Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
post4031

Technical Rescue Teams

64 posts in this topic

The article cited in Fire Engineering was written by Billy Fitz of Yonkers and mistakenly credited to Doc Kiernan of New Rochelle by the magazine editors. Billy did a great job on that article .Which proves very informative

Bnechis and 791075 like this

You just made his point by bashing LOL.

There's a difference between bashing and stating an opinion. Given the chief's expertise on the subject, he is more than qualified to render an opinion on the subject that he spent most of his life doing.

Now a question of my own. If the turnover is so high, how do you keep highly trained personnel available? And why is the turnover so high?

I say that you should want a trained FF even if all you can afford is a volunteer (yes we meet all national and state standards regardless of what some of you think, and yes some volunteer leaders don't lead, but I see that in career departments as well) with minimum staffing and if it means a mix of volunteer until you can afford more, you should embrace it for the good of your community. I guess my glasses are a little too rose colored....

I think you're actually agreeing with me and some of the others who think we should have minimum standards for FF. If a volunteer FF has appropriate training and experience - and since you brought up leadership, supervision - then I have no issue with volunteers. I do have an issue with the guy getting sworn in on Tuesday, putting FF stickers on his truck on Wednesday, blue lights on Friday and he shows up at a fire scene wearing turnout gear on Saturday and expects to be called a firefighter. Nope, the emperor there surely has no clothes!

There's a difference between bashing and stating an opinion. Given the chief's expertise on the subject, he is more than qualified to render an opinion on the subject that he spent most of his life doing.

I agree there is a difference between bashing and opinion.

But when the man (TFD141) ends his post with "I usually don't answer requests on this site as it seems anything a volunteer does on this site is no good and eventually turns into a bashing and pissing match." and the very next post says "Did he just wake up out of a coma? Do they take that long to respond? I think that's bashing and proves his point.

In the end I guess its what kitchen table you sit around, we will agree to disagree. Be safe all.

I agree there is a difference between bashing and opinion.

But when the man (TFD141) ends his post with "I usually don't answer requests on this site as it seems anything a volunteer does on this site is no good and eventually turns into a bashing and pissing match." and the very next post says "Did he just wake up out of a coma? Do they take that long to respond? I think that's bashing and proves his point.

In the end I guess its what kitchen table you sit around, we will agree to disagree. Be safe all.

That was just a wiseass remark. It didn't attack him about being a volunteer.