Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
v85

Police Officer/Deputy Sheriff Civil Service Exam

18 posts in this topic

Orange and Ulster counties have announced filing for the Police Officer/Deputy Sheriff exam to be given on 11/14/2009.

www.orangecountygov.com

www.co.ulster.ny.us

Anybody take the Orange County exam? I was curious if there was more than one test sight? I took the test at a school in Pine Bush and there were no more than 60-70 people at this site.

I was bummed that i couldnt take the Ulster exam due to residency. I understand residency requirements/restrictions to a point. But if i (or anyone else) am willing to pay the exam fee and make the trip to take the exam, than why stop me? Its just more money that will go to the County, so why the restrictions?

I took the exam at Orange County Community College, since I cross-filed with the SUNY exam. There had to to be over 100 at that test site.

As to your other point, I also don't understand the residency requirements to take the test. I can understand having residency requirements at time of appointment, but not to take the test.

v85...thanks for the reply.

So i guess there were other test sites, figures lol. I never even thought about other sites for cross-filers. I was sitting in that cafeteria thinking "man this is a crappy turnout."

As for the residency requirements, im with ya. Obviously, if im willing to pay for the exam and make the drive to take it, then maybe, just maybe i'd be willing to re-locate if i got a job offer as a result of an exam. As it is, my wife and i have been looking to re-locate to Orange County (Cornwall/New Windsor area). So i figured what the hell, ill take the exam.

Best of luck to you with any exam you take, hope you did well on OC and SUNY.

Thanks. I actually took Ulster too, since the requirement is contigious counties.

v85, or any other member in "the know"...will this civil service exam be used to hire part-time officers as well? I know that many Orange County municipalities use part-time officers and was curious if they can be hired off of the list?

Any info on part-time LEO employment would be greatly appreciated.

Call around. As far as Dutchess they do not use a "list" for part time positions.

Technically the civil service list is not needed to hire part time officers, however, departments sometimes offer part time positons to candidates on the list if there are no full time positions available.

In response to the above question.

Dutchess county does not use a list to hire for part-time officers, as is the case in smaller villages such as Wappingers Falls and The Village of Fishkill for example. Im almost certain this is also the case in ulster, not too sure about orange county however a call to the County Clerk or Dept. Of human Resources will answer that question for you.

So my advice would be to contact one of them for a definite answer.

Good Luck!

There is no list requirement for part-time police officers in Orange County. I know of a few that hire part-time:

Village of Walden (1/2 FT & 1/2 PT)

Village of Maybrook (4 FT & Rest PT)

Village of Montgomery (All PT)

Town of Montgomery (1/2 FT & 1/2 PT)

Town of Highlands (Not sure %)

Town of Deerpark (Not sure %)

And I belive the OCSO hires part-time, not a 100% positive though.

OCSO does have part-timers, but they are all retired, either from OCSO or from NYPD.

Village of Florida has 1 FT and the rest are PT

Town of Warwick has 4 PT, but I believe the chief said they will not be hiring any new part-timers, only replacing ones that leave

Village of Greenwood Lake has PT, but I don't know the details

Town and Village of Goshen have PT, don't know how many

Town of Chester has PT, but I believe they require 2 years of experience

Town of Mount Hope has PT, I believe all of them are, but I'm not sure on that

Thats all that I know of for sure, but there are probably others as well.

Edited by v85

Wow, thanks everyone for the replies! All of your info is much appreciated.

I was always interested in finding out more information about part-time employment as a po/ds. Ive heard that some depts may hire you p/t as long as you put yourself through the academy (lots of $).

Im just trying to open some doors and have some options. I have a good job now (good pay, benefits, etc), but have always been interested in law enforcement. I thought getting on p/t may be an excellent opportunity for me.

Wow, thanks everyone for the replies! All of your info is much appreciated.

I was always interested in finding out more information about part-time employment as a po/ds. Ive heard that some depts may hire you p/t as long as you put yourself through the academy (lots of $).

Im just trying to open some doors and have some options. I have a good job now (good pay, benefits, etc), but have always been interested in law enforcement. I thought getting on p/t may be an excellent opportunity for me.

I know Orange County hires p/t and they do not use a list. If you have your NYS Certificate, or are willing to get it at your expense, and pass the course, and their training and requirements, you would easily get hired.

In Dutchess county several of the smaller Departments, including Wappingers falls, hire pt's. In fact if you get yourself into the academy, after phase 1 is completed, they will sponsor you from the beginning of Phase 2 forward to graduation, so you might wanna get in touch with them and find out more info, i know thw college (OCCC) offers the course and it is relatively inexpensive compared to the other ones out there.

Good Luck.

I don't know much about the schedules or times but Ulster Community College offers a NYS Sanctioned Police Academy. The last 3 part timers hired in the Village of Walden were PT dispatchers there first, they "paid" their way through the academy and Walden sponsored them for part 2 of the academy then hired them. I know of at least a dozen cops who got their starts as a PT police dispatcher first, gets the foot in the door and not to hard to come by.

I don't know much about the schedules or times but Ulster Community College offers a NYS Sanctioned Police Academy. The last 3 part timers hired in the Village of Walden were PT dispatchers there first, they "paid" their way through the academy and Walden sponsored them for part 2 of the academy then hired them. I know of at least a dozen cops who got their starts as a PT police dispatcher first, gets the foot in the door and not to hard to come by.

Thank you for posting that, you made me realize the typo i made above, where i stated the OCCC gave this class, when i meant to say UCC. Everyone makes mistakes just glad someone caught it and corrected me. Thanks again =D

I was able to find this on THE DCJS Website:

Training Academy Directory

Zone 14

Dutchess County Law Enforcement Academy

•Address: 150 North Hamilton St., Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

•Phone: 845.486.3870

•Fax: 845.486.3890

•Email: sgallagher@co.dutchess.ny.us

Ulster County Law Enforcement Training Group

•Address: 1 Development Court, Kingston, NY 12401

•Phone: 845.331.4766

•Fax: 845.331.2166

•Email: policeacademy@ucletg.com

•Approved to offer the Pre-Employment Police Basic Training Course through 12/31/2010

Ulster County Sheriff's Academy

•Address: 380 Boulevard, Kingston, NY 12401

•Phone: 845.334.8193

•Fax: 845.338.3645

•Email: jdim@co.ulster.ny.us

Zone 14 Law Enforcement Academy

•Address: Columbia-Greene Community College, 4400 Route 23, Hudson, NY 12534

•Phone: 518.392.3451

•Fax: 518.392.3110

•Email: chathampd@fairpoint.net

* Zone 14 includes Columbia, Dutchess, Greene and Ulster counties

This is the website i found it at, it has lots of helpful information to help you get a lot of your questions answered:

http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/ops/training/zoneacademies/zone_14.htm

Hope this will be helpful to you and anyone else that is interested in the same. also on the website, there is contact information listed for each training zone in the state, so no matter where you are you can find someone to contact about this issue.

The one that myself and i believe 201/65 were speaking of above is this one " Ulster County Law Enforcment Training Group" I Dealt With Lt. Tinti, when i was thinking of going through this program, he is easy to work with, very straight foreward as to the expectations and requirements, and will do whatever he can to help you get to where you want to be. Again hope this helps. and Good luck.

You guys have been awesome, thanks for all the replies and information. This is something i really want to look into and hopefully persue.