Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NWFDMedic

Newburgh considers emergency service fee.

10 posts in this topic

http://www.recordonl.../NEWS/911090318

Bello's plan would support the departments entirely through a fee. The big difference from property taxes is all property owners in the city would pay it — including nonprofits and others who don't pay property taxes now. There are lots of them.

Interesting concept. If it passes the legal system, it might be something Fairview (Dutchess) might consider.

Edited by jack10562
Source Site Copyright Notice

Not going to happen unless the NYS Legislature makes a change in the law.Good luck on that.

Which law?

Which law?

The whole thing is absurd. These services are already paid for in your taxes. Where and when does this top. However, on the other hand, if this saves the taxpayer money, as they claim, go for it.

Not going to happen unless the NYS Legislature makes a change in the law.Good luck on that.

Yep. The NYS Legislature would have to pass/amend existing law that exempts certain property fron real estate taxation........and that ain't gonna happen.

But if they try, good luck.

The whole thing is absurd. These services are already paid for in your taxes. Where and when does this top. However, on the other hand, if this saves the taxpayer money, as they claim, go for it.

Did you read the story? This would only begin to charge facilities who do not currently contribute. The issue is institutions, i.e. MSMC, other tax exempt properties, etc., etc., stepping up and paying a little something for services which they currently get for free. I personally don't see it as absurd at all.

Yep. The NYS Legislature would have to pass/amend existing law that exempts certain property fron real estate taxation........and that ain't gonna happen.

But if they try, good luck.

I have to agree with you Rich. You tell me that you're going to get our dysfunctional state government to change the law and allow any type of tax or fee to all those not for profits, churches etc to be charged a fee? That just ain't going to happen.

I think this is a very good idea. Put many of the exempt properties on the books so to speak. Spread it out a little bit. But the one poster was correct. Good luck getting this past Albany. The special intrest groups like the religious groups will have to coin out on a lot of their properties now. This would also now effect the school districts. You will see your school tax go up yet again.

This has been proposed numerous times, especially in our neck of the woods. Of course our tax exempts already pay for water and sewer service, as state law defines them as "essential." Perplexing stuff.

FDNYDCHI likes this