Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mount Vernon Man Shot: City's New Gunfire Detector Triggered

14 posts in this topic

Mount Vernon man shot in leg; city’s gunfire detector triggered

By Will David • wdavid@lohud.com • November 24, 2009

MOUNT VERNON — A 22-year-old Mount Vernon man was shot and wounded by an unidentified shooter as he walked on Park Avenue Monday night in an incident that triggered the city’s new gunfire detector.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20091124/NEWS02/911240373/Mount-Vernon-man-shot-in-leg--city’-s-gunfire-detector-triggered

New Haven put a gunfire detector system in last year, hasn't been used to solve a crime yet as far as I know. The interesting thing is that these systems are so sensitive they can determine the difference between fireworks and car backfires, cutting down the number of false "shots fired" calls. Great idea for a modern police department.

Hello SageVigiles, New Haven does have the shot spotter in use. I'm a cop at a university in the city & a couple of weeks ago the system reported shots fired & NHPD was able to catch a woman with a gun still in her hands. The call was early on a Saturady morning.

Hello SageVigiles, New Haven does have the shot spotter in use. I'm a cop at a university in the city & a couple of weeks ago the system reported shots fired & NHPD was able to catch a woman with a gun still in her hands. The call was early on a Saturady morning.

Impressive. Job well done.

Stay safe

I love this thing! Just a fabulous law enforcement resource for a high crime community like mt vernon. I'd love to see the system integrated into a well designed network of servo mounted cameras so that security cameras would automatically turn to view the location of gunfire as it occurs, though I understand about budgetary constraints.

Now, if we could work on getting similar systems in place in the other high crime areas like Yonkers, New Rochelle, White Plains, Peekskill, or New York City.

I think there's a real potential that this kind of thing might pay for itself in human life as well as manpower over time.

I love this thing! Just a fabulous law enforcement resource for a high crime community like mt vernon. I'd love to see the system integrated into a well designed network of servo mounted cameras so that security cameras would automatically turn to view the location of gunfire as it occurs, though I understand about budgetary constraints.

Now, if we could work on getting similar systems in place in the other high crime areas like Yonkers, New Rochelle, White Plains, Peekskill, or New York City.

I think there's a real potential that this kind of thing might pay for itself in human life as well as manpower over time.

Both the cities of Yonkers and Mount Vernon have the shot-spotter. The initial purchase and installation was funded by the county and annual upkeep will be the responsibility of the local community.

I'm all for using technology but I have to say that without enough cops on the ground to expeditiously respond to these calls, the return on the investment is going to be marginal at best.

Given the layoffs and hiring freezes that both cities have faced, perhaps the money could have been better spent on personnel rather than technology. Of course we've evolved into a technology dependent society so projects like this one seem like the answer. (sigh)

.... Build a better mouse trap and the mice get smarter .....

Has anyone noticed how many more stabbings and knife assaults there have been lately?

Coincidence? :blink:

Has anyone noticed how many more stabbings and knife assaults there have been lately?

Coincidence? :blink:

Its the economy....thugs cant aford slugs.....blades are reusable and no greenhouse gasses so these thugs are going green :P

helicopper likes this

Actually, there are cameras on these "devices"...when the "shot-spotter" detects potential gun fire, it gives us an immediate location using mathematics and such, activates the cameras, and we are able to listen to the "shot" to determine if it is actually a gun shot or something with a similar sound. The program also allows the user to view the sound in "data" format. Gun shots have a very high peak of sound and in a very short time period, fireworks are close but are usually not as loud and have a longer time period of infliction. Yonkers tested a few on 12/23 and we are just waiting to go live. Personally, I look forward to using this new tool. The company says it doesn't affect arrests on gun violence, me and the boys from the 3rd plan to change that.......

Actually, there are cameras on these "devices"...when the "shot-spotter" detects potential gun fire, it gives us an immediate location using mathematics and such, activates the cameras, and we are able to listen to the "shot" to determine if it is actually a gun shot or something with a similar sound. The program also allows the user to view the sound in "data" format. Gun shots have a very high peak of sound and in a very short time period, fireworks are close but are usually not as loud and have a longer time period of infliction. Yonkers tested a few on 12/23 and we are just waiting to go live. Personally, I look forward to using this new tool. The company says it doesn't affect arrests on gun violence, me and the boys from the 3rd plan to change that.......

Hopefully you'll include a certain helicopter in that effort! :P THAT will make for an interesting summer next year!

You know I'd never forget you guys...lol

Even if you need a bottle of water...

We are apparently running a modified version at this time. Will update when fully capable...

Got our first hit, turned out to be roadway construction near 260 Riverdale Avenue.