Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Pierce introduces the Changeable Response Unit (CRU)

14 posts in this topic

Another possibility for those departments that might need to stretch one truck into three. It's interesting to say the least.

Well as much as I'm anti one rig for all jobs, this concept is actually a very good idea. Kudos to Pierce for thinking out of the box and helping the wallet.

Cogs

Aside from the obvious advantages this could give an emergency agency; the commercial applications for something like this are endless.

I want one for my motorcycles!

If im not mistaken FDNY has somewhat of the same system but for there collapse unit kinda like a big enclosed dumpster, and on the huge Mack Granite chassis. Just saying its actually a pretty unique and all-in-one system.

They are called P.O.D.'s - Platform On Demand

Montgomery Ct. MD has had one as a collapse unit for about 2 years. Fairfax VA a communications unit for 15 or so and in 1993 I saw over 40 different variations in Germany, everything you could think of.

It never gain much headway in the US, maybe this smaller unit will.

Kudos to Pierce for thinking out of the box and helping the wallet.

This is neither a Peirce Innovation, or dare I guess cheap! As Bnechis noted, I remember these units in Virginia easily as far back as the early 90's. I believe the first US ones may have been on larger chassis and therefore had a larger payload. I remember they looked like red dumpster haulers, but the PODs seemed to make sense for those SOC type units that had limited numbers individual incidents, but multiple roles.

I think departments/brigades through-out Europe use similiar PODS in their fleets, but I think that they might be on large chassis.

Montgomery County, Maryland has been using PODS for 15+ years. In the Philadelphia area the UASI agencies are using them to carry various PODS for major events. Howard County, Maryland also has PODS. Cooper Tank in Brooklyn does the coversions for FDNY.

The photos are from the Montgomery County, PA EMS MCI truck

post-3609-1251842810.jpg

post-3609-1251842819.jpg

Aside from the obvious advantages this could give an emergency agency; the commercial applications for something like this are endless.

I want one for my motorcycles!

Here you go

http://www.overbiltlifts.com/puloader.html

Seen one at Lake George. They are cool, and you can take the system out and have your bed back

Yes revolutionary indeed :rolleyes: This is pic is from 1979 I believe. post-4209-1251862976.jpg

Geez Pierce selling a pickup truck with a removable skid unit.............Like that hasn't been done by any small body builders before.