Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pd125

City of Beacon looks to close a station

48 posts in this topic

:huh: The City of Beacon is looking to close,disband Station 1. The council has started the process. This would leave the city with one engine and ladder with the engine on the other side of Beacon. These are the politicians that spent millions to buy land for open space. More to follow

:huh: The City of Beacon is looking to close,disband Station 1. The council has started the process. This would leave the city with one engine and ladder with the engine on the other side of Beacon. These are the politicians that spent millions to buy land for open space. More to follow

Sounds like they will have more open space to buy if they keep closing fire houses. Hopefully it is one of the politicians house and not mine or yours.

Edited by lad12derff

As is typically the case, our politicians in Beacon are not the brightest crayons in the box. They've looked into cutting almost all city services in some way or another from recreation to the DPW. Last week it was the DPW workers on the chopping block and somehow, magically they FOUND money they didn't know they had all of a sudden and were able to save those jobs. I'm glad they did, I have friends who work there however, doesn't it stink of corruption if they can find over $100,000 that no one knew we had? Who is managing the money if that's how our money is being handled? Needless to say things are getting bad in Beacon and I don't think it will be long till we revert to the beacon of old (20 years ago with burned out houses, shootings and an overall horrible reputation).

As is typically the case, our politicians in Beacon are not the brightest crayons in the box. They've looked into cutting almost all city services in some way or another from recreation to the DPW. Last week it was the DPW workers on the chopping block and somehow, magically they FOUND money they didn't know they had all of a sudden and were able to save those jobs. I'm glad they did, I have friends who work there however, doesn't it stink of corruption if they can find over $100,000 that no one knew we had? Who is managing the money if that's how our money is being handled? Needless to say things are getting bad in Beacon and I don't think it will be long till we revert to the beacon of old (20 years ago with burned out houses, shootings and an overall horrible reputation).

I don't know if they are closing the house completely or just removing the career staff because i know they still have a volunteer force there, but either way, If I were the people of Beacon, I'd make sure that my fire insurance is paid up.

^ So far the talks have been to close the house and lay off four career staff. The house being closed I could deal with I think, but laying off of four guys is not acceptable.

Station 1 is that Beacon Engine or Mase Hook & Ladder ? Its been yrs. since i lived in Beacon I forgot. If they close a house down I think it will be a sad day for both Volly and career personal. Beacon to me is too large of a distirct to just run one engine,ladder and a rescue, they should have at least 2 engines as it stands now. I'd hate to see Beacon go back to the way it used to be years ago they've come so far now seems like a beautiful place to live now.

Beacon Engine is st. 1 what they should do is move 33-11 to st.@ and not lay off anyone mase is HQ

I agree with that 100% The smarter move would be make Beacon Engine a reserve engine location and move all the guys from Station 1 down to Station 2. Just my opinion.

"Rumor" that I heard is close/disband the company, lay off 4 career men, and SELL THE ENGINE!?!?!?!

Is the bull**** wafting over the River/bridge from Newburgh to Beacon or what? What is going on up there? Closing a house and laying off career staff? What a sham! Are they closing the house to justify the lay-offs or are they just a**-clowns all around with no rhyme or reason?

Damn, i wish all you guys the best, i truly do. It would be my dream to become a career firefighter (as most guys that get on the job). But to get your dream job, just to be laid off? I really hope that the City of Beacon "finds" more money to avoid FF layoffs.

When the economy went bust, i know my knees were knocking a bit. Ive worked DPW for 6 years, however i was still the last to be hired, thus i would be the first to go. Thankfully, things have cooled off a bit and it seems as though im safe, for now.

Best of luck to the Beacon brothers and residents!

Edited by jack10562
language filter

Beacon Engine is st. 1 what they should do is move 33-11 to st.@ and not lay off anyone mase is HQ

It seems like a lot of volunteers have been making posts which are supportive of the career staff in Beacon...that's great! Have the Volunteers considered making a public statement that thet will all refuse to respond if any career staff are laid off?

It seems like a lot of volunteers have been making posts which are supportive of the career staff in Beacon...that's great! Have the Volunteers considered making a public statement that thet will all refuse to respond if any career staff are laid off?

If such is the case, yes its making a statement, but doesn't the public then lose out?? How does it benefit anyone when people stop, or threaten to stop running to emergencies?

Chief - I have made reference to that very thing on a member's Facebook...in my eyes - it is the "right" thing to do.

The problem I foresee, and Southern Dutchess guys DON'T HANG ME..I will be the FIRST to say I am not very familair with the inner workings down there...BUT; How hard is it going to be to do that - refuse to respond to FIRES, when we all wanna "catch a job"? s***...it's no secret fires are down, and now they have the chance to be second and third due....food for though.

Sad...very sad! I hope it can worked out so no one loses their jobs and the history of that house isn't lost.

Stay Safe!

If such is the case, yes its making a statement, but doesn't the public then lose out?? How does it benefit anyone when people stop, or threaten to stop running to emergencies?

It's called brotherhood...display to the public and politicians that you will stand together. Give them plenty of notice and articulate that the career members are necessary, not optional. Make it clear to the public that this is a CHOICE that is being made by the politicians and that a consequence of the choice to lay off career firefighters will be that the volunteer firefighters will no longer be able to respond. Explain how undermanned Beacon already is, and that the volunteers have a moral obligation to not participate in such a dysfunctional system and perpetuate the myth that adequate fire protection actually exists (as espoused already by several members in this very thread). The politicians in turn will test your resolve. I guarantee you that if the volunteers stay united, this "test" will pass quickly and the career members will either not be laid off, or will be rehired quickly. The elected leaders will simply have no choice...if NO volunteers respond when the bell hits, they will simply have to acquiese to your demands, won't they? If you fail this "test", you will be owned by the politicians and will be reduced to completely useless and innefective ranting on sites such as this.

