Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

AP: Court urged to reject one plan to diversify FDNY

13 posts in this topic

http://www.lohud.com/article/20100102/NEWS05/1020353/Court-urged-to-reject-one-plan-to-diversify-FDNY?GID=ozsOfbFrNeZ3srY71SjJA1IABaw+3eMOosTGvpfJ8o0%3D

NEW YORK (AP) — Lawyers for New York City and the Justice Department have urged a federal judge to reject one group's plan to diversify the city's fire department through a strict minority hiring quota.

A firefighters fraternal group called The Vulcan Society has proposed that the department should be forced to make six of every 10 new hires either black or Hispanic.

this is insanity!!! can anyone say reverse discrimination? Someone please tell me when this is going to end because the way i see it being a healthy white male I'll never get on the job if this keeps up!!

It didn't work when the FDNY was forced to do it in the 70's why would anyone think it will work now. If you can't pass a test or physical or you don't score high enough to get a good number on the list then you don't deserve the job. Let's remember lives are at risk. Minority groups are given more opportunity for practici ng for these tests then any other group. More money is spent on recruiting minority groups then other groups. I've worked with plenty of minorities in my time on the job and most have done a hell of a job. I don't care who you are, what color you are, what nationality you are, if you can't pass the test you should find another job.

reverse discrimination at its best.... man its great to be white...............

like stated above. if you pass you got the job, enuff said

flyboy14295 likes this

If you can't pass a test or physical or you don't score high enough to get a good number on the list then you don't deserve the job.

'Nuff Said.

Oh I forgot, it's a black president. We now have to cater to the minorities.

Edited by flyboy14295

'Nuff Said.

Oh I forgot, it's a black president. We now have to cater to the minorities.

Grow up. This has nothing to do with Obama. This has been a workplace cancer since affirmative action first began.

INIT915 likes this

this is insanity!!! can anyone say reverse discrimination? Someone please tell me when this is going to end because the way i see it being a healthy white male I'll never get on the job if this keeps up!!

I can say it "REVERSE DISCRIMINATION" However.there is no such a thing! Its just plain ole DISCRIMINATION....

ny10570 likes this

I'm curious...are there any black or hispanic FDNY Firefighters who are EMT Bravo members? What is your opinion on this? From what I have seen, there is no racism or discrimination against minority groups attempting to become FDNY Firefighters. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Why would an active FDNY member who is black or hispanic support the position the Vulcans have taken on this? It seems to me that if this came to pass, it would be very harmful to ALL members of FDNY for a number of reasons, no?

"A firefighters fraternal group called The Vulcan Society has proposed that the department should be forced to make six of every 10 new hires either black or Hispanic."

Are 60% of the applicants (those who sign up for the test, not those that complete the process) black or hispanic? If there are less than 60% even if everyone ignors the latest Supreme Court direction how can this group propose this with a stright face, if they can not get enough blacks or hispanics to actually sign up for the test.

Last numbers I remember, FDNY was having difficulty in getting 20-30% turnout.

helicopper likes this

What I have trouble grasping is, commercial test-preparers create most of these exams with a great deal of input from the end users, and they go out of their way to be non-discriminatory.

How come results are questioned or get thrown out and certain groups cry foul because after all is said and done, a number of certain individuals from different backgrounds cannot get the same grades as others who took the same test?

A test is a test.

You prepare, you study, then you take the test.

If you do poorly, don't blame the test.

Maybe it's me....I don't get it.

helicopper likes this

Grow up. This has nothing to do with Obama. This has been a workplace cancer since affirmative action first began.

Agreed. This lawsuit started under Pres. Bush (who you may recall was White and Conservative) and was continued under Pres. Obama. Any indication the race of the President is a controlling factor comes off as ignorant at best.

What I have trouble grasping is, commercial test-preparers create most of these exams with a great deal of input from the end users, and they go out of their way to be non-discriminatory.

How come results are questioned or get thrown out and certain groups cry foul because after all is said and done, a number of certain individuals from different backgrounds cannot get the same grades as others who took the same test?

A test is a test.

You prepare, you study, then you take the test.

If you do poorly, don't blame the test.

Maybe it's me....I don't get it.

Ok, I'll explain it for you. It's actually quite simple. If a person does poorly on a test, then it has to be the fault of the test and can't possibly be because they were unprepared to take the test, aren't qualified to be hired or whatever. After all, this is America where everyone is entitled to be anything that they want to be, right?

How much more watered down does the test have to be?? I mean, there was a picture in one of the questions on the 2007 open competitive that said, "The fire chief wears a white helmet, find him in this picture." A drunken teenager could have passed that test. How much money was invested in the last test and recruitment?? You can lead a horse to water...

Has it ever occured to the Vulcan Society that maybe, just maybe, there is a majority of the minority who DON'T want the job?? Kindly refer to my last remark regarding the horse. How much further backwards does the city and the FDNY have to bend over, before someone says, "That's enough"???

I took the written exam 3 times, and missed a 4th due to my military service. Failed the physical the first and third times, blew off the second due to personal obligations(rassum frassum ex-wife!!!!) Now, I'm 36 and too old. I have nobody to blame but myself. I didn't put in the training and dedication required. Furthermore I have no intention of saying I was discriminated against, I just didn't put forth the effort. Maybe that's something the Vulcans should look into, making sure the people they so desparately want to get on the job PUT FORTH THE EFFORT!!!!

We may live in the land of opportunity, but the opportunity can only become a reality if you work for it, not if it's handed to you.