Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TCD0415

Officers Side Parking Brake

12 posts in this topic

Has anyone out there had a rig built recently with a second parking brake on the officers side of the cab. This would be as a safety precaution in case the driver becomes incapacitated, the officer could set the brake from his seat. This would not be a standard pull type switch, but a safety switch with a protective cover over it requiring 2 separate actions to activate. We are building a new Rescue and are being told that Spartan will not install this due to some federal guideline. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Officer ! whats that ? Do you mean two on the rig, somebody that can stop the rig in the event of a problem, what a novel Idea !

Edited by PCFD ENG58

I know Hartsdale Engine 169 and Engine 171 both have them (both twin 2000 Pierce Dash's).

I think it's a great idea, but I haven't seen it besides those engines.

We have it on our new Pierce (E-25) Spartan does not do it, but as a comprimise the new Rescue will have the brake on the engine tunnel within reach of the driver & the officer.

Is there a reason why Spartan won't do it? I know in Hartsdale there was the issue of the officer accidentally snagging the brake, but they solved that in house by putting an easy flip cover over the switch.

I had thought this option was offered on our Spartan Gladiator, but I may be wrong. We ended up with it in the middle so both the officer and driver can reach it.

That reminds me of the time the officer hit it and when we got back to quarters he couldnt figure out why the brakes were on fire lol. All of our rigs in NY have it.

can someone please explain this more.... I have never heard of it and want to know more...

So there are 2 air brake buttons on the rig, do they both do the same thing ? ( I assume they do, I know it sounds really stupid of me ... ) but I am not sure I want the ablitity to stop the rig, I am in control of, in reach of another firefighter ( the officer ).... does it work in the same capacity as the drivers ???

I can see coming to an intersection, and seeing the movement of the vehicles ahead and around you, and plotting your path through traffic, mean while the officer, with a head set on, ( getting updates, replying on the radio, and going over procedures in their head ) looks up, from something he is doing below the windshield, and sees a car and panics and hits the button and stops the rig, I have never pulled the air brake while doing 25 mph, so I do not know how it will handle - who knows what happens then.....

yes this is a crazy, but it can happen... I know when I am the guy in control of the apparatus, I want full control...

so what are the pro reasons for it ?

I know nothing of this topic, but find it interesting. I would hope that each department has a specific protocol that details when an officer should dump the air.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't spring brakes (held open by air in normal operation) have limited stopping power? Probably wouldn't lead to a lockup/instant stop situation. More like driving around with your parking brake on.

Here's a picture of the officer's brake control on an FDNY rig, right below the officer's speedo. It reads "SPRING BRAKE CONTROL CAUTION: FOR EMERGENCY USE ONLY"

3888689818_5a8b0ecae5.jpg

Its not to be used to avoid a car or modify the drivers behavior. Its for use if the driver is incapacitated.