It's a real shame that politicians seem to zone in on Emergency services FIRST whenever they feel the need to cut the budget and magically find ways to avoid uctting other services. I understand times are tough but jesus taking away firefighters and cops is putting the lives of the citizens and fellow brothers at risk! Some of these government administrations really make me want to vomit sometimes..... Good luck to brothers of Beacon

There are plenty of things you can do; if they do informational picketing, you can join them on the line as a show of solidarity; you can deluge the City Manager's office with letters objecting to the proposed closings/layoffs, you can inform the elected officials of the possible political ramifications at the next election when their terms are up. you can camp out in front of the City Managers house and let his neighbors know that he's putting them and their families at risk, you can assist the paid guys in getting petitions signed by the citizens of Beacon condemning the city's actions, etc. There's all kinds of legally permissible activities you can do without withholding your services as a volunteer.

There are plenty of things you can do; if they do informational picketing, you can join them on the line as a show of solidarity; you can deluge the City Manager's office with letters objecting to the proposed closings/layoffs, you can inform the elected officials of the possible political ramifications at the next election when their terms are up. you can camp out in front of the City Managers house and let his neighbors know that he's putting them and their families at risk, you can assist the paid guys in getting petitions signed by the citizens of Beacon condemning the city's actions, etc. There's all kinds of legally permissible activities you can do without withholding your services as a volunteer.

THESE ARE MUCH BETTER THINGS TO DO! DO NOT THREATEN NOT TO RESPOND!!

It is bad enough some departments are running with below minimum staffing levels, but the thought of laying firefighters off is sickening. Support the City of Beacon Brothers in their battle.

It's not "threatening to not respond" - it is the Chief's of Beacon's mutual aid companies telling Beacon's officials that they have a hard enough time covering their own alarms, and can not guarentee they will be able to get off the floor for mutual aid runs....let them know how much this plan will tax their apparatus, members, and Officers....

It is bad enough some departments are running with below minimum staffing levels, but the thought of laying firefighters off is sickening. Support the City of Beacon Brothers in their battle.

It goes beyond the layoffs though, they want a CITY fire department to run with ONE engine and ONE truck! CRIMINAL!

It should not be a threat. They should just state they are not willing to put their lives at risk because the city is mismanaged. All of the volunteers on this forum want to tell us career guys how they are equally qualified as us. Well now is the time to show it. I spent 4 hrs in the city of Newburgh on Monday night protesting the threat of layoffs to my brothers. I do not live there. I do not travel there often. I do care enough about my brothers safety to give my time to show the unity of this brotherhood. If Beacon fire needs me to march on city hall I will as other locals have done for New Rochelle fire with our threat of layoffs. We stopped going to Mt Vernon because that city refuses to man their city responsibly. You cannot show the cities that you are willing to pick up the slack when they refuse to manage properly. Whether you are from a large city or small town you know how many men are needed to fight a fire. To take away from the equation and add stress to our bodies is blatant disregard for your safety and the public's. Enough already with these threats it is time to stand up to city hall and say stop.

No one has suggested making threats. The suggestion has been made to actually refuse to respond...to refuse to participate in a completely broken system.

In essence, to continue to respond is to say that the career members are not necessary, that the system will work without them. If you believe that the careeer members are not necessary, then continue to respond, but at least admit that you agree with them being laid off.

If you believe that these career members are necessary, then how could anyone continue to serve as a volunteer and help to create the illusion that there is a functional fire department? This would make you even more guilty than the politicians who have made the layoff decision, yes, even more, because, supposedly, as firefighters, career or volunteer, you are more qualified than they are to say what is necessary and what is not in regard to fire protection.

Where is the IAFF and the almighty president that collects our money and where are the other locals stepping up to bat and joining them in thier fight. We are all to blame here if we dont help the brothers in Beacon out and show up to their city council meeting

No one has suggested making threats. The suggestion has been made to actually refuse to respond...to refuse to participate in a completely broken system.

In essence, to continue to respond is to say that the career members are not necessary, that the system will work without them. If you believe that the careeer members are not necessary, then continue to respond, but at least admit that you agree with them being laid off.

If you believe that these career members are necessary, then how could anyone continue to serve as a volunteer and help to create the illusion that there is a functional fire department? This would make you even more guilty than the politicians who have made the layoff decision, yes, even more, because, supposedly, as firefighters, career or volunteer, you are more qualified than they are to say what is necessary and what is not in regard to fire protection.

I underlined part of what you posted and request time to think and consider my response, but know that I have read it and want to choose my words carefully and consider what to and how to say what my respons is to what you wrote.

Where is the IAFF and the almighty president that collects our money and where are the other locals stepping up to bat and joining them in thier fight. We are all to blame here if we dont help the brothers in Beacon out and show up to their city council meeting

I guess you did not see my response. I along with the 5th district of the New York state professional firefighters did march on city hall in Newburgh. I saw at least 60 - 75 members of Westchester fire depts that came to Newburgh. Brothers driving almost 1 1/2 hours to be there. I would have to say you did not show or you would have noticed. If Beacon needs us all they have to do is ask.

Not to steal bnechis' thunder or anything but what will the impact on the city's ISO rating be? Can that be translated into an actual cost for city taxpayers (homeowners and businesses)?

It may very well be less expensive for the taxpayer to keep the fire station open and staffed if they show the savings to the taxpayers in their insurance payments.