard as it looks? The crew working there don't seem very concerned about it at all!

State Police put their bird down on top of Breakneck a few years back in a pretty hairy spot. Not like that one though.

I'm assuming they did it this way because the A-Star doesn't have winch capabilities? Or is there another reason to land the helicopter there. Not second guessing, just wondering.

I would not want to be in that pilots shoes during that landing. I wonder what the pucker factor on that was.

Also I wonder if there will be any follow up stories about this. Utah, Colorado and allot of other mountain states have started to charge for rescue if they determine that the victim should not have been in the area (lack of experience, alone, unequipped for area)

I'm assuming they did it this way because the A-Star doesn't have winch capabilities? Or is there another reason to land the helicopter there. Not second guessing, just wondering.

No, the A-star can have hoist capabilities. It may have been that this particular aircraft was not so equipped or it was too close to the canyon wall or too deep for the hoist line (usually only a 110 feet or so).

Here's a link to a news story from right here in NY (Erie County) where an A-Star made seven hoist rescues after the severe storms there a week or two ago.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/760013.html

Wow! Chris how hard is that to do? Is it as hard as it looks? The crew working there don't seem very concerned about it at all!

To me, it's got to be really hard in an A-star because you can't see the skid tips. That's always nice when you're landing on a pinnacle. That pilot obviously has quite a bit of experience with moutain/canyon flying.

As for the crew, that's what training and experience will get you! You have to train for it and that looks like the ultimate practical exam.

Great Technical Rescue. Well Said. The Ultimate Practical Exam.

It is hard to tell but it appears that they have the Rescue Line tied off to a skid on the Helicopter.

In picture 6 they have one end anchored to a BFR. Picture 9 shows the other end of the zip line, You can't see what its tied to but appears theres nothing else around to anchor to except the skid on the hello. IF that is in fact the case, is that an acceptable anchor ? I guess it is because they are using it. I would not think so but never had a need to think about doing that (and am sure never will).

Any thoughts on that Chris ?

Edited by TCD0415

Looking at pic 4 and 6 it looks like he was found where the canyon comes into a wedge. Too tight to get the bird in. Looks like they used it as their anchor to ferry him across the gap.

Edited by ny10570

To me, it's got to be really hard in an A-star because you can't see the skid tips. That's always nice when you're landing on a pinnacle. That pilot obviously has quite a bit of experience with moutain/canyon flying.

As for the crew, that's what training and experience will get you! You have to train for it and that looks like the ultimate practical exam.

What's the toughest landing you ever had to make?

just saw footage on HDL news of the helicopter landing on the rock cropping.... not sure who had bigger balls, ??? the pilot or the guys standing just below the ledge he set it down on.... there was not allot of room...

What's the toughest landing you ever had to make?

The FIRST one!!!! :lol: