Mamaroneck Engine 39

Photo by C.Page

post-1209-126011028516.jpg

Port Chester Engine 64

post-1209-126011033984.jpg

Ok now thime for some Eastchester

Rescue 5

Photo by C.Page

chris why did eastchester do away with the rescue company?? and where was it stationed

chris why did eastchester do away with the rescue company?? and where was it stationed

Nice photos of the rigs! The Eastchester Rescue was located in the Bronxville firehouse. After a consultant's report was done on staffing it was decided to move the Rescue Chauffer onto Engine 29, and eliminate Rescue 5.

As with the pull-station issue, there were pros and cons to the move, and merit to both sides of the arguement.

Chris

Also, why did Eastchester do away with Engine 28 as a "Front Line" Engine Company? (PS - That Brockway Rescue 5 was a "BEAST" - Man, you could hear that truck coming north on Midland Avenue from Miles Away (That Siren and Horn was LOUD !!!)

Engine 28 (Tuckahoe)

Photo by C.Page

Norwich, Ct had bought a 1942 (?) American LaFrance Tiller Ladder from New Rochelle, N.Y. just before I went on the dept there in 1975. It operated out of a firehouse on Weaver St. In fact we used to call it the "Weaver Street Special". I think the Chief paid $5,000 for it. The aerial itself was in good shape, but what a tank to drive. I never took pictures of it because I was too ashamed of it. It was one big Ox to handle. But I sure do wish I had taken rig shots of it now. If anybody knows the rig I'm talking about and has pictures of it, I'd sure love to see them.

Here is a picture of the sale of the old 1947 ALF "Weaver Street Special". It was replaced by a 1971 ALF reamount.

post-1341-126011642292.jpg

post-1341-126011643547.jpg

That was an awesome looking rescue that Eastchester had

It was a really strong Brockway, and it was fun to drive. But you had to be very careful with it. It was involved in a fatal MVA, which tempered one's enthusiasm for operating it; knowing what had occured in the past.

The problem was it wasn't adequately staffed or equipped. The tools and equipment that EFD now carries on it's engines and trucks are far superior to anything Rescue 5 used to have.

An ISO report from the 1950's recommended that Rescue 5 be staffed with 7 career firefighters in some version of a "flying squad" for the district. That was met with "Option One"; do nothing, for a very long time.

Edit: for wording

Edited by efdcapt115

Does anyone from Eastchester FD remember the "Bread Truck" (Or some called the "Bakery Truck") that preceeded the Brockway, as Rescue 5? (I think I remember someone locally purchasing that old Rescue 5 (The Bread Truck) and used it for his business for a period of time. Is that Bread Truck rig still around?)

Does anyone from Eastchester FD remember the "Bread Truck" (Or some called the "Bakery Truck") that preceeded the Brockway, as Rescue 5? (I think I remember someone locally purchasing that old Rescue 5 (The Bread Truck) and used it for his business for a period of time. Is that Bread Truck rig still around?)

Hey Mack,

The Bread Truck was actually the old Fire Patrol Company, not the Rescue Co. It also was stationed in the Bronxville firehouse but was not a front line rig, and was not in the run-code. The patrol truck itself is still in service, now with a private contractor who has really nice equipment. He keeps the truck in fine condition and works it as well.

Oh my God!!!! That Ardsley engine has to be the ugliest rig i have ever seen!! Who made that?

Oh my God!!!! That Ardsley engine has to be the ugliest rig i have ever seen!! Who made that?

come on now, those 2 yellow things from Yonkers are Uglier !!! ( # 307 & 310 ) those appear to be GMC's, right ??? I love GMC, but what happen to the front, ??? Nose thing ? yuck...

That would be a Young Crusader. I have to agree with Tanker10 Eng, the Compac was much uglier, a International cab with its nose chopped off. The Young was an attempt for low profile, with high visibility for the driver. Its looks grow on you. Personally nothing compares to early Eighties Hahn.

That would be a Young Crusader. I have to agree with Tanker10 Eng, the Compac was much uglier, a International cab with its nose chopped off. The Young was an attempt for low profile, with high visibility for the driver. Its looks grow on you. Personally nothing compares to early Eighties Hahn.Here is PLeasantville's 1980 Hahn, Ex- Patrol 7, later Rescue 47. ( retired in 2006)

post-917-126015799856.jpg

Edited by grumpyff

Mt Kisco's 1983 Mack Cf (Eng 106?)

I'm pretty sure Mutual Engine's assigned numbers are either 103 or 104.

I'm pretty sure Mutual Engine's assigned numbers are either 103 or 104.

You are correct. 105 & 106 belong to The Independents and 102, 103, and 104 are the Mutuals. The rig pictured above served as Engine 104 from 1983 until 2007 when it was replaced by a Pierce. It is still currently in service as Engine 102!

You can actually see in the picture above right to the left of the side-view mirror before the crew window the vertical "104" in gold leaf.

Edited by NYRangers30

Here is a picture of the sale of the old 1947 ALF "Weaver Street Special". It was replaced by a 1971 ALF reamount.

Yes, "LTNRFD" that is it. The old Weaver Street Special. I am amazed somebody got a picture of it. We had it for about 7 years and then some dept bought it from us for the aerial it had. Thanks guy.

Yes, "LTNRFD" that is it. The old Weaver Street Special. I am amazed somebody got a picture of it. We had it for about 7 years and then some dept bought it from us for the aerial it had. Thanks guy.

I'll try to post some others in a couple of days.......

Norwich, Ct had bought a 1942 (?) American LaFrance Tiller Ladder from New Rochelle, N.Y. just before I went on the dept there in 1975. It operated out of a firehouse on Weaver St. In fact we used to call it the "Weaver Street Special". I think the Chief paid $5,000 for it. The aerial itself was in good shape, but what a tank to drive. I never took pictures of it because I was too ashamed of it. It was one big Ox to handle. But I sure do wish I had taken rig shots of it now. If anybody knows the rig I'm talking about and has pictures of it, I'd sure love to see them.

Here are a few more pictures of the "Weaver Street Special".

post-1341-126040420276.jpg

post-1341-126040430257.jpg

post-1341-12604044485.jpg

"LTNRFD", Thanks again for posting more of those pictures of "The Weaver Street Special". I'm going to pass the word onto a few guys that I know who will really appreciate it. When we had it, there was no front seat in it. So we sat on a old wooden soda case. When I said it was built like a "tank", I wasn't kidding. You could beat the tractor section of that truck with a sledge hammer and not put a dent in it. It had a push button starter with a manuel chock. It was a gasoline engine and you sure better not miss a gear as you were shifting.

"The Weaver Street Special" saw a few jobs in our small city of Norwich(Ct), and I got to tell you, "it never let us down". It was our reserve ladder until we got a new 1979 American LaFrance Tiller with enclosed cab, air conditioning, heat and even an automatic transmission. I never thought I'd be writing about a truck that I was so glad to say good bye to. But now, some 35 years later, I kinda miss the Old Weaver Street.

Edited by nfd2004