Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R1SmokeEater

FDNY Bronx Fire: Civilian HELPS Firefighter w/ rescue

12 posts in this topic

Wow, great video, thanks for sharing R1.

Its nice to see that there are still people with heart and morals that will still help those in need, especially these days.

Agreed.....great video.

We often throw around the word hero on this site but I think this maybe one case where it maybe deserved. This would have been the call of the year or lifetime for some firefighters....smoke and flames pushing from a OMD with persons trapped, sounds like every probies fantasy. Yet, a man, a stranger, with no experience, training or protection did something that those with the experience, training or protection did not do. This is not to say they too might have pulled the boy from the fire but the fact of the matter is this man did it first and quite possibly saved the childs life because of it. Some say we attach the label hero to emergency services personnel too easily but this man is not in the category, he is your average joe six-pack New Yorker who did what he thought was right. He is a hero in my book, just like the guy who saved the man on the subway from the train or kid from harrison who saved the person in Mass.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Agreed.....great video.

We often throw around the word hero on this site but I think this maybe one case where it maybe deserved. This would have been the call of the year or lifetime for some firefighters....smoke and flames pushing from a OMD with persons trapped, sounds like every probies fantasy. Yet, a man, a stranger, with no experience, training or protection did something that those with the experience, training or protection did not do. This is not to say they too might have pulled the boy from the fire but the fact of the matter is this man did it first and quite possibly saved the childs life because of it. Some say we attach the label hero to emergency services personnel too easily but this man is not in the category, he is your average joe six-pack New Yorker who did what he thought was right. He is a hero in my book, just like the guy who saved the man on the subway from the train or kid from harrison who saved the person in Mass.

Not for nothing but what about the brother from 47 truck who pushed into the apartment, conducted the search, found the boy and pulled him out. This civilian just stood on the fire escape and walked the kid down. I think some credit should be given to the brother who was operating on the fire floor.

No doubt the civilian may be considered a hero, however everyone seems to forget about the Brother who went past the rooms involved in fire to reach the child, this civilian did not enter the burning apt. nor did he take the child down the fire escape. Only took him 1 floor down and handed him to the medically trained firefighters who took kid to ambulance asap. Great the kid survived and so on but the press is a little over blown in my humble opinion.

check out fdnyinsider.com and read the firefighters story.

Edited by Mac8146

I watched this video last night on the news and was thinking how the hell did this guy get into that apt without a scba, then I saw the video of the FF handing the boy out the window to him. Great job by the FF's from L47. I would have told this guy to get the F@%K out of here @$$hole the buildings on FIRE!! Let him have his 15min as always great job by FDNY

Edited by jd783

I notice the Lieutenant was Fred Ill III fresh out of FLSTP. Son of Capt. Fred Ill Jr. Captain of Ladder 2 killed 9/11. Way to go Freddy and Ladder 47.

Most NY news stations did a story on this video. It is incredible how they praised the civilian as being a hero, but made no mention of the FF entering a burning apartment with no hose line, in terrible conditons, to save this boys life.

Of course the news isn't going to praise the guy from 47 Truck, because in the minds of the media, and most folks, that's what they get paid to do. Incidentally, this fella propsed to his girlfriend on National TV this morning. Hopefully the guy from 47 will get what's coming come Medal Day.

Agreed.....great video.

Couldn't disagree more.

The child was handed to him by FF. Jimmy Senk, L-47, who crawled in and found him. This guy carried him down the fire escape. I'm assuming that the FF thought the guy was another FF, and handed him off.

That's just lending a hand, as far as I'm concerned.

You all may disagree with me but as far as im concerned this civilian did an action that was far above and beyond any that was expected of him. If the civilian had not been there are all of you 100% positive that the situation would have had the same out come? This guy is not a member of the FDNY, he is not trained but what he did is indicative of someone who is willing to make a sacrifce. Would any of you had done the same thing? Smoke pushing, heavy flames above your head, no gear, no training, nothing and yet you still go in. I will call you too a hero if you are willing to do all of that but since most of us including me usually put on my gear, rely on my training and SCBA to enter a building fire and make a save like that I think he deserves a little bit of recognition for his actions.