Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Four Officers Killed in Coffee Shop Ambush

22 posts in this topic

One of my National Explorer Academy classmates is an Explorer in Lake Stevens, Washington. He texted me about this earlier in the day but I never got the chance to post it. This sounds like another "execution" style ambush on Police Officers, similar to the one last month, except that, as Chris mentioned, that suspect is in custody. When that suspect was arrested they claimed he had "terrorist" motives, hopefully this isn't a continuing part of the same group, or we could have a horrible trend. Either way, too many LODDs in the Pacific Northwest lately...

Alright, just got another update from my buddy in Washington, which I cross checked with some of the media reports.

"Person of interest" in the case is named Maurice Clemmons. This guy has a criminal record longer than the Declaration of Independence

Multiple felony convictions in Arkansas, was sentenced to 60 years but only did 11 before he was granted clemency by then-Governor and now Presidential hopeful (though probably not after today) Mike Huckabee.

Then he moved to Washington in 2004, where he has allegedly committed EIGHT more felonys, including child-rape. For some unknown reason the judge set bail at 150K, EVEN THOUGH HE HAD A FUGITIVE WARRANT, he payed the 15 grand through a bondsman and was released six days ago. That's the last of the record until this shooting this morning.

Maurice Clemmons, Man Wanted for Questioning, has Long Criminal History

November 29, 2009

By Seattle Times Staff

Maurice Clemmons, the 37-year-old Tacoma man being sought for questioning in the killing of four Lakewood police officers this morning, has a long criminal record punctuated by violence, erratic behavior and concerns about his mental health.

I pray that there will be no need for a trial for this animal. The only thing the taxpayer's should be responsible for is replacing the bullet's needed to take this guy out...My heartfelt condolences to the families of the fallen Officer's and their Department.

I hope that when captured those who participated in this are taken down with "extreme prejudice". Save the taxpayer's money, no jail time for them...

Alright, just got another update from my buddy in Washington, which I cross checked with some of the media reports.

"Person of interest" in the case is named Maurice Clemmons. This guy has a criminal record longer than the Declaration of Independence

Multiple felony convictions in Arkansas, was sentenced to 60 years but only did 11 before he was granted clemency by then-Governor and now Presidential hopeful (though probably not after today) Mike Huckabee.

Then he moved to Washington in 2004, where he has allegedly committed EIGHT more felonys, including child-rape. For some unknown reason the judge set bail at 150K, EVEN THOUGH HE HAD A FUGITIVE WARRANT, he payed the 15 grand through a bondsman and was released six days ago. That's the last of the record until this shooting this morning.

I wonder if it was sloppy work by the prosecutors office? Or if he fell though the cracks in the system; I'm surprised that Mike Huckabee would grant clemency to someone with a rap sheet as long as this character has. Either way if he's convicted, he should pay the ultimate price.

post-1020-125956071187.jpg

Sgt. Mark Renninger, 39. He had 13 years of law enforcement experience and is survived by a wife and three children. He worked first with the Tukwila Police Department.

Officer Ronald Owens, 37. He had 12 years of law enforcement experience and is survived by a former wife and a daughter. He used to work for the Washington State Patrol.

Officer Tina Griswold, 40. She had 14 years of law enforcement experience. She is survived by her husband and two children. She's a former Lacey police officer. She was awarded a lifesaving medal in July.

Officer Greg Richards, 42. He had eight years of law enforcement experience and is survived by his wife and three children. He's a former Kent police officer.

All joined the Lakewood Police Department as it was forming.

"Shortly after 12 a.m. today, a King County sheriff's armored vehicle was brought to the home at East Yesler Way and 32nd Avenue South, which was bathed in bright lights. Police began using loudspeakers, asking whoever was inside to call 911.

Police yelled over the loudspeakers, "Mr. Clemmons we want to minimize the situation."

Police responded to the home around 8:44 p.m. A woman who was leaving the home was stopped by officers and told them Clemmons was on the property and bleeding"

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010386387_webleschihome29m.html

"The President of the Lakewood Police Independent Guild, Brian D. Wurts, issued a statement, calling the murders a "cold blooded assassination."

Wurts said a benevolent account has been established for the families of the officers.

Send donations to LPIG Benevolent Fund at PO Box 99579 Lakewood, WA 98499."

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Police-officers-shot-78089882.html

"Suspect in Lakewood police shootings was wounded, may be dead"

"Maurice Clemmons, the man suspected of killing four Lakewood police officers in a Parkland coffee shop, was shot and perhaps seriously wounded by one of the officers before fleeing, Pierce County sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said this morning."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010386387_webleschihome29m.html

I wonder if it was sloppy work by the prosecutors office? Or if he fell though the cracks in the system; I'm surprised that Mike Huckabee would grant clemency to someone with a rap sheet as long as this character has. Either way if he's convicted, he should pay the ultimate price.

I think Huckabee's clemency was for the first offense. It was a reduction of a 95 year sentence because he was "only" 17 at the time of the crime.

