Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Yorktown Heights FD NEW Rescue 16

36 posts in this topic

Rescue 1 produces a real quality product. This is a really sharp looking rig. BTY, I do not think that walk thru's have the greatest lost of real estate. I think it is the other way around. With a walk around there is a tremendous waste of unused compartment space. Take a serious look at a walk around & you will see what I mean. With a walk thru, you have the interior of the box which can be used for a tremendous amount of compartment space.

BTY, I do not think that walk thru's have the greatest lost of real estate. I think it is the other way around. With a walk around there is a tremendous waste of unused compartment space. Take a serious look at a walk around & you will see what I mean. With a walk thru, you have the interior of the box which can be used for a tremendous amount of compartment space.

We evaluated the actual cubic space of both the walk around and the walk in and we determined that our current walk in used 47% of the total box space for walking space. With our new rescue less than 10% of the total box space is not used for storage.

My experience is that many walk arounds do not add enough compartments and or shelving and trays to utilize the space that is not filled above the base shelf. It is also often common to see depts. have enoght basic extrication equipment to fill a small rescue but they buy a large "Heavy Rescue" and it ends up with most of the compartments empty. If you look at the compartments on R-16 it looks like they have packed most of the space.

waful likes this

Good Luck YHFD ! Great photos ONLOCATION ! I like the new and old side by side photo.

My son says " It looks like a warehouse " lots of equiptment on board. (Rescue 16)

Bnechis - I have to agree with you at least this one time. The committee did there homework in designing this rig. Yes by looking at the photo's you have utilized the compartment space to its maximum by properly placing equipment & shelving. However, as I said in my previous post, this is not the norm. Usually departments waste compartment space on a walk around box. The middle of the box, where the walk thru compartment would be, is usually empty or has very minimal equipment or supplies in this area. Job well done guys. Excellent design & use of compartment space.

The new one looks great, pretty standard rescue box on a Spartan. The Spartans are not growing on me at all, my department is exclusively Spartan Marion and the Marion is a good product no doubt, but the new Spartan chassis' leave a lot to be desired.

And, I will also ask...what was wrong with the old rescue, other than smaller than the new one?