Followers 0
x129K

I like..........

13 posts in this topic

.firehouse traditions.....

I like leather helmets...

I like Gamewell Systems...

I like rubber pull up boots....

I like doing what it takes to get the job done, even if it isnt "by the book"....

I like old brick firehouses...

I like orange Fireball gloves....

I like booster hoses....even more if they are on reels.....

I like veritcal ventilation, but not as an afterthought...

I like "progression", but not at the expense of tradtion.

Too many traditions are lost in this day and age..

x635 likes this

I like getting together after a fire, training or just to hang out with my brothers and sisters at the local watering hole or coffee shop just to have a BS session. That is what is lost today also, everyone is too GD busy.

I like getting together after a fire, training or just to hang out with my brothers and sisters at the local watering hole or coffee shop just to have a BS session. That is what is lost today also, everyone is too GD busy.

ditto!!!!

Speaking of traditions, don't forget good old fashioned ball breaking. To many thin skins these days.

chris likes this

Speaking of traditions, don't forget good old fashioned ball breaking. To many thin skins these days.

I like long walks off short piers and ditto to fjp326's comment! I laugh the whole 24 hour shift!

Amen FJP!

I also like those post-call BS sessions. The guys in my house STILL will do a call at 2AM and sit around the firehouse until the Sun comes up.

I like the family feel of the firehouse. You may hate a guy today, but at the next fire or bad call, you might buy each other coffee afterwards!

I like when a paid guy doesn't forget his roots and still vollies. :unsure:

I miss the days when it was OK to actually take pride in your company or your department, and not be ashamed of what you do.

I miss the days of the inter-company sh!t talking. It was never meant to be vindictive, but it gave you more pride and drove more people to try harder and do better. As FJP said, now everyone is so thin skinned that you almost have to have an attorney next to you, giving you a nod, before you break someones balls.

I miss some of the guys that used to be around but have left us either because of personal reasons or too much BS in the firehouse.

I miss sled riding in the Stokes during snow standbys.

I miss the days when apparatus had personality. Seems that newer rigs lack it.

I miss going to calls and people thanked you. Now they want to know why your apparatus are in front of their house, why we opened a hydrant to make sure it works, why a Chief parks in their driveway when the call is across the street and....

And, most of all, I miss the days of riding in the open jumpseats, standing up ( :o ), screaming through town and people waved or looked on in admiration. Now they cover their ears and shake their heads in dismay because they don't want to hear us as we respond to someone's emergency.

Thank you public. :rolleyes:

post4031 likes this

I like(ed)

-riding the back step with a full crew.

-open jump seats, but not in winter

-the smell in the apparatus bay of gasoline, damp hose, and a tinge of burnt wood after a job

-the looks on 1st graders faces when we visit for Fire Prevention Week

-I liked it when the old timers used to tell stories and we were young enough to make fun of them...... now we're the old timers.

I hope you weren't talking about me with that! I know who you are Frank! BTW, "too", not "to"

I hope you weren't talking about me with that! I know who you are Frank! BTW, "too", not "to"

QTIP

chris likes this

Isn't this the truth.

I miss the days when new members came in and knew thier place.

I miss the days when officers were leaders...not puppets who cater to the politically correct.

I miss the days when a simple thank you was all that was needed.

I miss the days when me and you could argue about something and it was forgotten about.

I miss the days when you could break someone's ba**s and not worry about hazing charges.

I miss the days when fire commissioners were fire commissioners...not commissioners who want to be everything else.

What I miss most is the brotherhood which is dwindling away...I hope to see it return.

chris and Remember585 like this