Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
americanpolice

2011 Chevrolet Caprice PPV- For PDs Only

20 posts in this topic

Interesting....

I like the fact that they will have the big 6.0L V8 with a V6 option in 2012. However, looking at the inside picture, I'm not a fan of where they put the radios. I mean, this car is supposed to be specially designed for PD, but yet they still have to take their eyes off the road to adjust the radio, change frequencies, etc...

I think it's a great idea, but still needs some fine-tuning

Yeah I agree with the above post. Seems like they just tweaked the Impala with some PO input. When I saw the radio placement, I was wondering how easy it would be to slip your elbow off and hit the emergency button or change channels.

I think they could've also make it more aggressive looking like the charger.

Overall, I was't wowed by the new car but its better than its parent.

Nice and small! Next theyll come out with a VW Bug Police Package! 2

Some sharper lines to make it look more aggresive would be nice . It looks too much like a Toyota Camry from the side.

Typical crappy GM engineering. And it's not a new car, either; I liked it the first time when it was called an IMPALA.

+1 on the GM engineering and impala quotes.

I just cant believe they are importing this thing just for police. No way they are going to make enough profit, I'm sure at some point it will be offered to the public. At that point, it will need to look a lot sharper than the way it does now...

Nice and small! Next theyll come out with a VW Bug Police Package! 2

post-4072-1254778036.jpg

I liked it the first time when it was called an IMPALA.

Actually, it's based on the Pontiac G8. Much of the same tooling from the former Pontiac line will be used.

Maybe so, but since every single one of us on this board owns a piece of GM, we should all be outraged at this colossal waste of our tax dollars. It's not a new car and I highly doubt that they'll be able to turn a profit. Even if they use much of the same tooling as the former Pontiac line, it's counter-productive; Pontiac doesn't exist anymore for a specific reason, so re-badging the same tired old POS isn't going to help Chevrolet gain any kind of foothold in the marketspace left by the Crown Vic's exit. It's nice to see that after all the months of crying about how they needed taxpayer assistance, the same lack of creative ideas and poor engineering are still running rampant throughout General Motors.

Maybe so, but since every single one of us on this board owns a piece of GM, we should all be outraged at this colossal waste of our tax dollars. It's not a new car and I highly doubt that they'll be able to turn a profit. Even if they use much of the same tooling as the former Pontiac line, it's counter-productive; Pontiac doesn't exist anymore for a specific reason, so re-badging the same tired old POS isn't going to help Chevrolet gain any kind of foothold in the marketspace left by the Crown Vic's exit. It's nice to see that after all the months of crying about how they needed taxpayer assistance, the same lack of creative ideas and poor engineering are still running rampant throughout General Motors.

The car is actually a carbon copy of the Holden Commodore and Chevy Caprice (sold in Middle East and Asia IIRC). The car will be built on the line already producing these models. There is very little cost associated with developing and producing this car (i.e. very nice profit).

As for the Pontiac G8, the reason why it's no longer being produced is much more complex than it being a tired old POS. GM needed to become leaner and one of the ways to do that was to eliminate brands. Pontiac was among the slower-selling and more redundant brands (the reasons behind which require a whole other conversation) and thus the decision was made to eliminate it. The G8 was in fact well received by the automotive press and had a lot of potential. It couldn't, however, justify keeping Pontiac alive.

If you look around, most PD's are going with the Charger, a fine choice, in my opinion...

If you look at the tail end, it looks almost exactly like the current impala, with a malibu nose and a bigger engine... a few cosmetic changes along the way, but realistically, the same

post-3766-1254791571.jpg

post-3766-1254791581.jpg

Edited by EFFP411

If you look at the tail end, it looks almost exactly like the current impala, with a malibu nose and a bigger engine... a few cosmetic changes along the way, but realistically, the same

It may look the same, but it's a completely different architecture underneath.

It may look the same, but it's a completely different architecture underneath.

Most likely, I'm also basing that assumption on GM's past history with dupicating vehicles... like the 70's GM vehicles, the Nova, Chevelle, GTO, buick skylark and century, all basically the same, different cosmetics, different engine variations, etc. I recall my father telling me about the brand new chevelle he picked up at the factory that had nova badging on the dash, lol

A rear-wheel drive Chevy sedan would be a welcome addition to the emergency vehicle market, I would assume. Arse-end is an Impala, front end is a modified Malibu with different lights. Definitely a different monster underneath the skin. A longer wheelbase than the Crown Vic probably amounts to better handling, despite the huge boost in power, due to bigger tires and less front and rear weight "hangover". Push the wheels to the corners, and it's a more solid ride.

Hope to see this thing on the streets soon.

Most likely, I'm also basing that assumption on GM's past history with dupicating vehicles... like the 70's GM vehicles, the Nova, Chevelle, GTO, buick skylark and century, all basically the same, different cosmetics, different engine variations, etc. I recall my father telling me about the brand new chevelle he picked up at the factory that had nova badging on the dash, lol

Quite true. In this case, the Caprice is sharing architecture with the Pontiac G8, Chevy Camaro, and various Holden/Vauxhall products from overseas. The Impala shares architecture with the Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, and the Buick LaCrosse through the 2009 model year.

Guys, this isn't an American car at all, its actually produced in the Holden Factory in South Australia where I live. Its 100% Holden, just with a different badge, in fact this will make a fortune for the Holden Plant, as its based on the Holden Commodore Caprice, of which they are already building a tonne of. They already export a large number of these cars.

Maybe a bit more research is required....its a huge car, I don't know how much bigger you could want a car !! Its not a re-hashed car at all, it was a ground up brand new car here in Australia, I have the model before it, and I can tell you its not even remotely similar.

It should be a good car for you, its built for Australian conditions so should suit you guys well. (and yes we range from dry summers to snow in winter)