Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBE

Wanna be an FDNY Dispatcher???

27 posts in this topic

We're always looking for help. Requirements can be found through Personnel at Metrotech (718) 999-2000. We have been hiring people provisionally, and when the new test is written, you take it. Hours are 7a-7p(2 days) 7p-7a(2 nights) then 4 or 5 days off depending on your spot in the staff rotation. Depending on how well you do in your first element of training(Alarm Receipt), you can possibly get the borough of your choice. (Not guaranteed)

Advantages:You get to work for one of the busiest and famous Fire Departments in the World. If you want to become a firefighter, this is a good way to get your foot in the door and get an idea of what goes on.(The highest ranking former Dispatcher is now a BC, and we have a number of guys who have become firefighters, most notably, FF Joe DiBernardo of R-3 who was injured at the Fatal Fire last month in the Bronx)

The time you accumulate counts towards the pension at the end of your career. A good bunch of people to work with and wealths of knowledge about not only NYC, but the fire service in general. And you may have me as an instructor or boss!!! :peace:

Drawbacks: A few, staffing is short so overtime is plentiful. Most of it is voluntary, some of it is forced. The starting pay isn't the greatest, (Something like $31,000/yr).We're working with a CAD system that is older than me(and I am 31) You have to establish residency in the 5 boroughs within 90 days of hire. And you would probably have to deal with me, either as an instructor, or as a boss :twisted: !!!!!

We're putting in a class of 20 in a few weeks, and there will probably be more spots opening up just to fill the ranks, so if being behind the scenes is something that interests you, give a call. Any questions, comments, concerns?? PM me.

Thanks for all the info!

I would have taken this job a long time ago....in fact, I would probaly even consider it now...however, the residency requirment totally nixes it for me. I am not willing to move to NYC for this job. I don't understand why that rule is neccasary.

I really hope they wise up and do away with the residency rule.

Oh come now. What percentage of people working for FDNY actually live in NYC?

That sounds great, but very discouraged about the residency.

The residency deal threw me off too! I could be wrong, but i thought it was different for NYPD (and FD maybe)? I thought you had to live in NYC (the 5 boroughs), Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland or Orange? Like i said, i could be wrong, but either way, its kind of silly! If you need to hire & people want the job & are willing to commute, whats the big deal? Like WAS967 said, how many NYPD members live within the 5 boroughs? And at a starting pay of $31,000, how could you afford to live within the 5 boroughs? Its just a shame that the people who deserve more $$$, don't get it (i.e. dispatchers, FF's, PO's, teachers, etc.). Anyway, still would be an awesome job dispatching for FDNY! I give alot of credit to the men & women behind the radios & switchboards for FDNY & any department for that matter! It can be a very stressful job & alot is riding on you at all times. Good luck to anyone who decides to give it a try!

afd...

This is the exam announcement from a past dispatchers exam. It has all the info/requirements, you may want to read it if you are interested! I didn't see anything on age requirements, although i just briefly skimmed through it. If i had to guess, i would say the minimum age would be 18 to be hired. You're best bet would be to talk to "JBE" here on the Network tofind out further info! Hope this helped you a bit!

http://nyc.gov/html/dcas/pdf/firealarmdispatch.pdf

I look at it this way. If you want to move into the city, that's fine. I did. If you know anyone with a city address, use it and get at least one utility bill in your name, and you can get around it.(Wink Wink) Our union has been fighting to get the residency requirement dropped for years.

the residency requirement is really ridiculous....what purpose does it serve? mabye give extra points on the test if the canidate is a resident of the city, but come on......

There was a law passed in the 80's stating that anyone hired by my job after 84 or 86 must reside in the 5 boroughs(I think it was 86). If anything, IMHO, there should be a compromise. After X amount of years,(We'll say 3-5) you have the opportunity to move out. Not that I don't love living here, I do want the opportunity somewhere before I retire to move out.

Check the NY Daily News, apparently there is an ad for the job in there.

And, to sweeten the pot some. I was told two weeks ago that a class of anywhere between 20 and 30 is coming in.

Just got home from my Union meeting. The Union is trying to get a "Hard to Fill" status for my job. If this goes through, residency requirement...GONE!!! I'll keep you folks posted. If it goes through, you can bet I will be out and about recruiting.