They are now saying the suspect was definatley wounded, and possibly killed:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091130/ap_on_re_us/us_officers_shot

Officials are now telling the media that the suspect is getting help from friends and/or family. According to the Pierce County PIO "Basically, there's no way that he could be doing this by himself; he was shot in the abdomen."

Also, people who know Clemmons told officials that he told them to "watch the news" because he was going to "kill cops."

Every one of them should be pinched for aiding/abetting and/or accessory to murder.

Officials are now telling the media that the suspect is getting help from friends and/or family. According to the Pierce County PIO "Basically, there's no way that he could be doing this by himself; he was shot in the abdomen."

Also, people who know Clemmons told officials that he told them to "watch the news" because he was going to "kill cops."

Every one of them should be pinched for aiding/abetting and/or accessory to murder.

AGREED 100%

What I heard the spokesman for the Pierce County Sheriff's Office say was they were going to his friends/families homes and checking for him. If something was amiss or they had evidence they were "harboring a fugitive", they would be arrested and it would go on like this until Clemmons is on his own...

I hope he has not been able to seek medical help for his wounds and he is dying or has died a horrible death from the wounds...

Here's a little more background on the suspects history and how he managed to get out on bail, if this isn't an abortion of justice I'm not quite sure what is... Make sure you take your blood pressure meds before reading this one. If ever a Line of Duty Death was to change the way the law works, this should be the time.

Anyway, I'm glad this scumsucker was taken out and that the Officers involved in this shooting were not harmed. Now the Brothers and Sisters in Washington can focus on honoring and burying their fallen comrades.

Four Days in May Set Stage for Sunday's Tragedy

Seattle Times

By Nick Perry, Maureen O'Hagan, Jonathan Martin and Ken Armstrong

December 1, 2009

Over four days in May, Maurice Clemmons' behavior and mental state deteriorated. Family members worried he had gone crazy, that he was verging on collapse. His conduct became so erratic — punching a sheriff's deputy, forcing relatives to strip naked, according to police reports — that authorities eventually charged him with eight felonies, including one count of child rape.

Still, at the end of those four days, Clemmons wound up on the loose — a delusional man with a propensity for violence, who had managed to escape the grip of authorities.

Just caught a piece of the news conference on Fox News. Seattle Police Officer riding solo, 7 years on the job, alertly spots a stolen vehicle, unoccupied and running. Radios in, is about to investigate when he sees someone coming up from behind the patrol car. It's the perp. Cop orders him to stop and show his hands, perp does not comply, then makes a run around the patrol car. Officer fires numerous rounds taking down suspect. SFD medic unit responds and pronounces.

The murderer is dead. And from the info at the news conference describing the way it went down, it sounds like he was about to ambush this cop.

This Seattle police officer is reported to be okay and unhurt.

Three people arrested for aiding perp in alluding LE; more arrests expected.

Edited by efdcapt115

The Fallen Officers' memorial service will be held today. I know there are Officers from Connecticut going out to show their respects. Maybe some of our EMTBravoWest members will be there as well. Sounds like the community really got involved to help. The Tacoma Dome is donating the facility, local shops and culinary schools are donating food, UPS Store donated 25,000 programs, hotels are giving special rates for LEOs/etc going to the service. The Director of the FBI will also be in attendance. Its a shame that the community doesn't support law enforcement more until something like this happens.

My Explorer buddy from out there is going, with a good portion of his Post as well. I've had the opportunity to go to a Line of Duty funeral as an Explorer, and I think its an important experience for anyone who wants to go into law enforcement or the fire service. It truly gives you perspective about the Brotherhood when you see Officers from literally every corner of the country (and some of our neighbors from the North) show up simply because the deceased wore a badge.

May the fallen Officers Rest in Peace.

The line of police cars in the procession is estimated to be over 7 miles long...

Press Release - Partial list of agencies participating in motorcade

Also, this is interesting. Remember how NIMS is supposed to be able to expand and be applied to ALL types of operations? Funny how the West Coast is so much better at this than we are over here.

Over 20,000 Expected at Tribute to Slain Officers

News Tribune

December 6th, 2009

Rob Carson

The organizational structure set up to plan Tuesday's ceremony follows a tried and true approach called the "Incident Command System," a quasi-military approach that relies on clear delegation of authority and chain of command.

ICS is commonly used throughout the United States for a wide range of emergencies particularly when several different agencies are involved.

"It's a way to get order out of chaos," Tom Minor said. Minor, a Pierce County Emergency Management program manager in charge of urban search and rescue, sometimes is referred to by fellow workers as "the Godfather of ICS" because of his years of experience using the system in assignments to disasters around the world.

Also, this is interesting. Remember how NIMS is supposed to be able to expand and be applied to ALL types of operations? Funny how the West Coast is so much better at this than we are over here.

Alex,

Remember where ICS got it's start...in our wildland fires in the 70's...we train and train on this and do use it for many things. ICS/NIMS are great tools and can be modified to use for almost any large scale event. I've seen it used for expos and open houses.

Also, just as an aside, I have a friend in the Seattle area who said the temp this morning was 9 degrees.

Duane