Class of 12 just got hired this week. The residency requirement should be going bye bye upon Bloombags' re-election. We're hiring provisional dispatchers(no test). Not sure when the next dispatchers test will be given, but if you come on as a provisional, this gives you time to learn what's going on before the actual test. I'm not teaching right now, and I'm not sure I will be teaching any time soon. But, I will be available to assist anyone who might possibly be interested in the challenge. Also, we're short bosses as well, and we're having at least 4 promoted to provisional supervising Dispatcher within the next few weeks.

Edited by JBE

I'm up for some part time work. Already trained...sort of.

No part timers, sorry. Either you're in or you're out.

Only 7 of the 12 hired made it through the firsts stage of training. It will be interesting to see how the rest handle life on the platform for the next few months. Waiting to hear about the next class.

What happens to those who didnt make it through the first round, do they get a second chance or are they done?

What are the requirements to becoming a FDNY Dispatcher?

It depends. Most people hired lately ae hired as provisionals(no civil service test). If you don't make it, you can take the test and be called when your list number comes up.

Requirements are, a High School Diploma, 2 years of experience in an accredited Volunteer or Paid Fire Department. 2 years in some sort of emergency dispatching service. I would suggest calling Personell at HQ to get the full list of requirements. The big hang up that a lot of people have is you must establish residency in the 5 boroughs of NYC within 90 days of hire.

Edited by JBE

Thanks a lot JBE. Yeah that City Residency could be a problem!

As I said earlier, the residency is a big hang up. However, if Bloombag gets re-elected, that is supposed to change. I'll believe it when I see it though.

One of the things I found out is, find a friend who lives in the city or join up with a friend and rent an apartment together.

One other last bit of advice. You may be a volunteer upstate(like I was), you may have buffed NYC for years, or have friends in the job. It doesn't matter. This will be like nothing you have ever experienced. Your experiences may give you a leg up on people who come from a non fire background, but it will not be the be all end all.

So, in closing, like they say when you start up in probie school anywhere. Eyes and ears open, MOUTH SHUT!!

Have a nice day!!!!

Taken from www.fdnewyork.com

The Bureau of Fire Communications is seeking Fire Alarm Dispatchers (FADs) to: receive and transmit alarms of fire and emergency using various systems, including Computer Assisted Dispatch System (CADS), Mobile Data Terminals (MDTs), telephone, voice alarm, Emergency Reporting System (ERS), two-way radio, and PC based database programs; receive and process calls in regard to administrative issues or complaints from FDNY field units, other FDNY bureaus, City agencies and/or the public; interpret information received; determine the amount and type of apparatus, and which units to send to alarms; relocate companies as needed; adjust the number and/or type of units at fire scenes based on the conditions and/or predetermined response assignment protocols; operate department radio and voice alarm systems to announce alarms and receive fire company acknowledgements of responses to alarms; announce special messages and notify designated parties of incidents as required; perform related work.

All candidates must meet the following qualifications:

A four year high school diploma or it's educational equivalent, AND:

(1) Two years of satisfactory full-time experience, within the last five years, as an airport or railroad traffic controller, a fire alarm dispatcher in a Class "A" Fire Alarm System, or in radio or in another communication activity involving emergency dispatching; or

(2) Three years of responsible, satisfactory full-time experience, within the last six years handling the receipt of multiple, simultaneous calls and radio dispatching in response thereto; or

(3) Three years of satisfactory full-time fire fighting and/or fire dispatching experience within the last six years as a member of a municipal or federal fire service/department or the New York City Fire Patrol; or

(4) Three years of satisfactory service as a member in good standing of an accredited volunteer fire department within the last five years. To be creditable, such service will be evaluated in accordance with the verifiable points system established by the volunteer fire department to meet the minimum yearly service requirement for being a member of good standing. Written verification by the highest-ranking member of this volunteer fire department that this requirement has been satisfied will be required.

College education may be substituted for a maximum of one year of experience as described in paragraphs 2, 3, and 4 only, on the basis that 30 undergraduate semester credits from an accredited college is equivalent to one year of experience.

NOTE: Experience in the following types of positions is not acceptable as experience listed in paragraphs 1 or 2 above: housing superintendent, hospital page operator, hospital telephone operator, customer service personnel, airport dispatcher other than air traffic controller.

Interested candidates are to send their resume to:

Cathy Cento

Bureau of Personnel

FAD Recruitment/DN

New York City Fire Department

9 Metrotech Center

Brooklyn, NY 11201

CITY RESIDENCY REQUIRED WITHIN 90 DAYS FROM DATE OF HIRE!!!